Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Float your pizza in oil..

Options
2»

Comments

• TheBrewerMoose
    Options
    @Carolina Q - that’s a really good article, I think he used to work at Pizza Hut too!  As I sit back and reminisce, everything he’s doing is exactly how we did it back then. We came in at 5-6am and made the dough that was used in evening but the lunch dough was from the night before if I remember correctly.  The only real difference I can see between Kenji’s recipe and Pizza Hut was they actually used ounces of oil in the pan, not teaspoons. It literally was a ball of dough floating in oil and after it proofed it had consumed the oil and spread itself out to the edges, which gave it a foamy consistency.  We’d lightly punch it down with our fingertips and there was little oil around the edges, so it must be part of the dough now??

i dunno it was a lifetime ago but that’s what I remember. 

What i really want to do someday is to make sourdough. That’s another thread tho. 

Strongsville, OH

• CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
    pizza in general is not my favorite thing to eat. But I hate the crust being porous. Around here it is all the Greek places that sell us Italian food that have these porous type crusts. If I am out at our club and offered a slice of this style pie I always decline. If I have piza I want good NY Italian/American pie or New Haven style Appiza. Nice smooth crusts on these with a touch of semolina, perhaps.

It is amazing how pizza preferences are so varied.
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • SandyHookEgger
    Options
    Great job! Best looking pizza in a while.
  • gabriegger
    Options
    Had a pie last night with a Carbone (Car- bone- ay) crust.  Wood charcoal infused crust.  Lighter than any before.  Supposed to be easier to digest.  Lotsa gas out my ass today though.  Wife kept asking, ‘you light the egg just now?’

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    @Carolina Q - that’s a really good article, I think he used to work at Pizza Hut too!  As I sit back and reminisce, everything he’s doing is exactly how we did it back then. We came in at 5-6am and made the dough that was used in evening but the lunch dough was from the night before if I remember correctly.  The only real difference I can see between Kenji’s recipe and Pizza Hut was they actually used ounces of oil in the pan, not teaspoons. It literally was a ball of dough floating in oil and after it proofed it had consumed the oil and spread itself out to the edges, which gave it a foamy consistency.  We’d lightly punch it down with our fingertips and there was little oil around the edges, so it must be part of the dough now??

What i really want to do someday is to make sourdough. That’s another thread tho. 
    @TheBrewerMoose, thanks! Always enjoy first hand experiences.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    that looks great.  always looking for easier rather harder.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options

Here is what I remember:

1. Different dry all-in-one bag mixes for each kind of dough (pan, thin and crispy, hand-tossed and stuffed crust were the same). Just add water from their special spigot that was calibrated to pour correct temp water.   Huge Hobart industrial mixer.

2.  After mixed, the dough was placed in a large trash bag and then placed in the proofer for a short amount of time (30 minutes or so). Just to get the yeasts going.

3.  Steel pans that were obviously well seasoned from baking oil all the time.

4. Liberal mounts of oil.  They had pumps 3 pumps for Large, 2 for medium, etc.

3. Take the bag out and cut the dough into a measured amount for S, M, L and personal pan.

4.  Sent through a roller at a set thickness and then place it in the middle of the pans.

5. Place the pans in the proofer for a longer duration, maybe 2 hours or so.

6.  Set the pans in a walk in cooler for atleast an hour before use or the dough would be too pillow soft and just kind of cave in when putting sauce on.

Thin and crispy was treated differently, it was just kept in one of the large plastic bags, proofed, and then the whole bag was thrown in a bin until an order was placed.  Then you cut by size, rolled it, used the aerator on it to prevent bubbles and then top and cook it right away.