Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butterball turkey

Options
a friend wanted me to smoke a turkey for him. Before I could say anything he got a butterball turkey. Are those ok to still brine or should I not brine a butterball?

Thanks!

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I'm betting it has been injected with a salt solution.  The label should tell you.  If it has I would skip the wet brine.  Instead I would do a light sprinkle of salt on the skin and an air out in the fridge for a day or so to dry out the skin.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Gym
    Gym Posts: 366
    Options
    Agreed. Whenever I get a Butterball, I skip the brine process. My opinion would be to spatchcock the bird. IMO. They turn out great!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Contrary to what others have posted already and probably after me I have brined MANY ButterBall turkeys - both full turkeys and just breasts - for multiple years for multiple hours! I have yet to ever have a complaint that they were too salty or "too anything" else other than DAMN delicious!!!

My thought - but I don't know for a fact - is the solution injected in a ButterBall is during a rapid run on a conveyor belt using mechanical needles spaced far apart, and never deep - just right under the skin maybe. When I brine that gets into the turkey from the cavity side which gets it into the rest of the breast, thighs, and drumsticks from the MEAT side. Whether you believe me or not or want to trust me or not is your call, but I'm wishing you and yours a Happy Thanksgiving!!!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    They're already "brined" unless you get the organic bird at Costco.  Brining twice is inherently redundant, but by Rons experience isn't harmful.  Skip the brine.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Butterballs are injected with "a solution of Water, Salt, and Spices to enhance tenderness and juiciness".  How strong the solution is, is not specified.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Butterballs are injected with "a solution of Water, Salt, and Spices to enhance tenderness and juiciness".  How strong the solution is, is not specified.  
    Brined, by definition.  You are correct.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    if its the butterball "natural" its only 4 percent,  dont see anything wrong with that for brining.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    From the Butterball website:
    Frozen Turkey - Contains up to 8% of a solution of Water, Salt, Spices, and Natural Flavor.
    Fresh Turkey -
    Contains up to 4% of a solution of Water, Salt, and Spices to enhance tenderness and juiciness.

Very intentional differences in language.  They also have a page on brining but don't list a recipe.  

Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    edited November 2017
    Options
    JethroVA said:
    From the Butterball website:
    Frozen Turkey - Contains up to 8% of a solution of Water, Salt, Spices, and Natural Flavor.
    Fresh Turkey -Contains up to 4% of a solution of Water, Salt, and Spices to enhance tenderness and juiciness.

Very intentional differences in language.  They also have a page on brining but don't list a recipe.  

The percentage is of the total package weight, correct?  So a 15 lb bird has about 1.2lbs of brine solution, meaning a 13.8lb bird with 1.2lbs of "solution."

Am I thinking about this the correct way?  That seems like a lot of solution to me.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • jtcBoynton
    Options
    if its the butterball "natural" its only 4 percent,  dont see anything wrong with that for brining.
    The percentages listed are weight of the solution.  Not brine strength. They do not provide brine strength information.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    The percentages listed are weight of the solution.  Not brine strength. They do not provide brine strength information.
    im thinking that you put a bird with a small amount of solution into a good sized brine the two will equalize favoring the larger brine solution which would be the one you are soaking it in. if your brine is less salty than the solution, the turkey will be less salty etc
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • jtcBoynton
    Options
    Because the strength of the Butterball brine is not known, the best strength and time for additional brining would be a guess (assuming using traditional gradient brining).  If an equilibrium brine is used, it wouldn't matter what Butterball had used as a new value would be set by the brine.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE