Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

FTC a Spatch Turkey? How big a bird for a Large BGE?

Planning to spatch a bird to take to Sister-In-Law's for Thanksgiving. Not sure what time she plan's to eat so I plan to cook in the AM and be able to carve when the Hostess is ready. 

Better to FTC whole, carve in advance and oven-warm, or carve in advance and FTC? 

Also, any advice on how big a spatch turkey will fit on a large? 

Gobble Gobble! 
New Albany, Ohio 

Comments

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    I have never transported a turkey as we are always the host.
    I can tell you I have spatched a 18 lb bird on my large 3 years ago, and if I remember properly, I could have gone a bit bigger. I am sure if spatched over an inverted rib rack you could probably go to 20?  Not sure - never tried. 

Last year we wanted more meat so I did 2 of the smallest birds I could find on the AR at about 12-13 lbs each no problem. I prefer 2 smaller than one large.  You just have to rotate them through the cook. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    I'm with @Sea2Ski regarding she bird on a LBGE.  The dimensions of the bird play a  part when you are pushing the edge.  I have had a 19 + lb bird spatched on a LBGW w/o getting creative.  
    The FTC will sacrifice the skin texture.  If you can get access to a shelf in the oven upon arrival you could use it to tighten the skin prior to carving.  If that's an option-then pull the bird on the low end of the finish temp you are aiming for.  I would carve just prior to serving but I'm sure others will be along.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    I've held a turkey for hours with FTC. Still way too hot to hold and cut when coming out of the foil. Traveling with it won't be an issue. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho said:
    I've held a turkey for hours with FTC. Still way too hot to hold and cut when coming out of the foil. Traveling with it won't be an issue. 
    Did FTC compromise the crispyness of the skin tho ?  Ithink it did , but never doing b4, I'm asking.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Eggscuses said:
    WeberWho said:
    Did FTC compromise the crispyness of the skin tho ?  Ithink it did , but never doing b4, I'm asking.
    You don't necessarily need to wrap the foil around the turkey tightly. You can tent the tinfoil so it doesn't affect the skin too much. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited November 2017
    I really like the 14/15 lbs with say 6 extra legs. You can get a much larger on but I like the smaller birds
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    I’m going to cook mine two days ahead, slice and drench in a rich chicken stock. I’ll reheat in the foil I store it in. Not ideal, but I had to pick the bird up Thursday and didn’t want to hold it for a week. Everyone will just need to admire the photo I take when I remove the bird from the Egg. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia