Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Juiciness

Options
Being new to the Egg I have found the biggest difference is how juicy/moist the prepared food is.

However, with fish, I am not all that sure it is that desirable a thing.  I had catfish filets on the grill and even though the temperature was well over the "done" level the texture was still really, juicy.  I need to microwave it to get it firmer.  Is this something others have experienced?  I am certainly not a skilled griller so it is more than possible it is all me.
Weber Gas,  Large Big Green Egg, Mini Green Egg 

I am going to gain way too much weight now that I have a LBGE.

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Would need more info on your cooking set up but if finishing in microwave fixed it, cooking longer on the Egg should do the same.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    dont know if ive ever temped fish. i probably over cook fresh water fish and undercook salt water fish if a temp gage was involved
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    I don't know if this will make sense, but I don't do fish in my egg, as I don't want to take a chance of the smell staying in the pores of the ceramic and somehow mixing with my brisket or in fact any other cook - again, if that makes sense.

I use my Weber or PBC for fish cooks as they are made of metal and have no pores.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Driller
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    I don't know if this will make sense, but I don't do fish in my egg, as I don't want to take a chance of the smell staying in the pores of the ceramic and somehow mixing with my brisket or in fact any other cook - again, if that makes sense.

I use my Weber or PBC for fish cooks as they are made of metal and have no pores.
    So you have not smoked salmon?  

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Moist is good. 
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    I usually grill fish on my kettle directly over the coals about 2-3 min per side until it flakes apart with little effort.  

Microwaiving fish is just wrong sorry man.

try grilling with lid open 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,094
    Options
    When microwaving fish make sure you add broccoli and brussel sprouts.  The mixture of aromas is wonderful.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    The problem is...you didn’t deep fry that bottom feeder. 

If health conscious then toss a cast iron on with some oil in and sear the $hit out of it. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    When microwaving fish make sure you add broccoli and brussel sprouts.  The mixture of aromas is wonderful.

And it should only be done at a busy office.

Phoenix 
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    edited November 2017
    Options
    The problem is...you didn’t deep fry that bottom feeder. 

If health conscious then toss a cast iron on with some oil in and sear the $hit out of it. 
    I agree fry catfish :-)
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Driller
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    I usually grill fish on my kettle directly over the coals about 2-3 min per side until it flakes apart with little effort.  

Microwaiving fish is just wrong sorry man.

try grilling with lid open 
    But then why an Egg?  Anything is good for that.  Perhaps at the end of the cook to take out some of the moisture?

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    The species defines mushiness.  Change species.
    The species defines mushiness.  Change species.
    Tried it again last night and it came out really good.  Blackened and used a griddle in the Egg.  

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Driller said:

But then why an Egg?  Anything is good for that.  

I would agree, when cooking with the lid open is called for, there is no real benefit to the egg over something else.  It is said often around here that an egg is the swiss army knife of cookers.  Eggs can do almost everything well, and some things excellent. 

Phoenix