Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron Grill

Options
Driller
Driller Posts: 56
edited November 2017 in EggHead Forum
OK, I am going the whole nine yards on the Egg thing and I bought a half-moon cast iron grill for a LBGE.  Then I thought why would I want to fire up all that lump for a couple of burgers?  So I put it on my Weber gas and they were great with a lot of sear and sizzle, and only a 5 minute start up time!  But, it was really difficult to clean it (grill) afterwards - with the grease that ran into the grooves.  I had put Pam on it instead of olive oil, so I may hear some light screaming about that.... but OK, I'm here to share and learn. I guess there are those who "season" their cast iron pans and maybe the grills too?

Suggestions?  Advice?

Obviously new to the whole thing and still deciding what is worth the while on an Egg vs. gas.

Weber Gas,  Large Big Green Egg, Mini Green Egg 

I am going to gain way too much weight now that I have a LBGE.

Comments

• vthokie98
    Options
    have had my egg for close to 2 years...have yet to "clean" it or anything that goes inside it...put the cast iron grate inside the egg with a full firebox of lump and let it rip...600-700 degrees for 30 - 45 min and all items are clean

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Pam is fine.  Not sure if we're talking griddle or cast iron grate.  The grooved grates I'd just scrape off the junk and then coat for next time.  If we're talking griddle, get yourself a stiff cast iron brush, and the Ringer (sold on Amazon).  It's a must for any non enameled cast iron.

As to the egg vs. gas... well, you're on a journey that will probably / hopefully?, have you sending off your gas grill to someone less serious.  Sure, you can cook on it - but you're in the egg club now!  Fyi, you mention "fire up all that lump".  If you shut your vents down, you'll only use lump while you're cooking.  I use the same lump many cooks in a row.  Just re light it.

Last, and most important - WELCOME, and have fun.

Phoenix 
  • Driller
    Options
    I should have said griddle.  Thank you.
    But, I do not see a difference in putting a burger on a griddle on the gas vs. a burgers in the Egg except and extraordinary amount of time.  I also think that a tank of butane for about $30 will do about the same as 4-5 bags of lump for $100 - $125.

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

If you're weighing costs, you could be in for a disappointment.  Egging is not just a grill, it's an expensive hobby.  There are a lot of people on this site who will help you spend your money on things you need, that you didn't know existed the day before.

What normally happens when someone gets a new egg (it happened for most of us) is a level of snobbery towards propane is developed.  The "gasser" becomes a storage place for your egging accessories.  Then as second or third eggs are purchased the gasser is given away or sold to make room.

Phoenix 
  • Driller
    Options
    It already stores a couple of things but..... c'mon in efficiency for small cooks????  You need to agree.

I am absolutely thrilled with most of the cooks I have had except for being able to  time anything.  The temps take WAYYYYYYYYY too long to achieve and it is not for lack of lump, ventilation or any of the other excuses.  I have yet to see anything over 450 with embers throughout the fire pit.  Very disappointed in being able to get the SEAR on the steak of my dreams.  Actually the griddle on the gas is doing better.

• StillH2OEgger
    Options
    You might consider selling your BGE. It's not for everybody. I have a gas grill that I still use for quick grilling, but the BGE versatility is unparalleled. Like gasser, microwave is also faster. We all have choices to make, but you might want to do some ribs or pulled pork before giving up on the BGE.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Driller
    Options
    You might consider selling your BGE. It's not for everybody. I have a gas grill that I still use for quick grilling, but the BGE versatility is unparalleled. Like gasser, microwave is also faster. We all have choices to make, but you might want to do some ribs or pulled pork before giving up on the BGE.
    No doubt and agree completely.  I am not that much of a fan of pulled pork but the ribs I had smoked were fabulous in that they maintained their moistness.   Same thing with chicken.  

What I really, really wanted though was a great steak and pork chops.  Well, I have yet to get to that.  Also this may sound a bit goofy but I am not all that sure I really enjoy the juiciness of the meat.  The gas grill tends to dry things out a bit more and I fear I have become used to that texture.  While the meat is one thing fish is a completely other "kettle of....."

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Something isn't right if you can't hit 500 easily, if not by accident.

I can be at grilling temp within 30 minutes (or less) depending on how I light it.  It works for quick cooks or long cooks.  Love steak, pork chops, etc.

I don't usually do fish unless I have an entire side of redfish or snapper with the skin on.

But if you don't like your protein to be juicy/moist, maybe you do have another set of concerns.
    NOLA
  • DialSquare
    DialSquare Posts: 34
    edited November 2017
    Options
    For searing steaks (or burgers) on my XL, my setup is to use two angle irons from the CGS to divide the fire box so lump is only on one half.  Then I use my Woo with a cast iron grate to lower the grate a few inches above the raging coals. 2 or 3 minutes per side directly over the fire, then move steak to the back and finish away from the direct heat. 

This will give you an incredible sear and a steak as good as any steakhouse. Much better sear than using the stainless grate at standard grilling height. 

If you have any questions just let me know! 

• EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    Options
    I think that there is a fair number of people on here who have a blackstone (or equivalent) for their griddle. I am in that group. I also see your point. I would rather fire it up and be ready quickly, without using the lump. Plus, I have a lot more space on my blackstone than I would on a griddle on my BGE.
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    I just did a cook of 16 sliders on the egg.

Choice 1- Use the egg, undo the set up from Turkey cook over the weekend, stir lump, light lump, grill burgers.  Start to finish 40 min.

Choice 2- Empty all the Eggcessorries out of grill, light, grill burgers.  Start to finish 20 min.

For the 20 min I went with the egg- 400 direct.  While I like the speed of the gas, I really have to watch it with burgers and sausage or I end up with a HOT mess from grease dripping- lost more stuff lately then I can remember.

To someones point my gasser is really just a storage for egg parts and a means to light the charcoal chimney I use to light lump.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president.