Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time cold smoking cheese. Questions.

Options
77bronco
77bronco Posts: 56
edited November 2017 in EggHead Forum
This is my first time cold smoking cheese. Will be using Amaz n smoker tube with hickory pellets in an XL BGE. Have a variety of cheeses. Was planning on smoking for about 2.5 hours. Will put smoker tube on charcoal grate, under plate setter with cheese on rack above. I’ve read some of the other threads, but have a couple questions. 

1. With the smoker tube,  how do you set the top and bottom vents on the BGE?
2. High temperature of 44 degrees here today. I  haven’t used the tube smoker yet, and am not sure how much heat it will generate. Do I need a tray of ice on the plate setter under the cheese?
3. What are everybody’s favorites?Has anybody smoked Bleu cheese? If so, how did it turn out?

Comments

• Stormbringer
    Options
    This is how I do cold smoking of cheese, there are some hints and tips in the blog post:

https://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk/2017/11/03/smoke-your-own-cheese/

To answer your specific questions:

1. Almost closed, the same as I would for cooking low n slow.
    2. You don't need ice, just put the platesetter in and the cheese on the grid over the platesetter.
    3. I prefer hard cheeses, we just had some smoked Old Amsterdam for lunch today, it was lovely. I have yet to find a blue cheese that works well with a smoke flavour, the search continues.

Good luck!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    I'm smoking cheese today as well and I use the A-Maz-N serpentine cold smoker in my Large Egg.  To answer your questions, bottom vent wide open and daisy wheel removed. You shouldn't need ice at 44 degrees and the plate setter.  I smoke a variety of cheeses and use apple pellets topped off with apple and cherry wood chips.  For my taste, the recommended 2.5 hours of smoke is about right.  Document your smoke time and the type of pellets your using and adjust accordingly next time.  I always let the cheese cure for a minimum of 4 weeks before indulging.  The longer it cures, the better it taste.  I vacuum seal each package and have kept it up to 6 months in the fridge.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • OhioEgger
    Options
    Agree with the others. No need for ice at those temps. Probably not even any need for the plate setter. I usually do mine when it's a bit colder and never use the PS. I also cut the cheese into pieces no more than two inches thick.
    I also think letting it age for at least a couple of weeks after smoking improves the flavor quite a bit. Vac sealing is great for this.
    Best cheeses I've found for smoking are Gouda and mild Cheddar.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • Sherryjames
    Options
    Are you guys looking for thin blue smoke or heavy smoke?? I did my first batch yesterday with my amaze n tube and had the vents as I would with low n slow. I had a thick white smoke the whole time. 
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    bottom vent wide open, top opening dependent on smoke and how hard it is to keep pellets lit.  depending on amount of cheese, may need to move around a bit to even out smoke coming from tube and over the cheese.  

you may have trouble keeping the tube lit.  their tray is better.  I would not use a platesetter or stone, do it direct.

cut cheese in 1 inch or so square long logs.....you want surface area.  turn cheese as need to get all four sides. 

time is truly dependent on smoke generation and what wood.  with hickory, and full smoke, 2.5 hours may be a bit long.  

any hard cheese is good.  run into problems with cheese sweating around 90°F in egg, not a good thing.  at 44°F ambient, should not be an issue.

bag and fridge for week minium. 

it takes a couple attempts to get comfortable with it. so first cook, don't go big amounts.  

t

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • 77bronco
    Options
    I was going to use hickory, but have cherry pellets also. What would you guys recommend. I  have Gouda, Swiss and sharp cheddar. 
  • Woodchunk
    Options
    77bronco said:
    This is my first time cold smoking cheese. Will be using Amaz n smoker tube with hickory pellets in an XL BGE. Have a variety of cheeses. Was planning on smoking for about 2.5 hours. Will put smoker tube on charcoal grate, under plate setter with cheese on rack above. I’ve read some of the other threads, but have a couple questions. 

1. With the smoker tube,  how do you set the top and bottom vents on the BGE?
    2. High temperature of 44 degrees here today. I  haven’t used the tube smoker yet, and am not sure how much heat it will generate. Do I need a tray of ice on the plate setter under the cheese?
    3. What are everybody’s favorites?Has anybody smoked Bleu cheese? If so, how did it turn out?

1- with the tray I keep the bottom open a half inch and the top about half
    2-no
    3-swiss

you can mix your pellets up or use all of one. I prefer a milder smoke for cheese so generally use Apple but I have mixed it with oak
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
    edited November 2017
    Options
    It may be a difference between pellets and dust, I use dust and found when I had the bottom vent wide open the dust burnt through much faster. By having the bottom vent virtually closed the dust lasted way longer and I still got a good level of smoke.

I use the platesetter because the smoking device I used does generate enough heat (even in low ambient temperatures) to cause the bottom to go soft. It does make some nice artisan gridmarks on the bottom of the cheese if I do that, but I prefer to use platesetter to absorb any latent heat energy. This is all done in a MMX mind you, it might not be an issue in a LBGE.
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• Woodchunk
    Options
    Are you guys looking for thin blue smoke or heavy smoke?? I did my first batch yesterday with my amaze n tube and had the vents as I would with low n slow. I had a thick white smoke the whole time. 
    My pellet tray gives steady smoke the whole time till the pellets are burnt up
  • Sherryjames
    Options
    Woodchunk said:
    My pellet tray gives steady smoke the whole time till the pellets are burnt up
    Oh yeah, mine had a steady stream of extremely heavy smoke the whole time.  Just not sure if I am after that or more of a light thin blue smoke?
  • OhioEgger
    Options
    It makes no difference in this case. Relax.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.