Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Breast Cooked!

Options
Got the MiniMax up to 275 deg.; placed a 6 lb. turkey breast on it, and 5 minutes later checked the dome temp. and it was less than 50 deg.! Then it dawned on me that the temp. probe must be resting against or inside the turkey...that was exactly the case. So I repositioned the turkey, and cooked it for about 2 hours at around 300 deg., to an internal temp of at least 165 deg., and then removed it from the grill and foiled it.  I used apple wood chips...but I am wondering if most of them burned up before I even placed the turkey onto the grill? Wish there were an easy way to add wood chips throughout when you have a woo ring and stone in place... Anyway, here are some pics and I bet it will be delicious! Going to serve it on Friday. Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!
Normal, IL 
Minimax

Comments

• Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    I’m betting it will be as good as it looks. Try spreading the wood chips throughout the lump so they don’t all burn up at one time. Or chunks of wood will last a little longer on top of the fire. Either way good eats await.
    Snellville, GA

• RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    Looks delicious...very nice!
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    Very nice! I bet it tastes as good as it looks
  • Wolfie51sb
    Options
    We go to my sister-in-law's for Thanksgiving, which is always great. The only downside is we don't have leftover turkey at our house. Attempting to remedy that situation this year, I did a turkey breast on the Egg today that looked like the brother to yours. I didn't use any wood chips, but sampling a few pieces while carving the turkey, there was still a nice smoke flavor from the Rockwood charcoal. I find this to often be the case with poultry; you don't need a lot of smoke.

Rob

Columbus, Ohio

• itzann
    itzann Posts: 35
    Options
    We go to my sister-in-law's for Thanksgiving, which is always great. The only downside is we don't have leftover turkey at our house. Attempting to remedy that situation this year, I did a turkey breast on the Egg today that looked like the brother to yours. I didn't use any wood chips, but sampling a few pieces while carving the turkey, there was still a nice smoke flavor from the Rockwood charcoal. I find this to often be the case with poultry; you don't need a lot of smoke.
    I was hoping maybe the charcoal would give it a good smoky flavor! Glad to hear yours tasted great. I was surprised how nice and golden brown it turned out, just by rubbing a little canola oil and seasonings on it. 
    Normal, IL 
    Minimax
  • Woodchunk
    Options
    itzann said:
    I was hoping maybe the charcoal would give it a good smoky flavor! Glad to hear yours tasted great. I was surprised how nice and golden brown it turned out, just by rubbing a little canola oil and seasonings on it. 
    It will be great. Bone in breast is our go to turkey.