Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

RIP Mel Tillis

Options
Hotch
Hotch Posts: 3,564
edited November 2017 in EggHead Forum
Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
BGE Chiminea
Prosper, TX

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Heard about it earlier on the willie Nelson Sirius station. They're playing a bunch of his music. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Hotch
    edited November 2017
    Options
    He was one of the best "Story Tellers" along with Tom T. Hall.
    Just take a look at the list of songs he wrote and co-wrote:
    https://secondhandsongs.com/artist/2825/works?sort=date#creditedWorkssong

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Gym
    Gym Posts: 366
    Options
    GregW said:
    The loss of Mel is a real blow to traditional country music. What passes for country music today is not even in the same class as the great artist from the past.
    Amen brother. We lost one of the great ones.
    Modern country music is heading in the wrong direction. Maybe that's a discussion for another day.
  • lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    Options
    I grew up hating his style of music, my father listened to it all the time...as I grew up (not really older) I began to realize that the traditional county music was truly in my head and heart...Goodbye Mel, and thank you.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    So long me me me Mel Tillis
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Another artist that I have always liked is Marty Robbins, he was a great story teller also. There are so many greats that are no longer with us. I like to put on a great playlist on the country greats on the patio late at night. The last song that always closes out the night is Rainy Night In Georgia with Conway Twitty and Sam Moore from the Rhythm Country And Blues album. It never fails to send chills through me. 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    That sucks.  Wasn't he the guy who Studerred all the time except for when he sang.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Hotch
    Options
    Yes sir.  
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • tml1230
    tml1230 Posts: 237
    Options
     mel tillis and Lewis grizzard- u know they are  in heaven sharing a couple beers tonite 
    Sarasota Fl. and  Lake Toxaway N.C. (and Novembers on the island of Kauai) (and April in France.... Don't hate on me for that)
    BGE  medium and minimax
    HOW  BOUT THEM GATORS !
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,896
    Options
    tml1230 said:
     mel tillis and Lewis grizzard- u know they are  in heaven sharing a couple beers tonite 
    "That dog will bite you" - Lewis Grizzard, yep miss both of them. 
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Hilarious in canonball run. With bradshaw....after they run the car in the pool.  That cracks me up every time!