Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Microsoft Surface Pro or HP Spectre x360 13t

Options
Legume
Legume Posts: 14,627
edited November 2017 in EggHead Forum
For personal use, but need small enough that I can carry along with my work laptop when I need to.  Anyone love or hate either of these?  Limitations with the surface pro?

Comments

• EgmergencyDoc
    Options
    I love the x360. I call it the MacBook killer, lighter, faster and the deal I got on it way cheaper. Had it for a little over 9 months and it is going strong. Only complaint is one of the hinges has loosened up a bit. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I have the Surface Pro 4 for personal use and absolutely love it. Got the bundle at Costco last year that included the pen and keyboard. It's light, fast, and had zero bloatware installed from factory.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Legume
    Options
    @EgmergencyDoc how well does it work as a tablet?

@dmw this will be my only personal computer - work well in that capacity?  
  • DMW
    Options
    Yep, it's my only personal. I have the Surface Pro 4 with i5 processor, 4GB RAM, and 128G SSD. You might end up relying on an external HD for bulk storage though. It does have a micro-SD slot for storage expansion.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • EgmergencyDoc
    Options
    @Legume it is my only computer for work and personal use. I don't use it in pure tablet much at all due to the keyboard being on your lap (although it shuts off in that mode), but it is nice to have touch capability. It handles 2 - 23" monitors flawlessly at home. Boot time to full y usable is <1 min.

A couple considerations:
    If you want something that absolutely works in tablet mode and feels like a iPad type thing get the surface. Also there is no docking station available for the laptop if that's a dealbreaker for you as well. Finally just remember there's no cd/dvd drive as well. I can't comment on gaming much as I don't do any now.
  • DMW
    Options
    They're both good options. Not sure you can go wrong. As @EgmergencyDoc
    mentioned, if you want to use it in tablet mode, Surface Pro is probably the better choice.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Legume
    Options
    Thanks, I think this all helps.  I used to use my work computer as my personal computer, backed my stuff up to a portable HDD.  Security at work has effectively eliminated any personal use.  I tried an iPad and loved it as a tablet, but it sucks for anything else - at least for me.  Sounds like what I want is a surface maybe because I did really like using a tablet.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,347
    Options
    SP4 here. i7, 16GB RAM, 256SSD. Use as my personal device. 

I highly recommend at least an i5 processor and 8 GB RAM 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    I like the Surface line. Had a Surface Book since day one. It had a rocky start but has been solid since they worked out all the bugs which were mostly intel driver related.
    I wouldn't trade it for any other brand. The battery life is exceptional and it's fast.
  • Legume
    Options
    Surface pro at Costco 8/256 bundled with cover/pen.  4 years warranty if I use my Costco visa.  i7 is only $50 more than the i5.  Think I'm ordering tonight.
  • DMW
    Options
    Legume said:
    Surface pro at Costco 8/256 bundled with cover/pen.  4 years warranty if I use my Costco visa.  i7 is only $50 more than the i5.  Think I'm ordering tonight.
    I'd pay $50 to upgrade from i5 to i7.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    I love my Surface Pro 4.  I was lucky enough to get one of the docking stations before they discontinued it, no idea why... It would be nice if they made a car charger for it.

edited November 2017
    Options
    Surface Pro are great however look at the Dell 7280, I just got one with i5, 16 g of ram, and 256 SSD and it rocks! The pen works great and the keyboard is responsive and does not feel soft like other detachable boards. 
    O-Town, FL

• GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    I just got a Lenovo Yoga 720 for work. 256 ssd. So far I love it. Use an iPad on the couch
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • BugFreak72
    Options
    I love the surface. It will replace your laptop and tablet completely as you get used to it. If you use it for any type of presentations then get the pen so you can write and draw while it is projected, a very nice option it has. Also the mouse is small and easy to stow when flat but not a requirement.

Not sure if it is still going on but MS had the i5 256gb/keypad combo for $329 off yesterday.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Surface Pro is awesome.  I have a docking station at home and at the warehouse.  Get one with as much RAM as you can afford.