Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OK, this is for all the Marbles

Options
BGE since Sept...have done a bunch of heat only fires playing with temp, a rack of ribs, whole chicken, and then a bunch of grilling. Have the Guru and still getting comfortable---i.e. novice level.

Guests coming for Thanksgiving and---yup---I'm doing the bird on the Egg.

Plan to dry brine...but open to feedback on wet vs dry.

Indirect with minor wood chips...not looking for a terribly smokey bird.

What temp, how long---I know the temp requirements for doneness but looking for some pointers.

Any/all rec's would be helpful. 

Grazie
LBGE, Weber Summit 4 burner--Philadelphia, PA
Syracuse U., Yankees, E-A-G-L-E-S

Old Indian saying...When riding a dead horse, by all means dismount...

Comments

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I go super simple. I personally and my family like butterball. We buy a turkey thaw it out. I do the rinse really good. I then get a gallon zip lock bag fill with ice. I put that on the breast for a least an hour. I then put the turkey on the egg. I do the ice because I feel the breasts get done faster than the thighs. Breast 165 thigh 185. I do not brine. I have done this for last four years. I have had great success. The ice idea came from this site. It was not mine but I think it works great for me.  

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options

If you're open to suggestion, I think a fried Turkey is superior.  However, if you're committed to turkey on the egg.  I suggest the Mad Max Turkey Method.  a quick google search will get you the recipe.

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    edited November 2017
    Options
    try a spatchcock this wknd and then you can relax after you see how easy and well it turns out. keep it 12lbs or under. If you need more on Thanksgiving, just do 2. 400 raised direct for roughly 1.5hrs
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    If you go with spatch, I use a hatchet to complete the back-bone removal event.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Breast to the front legs to the back. I cook 325-350. If you like crispy skin shoot for 350ish or smoke low first hour than raise temp up. Time depends on size of bird, and if you cook stuffing in the bird. just start checking after 1.5hrs or use a leave in thermometer. I don’t spatchcock my turkeys because I prefer the look and presentation of keeping it together. I will spread in some chips into the lump and then usually place one good size chunk just off the fire, I agree you don’t want too much smoke. I’d say use a little less then you would  use for ribs and that should be about right. I buy butterball. Don’t wet brine a preinjected turkey. Seasoning I just do salt and pepper. Use a drip pan to catch the drippings to make gravey. The smoke flavor comes through it’s delicious. 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • steel_egg
    Options
    We thought the gravy from the egged Turkey was too Smokey for our tastes. We had gravel from the couple breasts that were roasted. 
    I also wet brine overnight. Dry real good. We put a comping butter all over and under the skin. Liberal with the salt, pepper and poultry seasoning. Very moist. 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I do dry brine so I don't have a huge pot of water in a 'fridge that is often stuffed for the holiday.

I've been happy using as little as a handful of pecan shells for smoke.

What I like is to make a bunch of herbed butter, and cram as much uder the skin as possible. Flavor and basting all at once. That's part of the Mad Max method, as I recall.

Typically 300 - 325.

No stuffing, but maybe a few sections of lemons inside.

Past few years, I've been SV-ing the legs and upper wing sections. That way the tendons loosen from the meat w/o having to take them to 185. Put them on towards the end, and while the rest of the bird is resting, crank up the heat for browning.
  • PatrickJ117
    Options
    Thanks everyone...going with a fresh bird (wife is on board of ,local Coop so gotta support their cause). Dry brine as I personally hate the taste of turkey---go figure...not a fan of the funky taste ...have conquered it in the past with spicy rub, etc...thinking this might do the trick. wet brine makes it worse...at least for me.

ice is a great idea...legs toward back right, breast up front.

For sequence---light it and let the lighter wood things burn out. Close lid, get to 325-350. Drop wood chips through chimney--let go a min, put in deflector with bird on rack in pan with fluid. Close, open beer and watch football...monitor via the Smoke and Guru...If I've screwed up a step speak now...

really appreciate the help/info. I'll take a pic and get back after it has been done.

Fingers crossed.

Thank you

• lousubcap
    Options
    I'm lazy but I mix the chips or small chunks in the initial lump load focused up and down and tending toward the back.  Turkey doesn't need much smoke-if you want great mahogany color use cherry for the smoke.  
    After the initial light, once I get a good amount of lump burning (quantity depending on whether low and slow or a hot and fast cook) I load all the hardware and then shut the dome and bring it all up to temp. Catch the temp on the way up and then wait for clean smoke (passes the smell test) and enjoy the cook.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • PatrickJ117
    Options
    Went well. Bird came in a little lighter than the bride had promised...about 11 lbs---brined for 1.5 days-soy sauce, sugar, 2 gal water, spices...after the brine, dried and left in fridge over night uncovered...made for crispy skin.

No smoke chips...just Royal Oak coal...into the Kick Ash, 3 starter chips...about 15 mins put the plate in and let temp slowly rise to 350---grill 350 per BBQ guru, air appx same from the Smoke reader but dome never got above 300...worked fine though.

About 4 hrs...had to drop heat as the breast was cooking quicker...tented it and it worked...took cover off last 30 mins...165 both breast and thighs...let it sit for 30 and then carved...moist, great wood flavor from the coals but not smoky or dense...a success! 

Thanks to all who made suggestions and comments...the ice on the breast, legs back and breast front, etc---appreciated...forgot to take a pic but will get one next time.

Go EAGLES!

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Good jobs. Congrats. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Thanks for the follow-up.  Way to bring it home.  
    Take some notes while you remember the event so you aren't reinventing the process next year.  FWIW-
  • PatrickJ117
    Options
    Thanks lousubcap---I have been keeping a note book of each fire, practice burn, grill, smoke, etc. It indeed is an art, not a science...learning every time.