Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

YouTube TV vs Vue

Options
Moving soon and seriously looking into dropping DirecTV in favor of YouTube TV or PS Vue.   So far I've read enough about PS Vue that I think that's the way I plan to go.   I am just curious if anyone has any good/bad experience with YouTube TV?   From the looks of it both appear to have the channels we need (Except for Nick channels on either).
--Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
28" Blackstone
South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.

Comments

• Ljpick
    Ljpick Posts: 38
    Options
    I recently moved and we went from Directv to Directv Now. The $35 monthly package has all the channels we needed. I love it, I looked at it vs Vue and decided on it mainly because Nick channels for the kids. Never really looked at YouTube. 
  • clemsontyger97
    Options
    Yea those Nick channels I'd lose with Vue loom large, however my plan is just to unload the hundreds of episodes of a few shows onto DVD and call it a day.   No technical issues with DirecTV Now?   That has seemed like a more common thread I've noticed with them over the others, even though I am positive all of them have some bug or another.   With Google behind YouTube, I believe that will eventually be the best of the lot, but I just don't think it has been out long enough yet to easily compare.   

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Do you need a PlayStation console attached to every tv you want the channels on? 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • MattBTI
    MattBTI Posts: 417
    Options
    You may look into "sling" too. I don't have personal experience with it, but see it advertised. 
    Pratt, KS
  • HellrodKC
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    Do you need a PlayStation console attached to every tv you want the channels on? 
    Nope. I believe that is how it worked originally but it now works on Apple TV, Chromecast, etc. 
  • clemsontyger97
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    Negative.   From what I've read the only advantage PS owners have is that I believe PS Plus members may get a few extra channels.

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
  • Roebuck
    Options
    I've tried them all and YouTubeTV was the only one that got me to finally turn in my cable boxes and cut the cord.

DTVNow had just launched when I gave it a try and was very glitchy and froze a lot. I did like the interface, however. It did not have my major network channels at the time...not sure if it does now.

Hulu Live TV was closer but didn't carry the local stuff.

When I discovered YouTubeTV was available in my market I immediately signed up - 7 days later I turned in my Charter boxes and cut off the cable. It's $35 and has a great channel lineup and carries my local affiliates. Tons of sports and kid channels (for the kids ;)) It offers unlimited DVR storage too. The only negative, for me, right now is the interface. I don't like having to use my phone to change the channel as everything is "cast" to the Chromecast (unless you have a smart TV) The smart TV app just recently launched so I'm willing to bet I can use that remote to navigate, instead of my phone - which is nice.

The best thing with these services is that they can be quickly updated...and you can cancel at any time. If you have anymore questions about YouTube TV let me know. I love it and it saves me about $50 a month.
    Birmingham, Ala.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    Negative.   From what I've read the only advantage PS owners have is that I believe PS Plus members may get a few extra channels.
    We do? I'll have to investigate that.
  • RockyTopDW
    Options
    I've had slingtv for over a year now and have no regrets.  I had directv for 17 years and got tired of the ridiculous bill.  I haven't tried vue or YouTube tv.  
  • jdkeithbge
    Options
    I just got YouTube TV and am liking it so far.  When they rolled out the Samsung TV native app that really helped.  When they roll out the Apple TV app that will probably seal the deal for me.  The quality using Chromecast or Airplay was not good enough for me to drop cable (FiOS).  However, the quality with the Samsung native app was as good as cable.  I haven't killed my FiOS cable yet but probably will next week and get rid of the boxes.
    XL BGE, CGS AR & spider, 36" SS Blackstone, SMOBOT - Flower Mound, TX