Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First turkey method?

Options
Im doing a test run on my first turkey before thanksgiving.  Trying to decide on the best method.  Joetisserie or on the grate. Thoughts?  Those that cook on the grate do you go direct or indirect and what temp?

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I go indirect at 375. Look up the "Mad Max turkey" method. Good stuff.
  • demo
    demo Posts: 163
    Options
    Search for "Mad Max's Turkey and Gravy" recipe, and follow it to the letter.  The best.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    Another option worth considering is spatchcock turkey.   The search function should yield an abundance of threads about turkey cooks. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Stuss
    Stuss Posts: 75
    Options
    indirect on the grate……This was my first one and not my last.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Spatchcocked Turkey and Chicken on the Big Green Egg
    (you cut out the backbone and cook opened)
    I like a 11/12 lb bird. If I need lots of turkey I just cook a couple ( 1 & 1/2  hr cook app)
    Chicken 3 to 3.75lb bird or birds. Under an hour cook. 
    Or, just add a package of legs extra. 
    I do not brine the turkey or Chicken. 
    If time I like to leave uncovered in the fridge overnight (no problem if no time) 
    I cook "direct" @ 400/425 on a raised grill "skin side up" and never turn over.
    I will use a coffee rub. Use what you like.
    NOTE PLEASE (A LOT OF SMOKE IS NOT YOU FRIEND)
    I use about a single handfull of mixed chips: Cherry & Pecan. 
    Cook Turkey to temp (not time) breast @ 155/160 and thigh @ 165.
    Cook Chicken to temp breast 160.
    Rest both 10 mins.

Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork)
    Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee..
    Equal part: Brown Sugar..
    ½ part: Black Pepper..
    ½ part: Kosher Salt..
    ½ part: Garlic Powder..
    ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder..
      Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Raised direct has also worked well for me, but my go-to turkey method is spatchcocked and indirect with Mickey's rub at 350-375 degrees. Don't go crazy on smoke, but a touch of cherry is just right for us.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Gym
    Gym Posts: 366
    Options
    I did my first spatchcock Turkey for (our) Thanksgiving a few weeks ago. Don't want to"toot my own horn" but it was hands down the best Turkey I've ever had! I did nothing but spatch it, season it and throw it on the egg for 2hrs. It was a 10 pounder.
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,530
    edited October 2017
    Options
    OK.....this recipe takes a couple of days so here we go...

1st thing that you will need is a cooler that will fit your bird with the brine

Brine

1 Gallon of water
    1/2 cup of Garlic Powder
    1/2 cup of Onion Powder
    1/3 cup of pepper
    1 cup of salt
    1 cup of Brown sugar
    A few bay leaves (your preference)
    2 cans of bluebird apple juice from concentrate
    1 can of bluebird cranberry juice from concentrate

Bring the Brine to a boil string frequently, and let cool on stove top

Break up a bag of ice and put about 5 lbs in the cooler 

Combine Brine with the Ice

Drop the turkey in and brine for 48 hrs.......

Now for the compound butter.....

2 tbsp of garlic powder
    2 tbsp of onion powder
    Fresh thyme, sage, rosemary (yes I know Simon and Garfunkel) to taste... your preference on amounts
    I usually put thin in a coffee grinder for a few seconds and get it really fine.
    2 stick of salted butter

Use a potato masher to incorporate the spices and herbs
    (careful not to over due it or you will melt the butter)

Once everything is incorporated well, put the butter in a one gallon freezer bag and roll the bag up so you have a "roll" of butter at the bottom of the bag and freeze for a day.......

At the end of the 48 hour brine, pull the bird and place on the table breast side up

cut slits on the bottom of the breast closest to the legs, and use your fingers to separate the skin from the breast but be careful not to tear the skin..........

Take your compound butter and cut into 1/4 inch "wafers" to place into the slits that you created in between the skin and breast meat....
    Make sure you get the wafers all the way to the top of the breast meat

Take the remainder of the butter and rub all over the bird 

Bring the ol EGG up to 275 and cook for a couple of hours then cover with a wet cheese cloth and drop the temp down to 225 for the remainder of the cook

Check the bird every hour to hour and a half to make the cheese cloth stays wet.....I just use water to do so

Pull off once the bird reaches a internal temp of 165

let rest and eat 

Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    +1 on Mickeys rub
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    big fan of gravy and mad max gravy is outstanding.  tday would not be the same for me without it, i even cook a second bird for double the gravy, sometimes do a bird the week before just in case on the gravy.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Another for Mad Max
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Spatchcocked Turkey and Chicken on the Big Green Egg
    (you cut out the backbone and cook opened)
    I like a 11/12 lb bird. If I need lots of turkey I just cook a couple ( 1 & 1/2  hr cook app)
    Chicken 3 to 3.75lb bird or birds. Under an hour cook. 
    Or, just add a package of legs extra. 
    I do not brine the turkey or Chicken. 
    If time I like to leave uncovered in the fridge overnight (no problem if no time) 
    I cook "direct" @ 400/425 on a raised grill "skin side up" and never turn over.
    I will use a coffee rub. Use what you like.
    NOTE PLEASE (A LOT OF SMOKE IS NOT YOU FRIEND)
    I use about a single handfull of mixed chips: Cherry & Pecan. 
    Cook Turkey to temp (not time) breast @ 155/160 and thigh @ 165.
    Cook Chicken to temp breast 160.
    Rest both 10 mins.

Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork)
    Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee..
    Equal part: Brown Sugar..
    ½ part: Black Pepper..
    ½ part: Kosher Salt..
    ½ part: Garlic Powder..
    ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder..
      Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Smokinb
    Smokinb Posts: 103
    Options
    i tried a spatchcock turkey a few weeks ago and it was dry.  I did a dry rub and cooked direct on elevated grate to 160F in breast. Good, but not juicy.  i'm going to wet brine, then smoke my Tday bird. Mad max style. Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving!
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    160 is too much in the breast. 155 is fine. 
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    I brine mine and do it indirect in a foil pan on the grate. I stuff it with wild rice, morel mushrooms, chopped onions, and pecans. It gets roasted at 350*-375* until done, then rests a bit prior to carving. Never not yummy.
    Michiana, South of the border.