Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pre warning to flame boss users

Options
2»

Comments

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,687
    Options
    OhioEgger said:
    The FB server has been coming and going lately, so they're obviously working on it. Not an issue, but kind of odd that it happens on a holiday like this.

Not odd at all......it's like you can expect to see traffic jams on the highways at 5pm weekdays.  Everybody that has one of these things has a smoker, and most are probably using it today.  They went down briefly on 4th of July, Christmas, and other buys weekends.  Their downtime has been minimal, but it's always been on a day/time where you know a TON of their customers are using them.
    So basically you can’t count on it when people need it the most.  :|
    Like trying to watch the weather channel on satellite TV in a thunderstorm?  Nothing is ever promised to be 100%.

The difference is that it still works--everything is still running in the background and you can control everything from the unit.  It's not cloud based.  The only thing missing was the remote notifications *if* you were not direct connected to it (you were more than 200-300 ft away from it.)  And each time it happened, they were back up within an hour.

I suppose they could charge a subscription fee for dedicated server access.....limited number of subscriptions.  Anybody going to up the cash for that??  Not a chance.  Free, reliable access provided 99.99% of the time.  And in that .01% your unit still works as advertised, and through the app, provided you're within direct connect range.
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    OhioEgger said:
    The FB server has been coming and going lately, so they're obviously working on it. Not an issue, but kind of odd that it happens on a holiday like this.

Not odd at all......it's like you can expect to see traffic jams on the highways at 5pm weekdays.  Everybody that has one of these things has a smoker, and most are probably using it today.  They went down briefly on 4th of July, Christmas, and other buys weekends.  Their downtime has been minimal, but it's always been on a day/time where you know a TON of their customers are using them.
    The difference is that it still works--everything is still running in the background and you can control everything from the unit.  
    Agree. As long as it's controlling the temp, I can live without remote access. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    OhioEgger said:

Like trying to watch the weather channel on satellite TV in a thunderstorm?  Nothing is ever promised to be 100%.

The difference is that it still works--everything is still running in the background and you can control everything from the unit.  It's not cloud based.  The only thing missing was the remote notifications *if* you were not direct connected to it (you were more than 200-300 ft away from it.)  And each time it happened, they were back up within an hour.

I suppose they could charge a subscription fee for dedicated server access.....limited number of subscriptions.  Anybody going to up the cash for that??  Not a chance.  Free, reliable access provided 99.99% of the time.  And in that .01% your unit still works as advertised, and through the app, provided you're within direct connect range.
    The issue is it caught a bunch of us off-guard that were expecting to use that capability. When I bought mine, the decision was 100 v 200, so some us paid for the WiFi, expecting to use it.  I'm hoping the app cures that or provides a by-pass to needing their server to host. I understand they got stuck with a continuing website support obligation, but that was key selling point versus buying something cheaper and more basic.

I think it's a good product and my family enjoyed a great smoked turkey cooked using my FB 200, sans wifi remote control.  :)
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.