Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wings on a Raised Direct Grid

Options
First time cooking hot wings on the egg.  Do I have to have a special raised grid (rack) to cook them direct or is a raised grid the same one the egg comes with?  Anyway to get the wings crispy if I have to cook them indirect?

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Welcome.  You need fire bricks, beer cans or bolts to raise your wings.  Lots of examples on this forum. My preference is raised direct.  Plenty here like indirect.  One secret to crispness is a dusting of corn starch pre cook?  Search the site.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • CigarCityEgger
    Options
    Cornstarch on the wings typically help crisp them up(mainly when I’ve done indirect). I’ve done wings direct, and you don’t need a raised grid to make good wings; however without a raised grid keep an eye on them more frequently since they are closer to the coals. 

Good luck and post some pics of the finished product! 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,405
    Options
    Another route to crispy wings is to air-dry them overnight in the fridge.  
    Regarding cook "definitions" the below may help:
    With the BGE there are three basic styles of cooking;  “direct”-where the cooking grid is on top of the fire ring; “raised direct”-where the grid is elevated at least to the gasket-line (this setup requires after-market stuff-easiest is to get another grid and then use three fire bricks (or three empty aluminum beer cans) and place them on the grid at the fire ring and then put the second grid on top. The third is “indirect” where there is a heat deflector (platesetter or some other type stone) between the burning lump and the cooking grid.  This is the setup for low&slow long duration cooks.  

You can run wings direct but I would adjust the lump level to no more than around an inch above the fire box holes.  Reason being you want some distance between the wings and burning lump due to the dripping grease from the wings.

I have gone round and round with wing cook methods and have landed on raised direct-but as above you can get there with your set-up.  I run around 350-375*F on the calibrated dome and flip about every ten minutes til done; generally about 50 minutes total cook time.
    There are about as many ways to cook wings as configurations with the BGE.
    BTW-welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • agreen
    Options
    I'm going to try the raised, using the empty beer cans.  I'll need two grids, but only use the top one to cook the wings on, correct?  
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    agreen said:
    I'm going to try the raised, using the empty beer cans.  I'll need two grids, but only use the top one to cook the wings on, correct?  
    Like @lousubcap said many ways to elevate your grill. Yes you can use two grids or get bricks on fire ring and grid. Might need a smaller grid if to high off fire ring. If about gasket level might be able to use same grid.   

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• JohnH12
    JohnH12 Posts: 213
    Options
    I personally like the empty beer can method. My favorite part is the emptying! =)
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Plain old bricks wrapped in heavy duty foil worked great for me until I got a adjustable rig with rig extender from the CGS.

Good luck!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    I started w/ bricks then bought a PS2 Woo from Ceramic Grill Store. 

Raised direct 375ish is my go-to.

Lots if methods for crisp. I prefer to keep the wings uncovered in the fridge for 24 hours or so. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Anyway you cook them will be awesome.

The lower they are, the closer you have to watch them.

The more wings you cook, the more I'd consider indirect.  When I cook a packed grate of wings, the flare-ups from the fat can be tough to work around.
    LBGE/Maryland