Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rutland Gasket or Factory Gasket....

Options
My gasket is past due for replacement.   I have a Rutland gasket and started to install it today.  Now I'm having second thoughts.  Should I just replace the old gasket with a new BGE gasket?  What say you????

Comments

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    Rutland 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Rutland...
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    Well, if it makes any difference to you I know of over 3,700 Rutlands in use on eggs!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    RRP said:
    Well, if it makes any difference to you I know of over 3,700 Rutlands in use on eggs!
    Ron,
    I'm not sure if your numbers are accurate because I  bought one from you for my XL that I haven't installed yet. It may be only 3,699.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    td66snrf said:
    RRP said:
    Ron,
    I'm not sure if your numbers are accurate because I  bought one from you for my XL that I haven't installed yet. It may be only 3,699.
    That's alright - I went conservative as the number is actually 3,770 but minus your 1 so 3,769.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,046
    edited November 2017
    Options
    reload said:
    My gasket is past due for replacement.   I have a Rutland gasket and started to install it today.  Now I'm having second thoughts.  Should I just replace the old gasket with a new BGE gasket?  What say you????
    It depends.  What is your issue/concern?  Is it the difficulty of installation? The look? The fibers? Something else?
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    How old is your egg and what gasket fo you have now?

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I have had a Rutland gasket I got from Ron on my large egg for a few years now. The installation does take a while to prep and install, but Ron provides detailed instructions that are easy to follow. If you take your time and carefully apply the adhesive, the gasket really turns out well.

I have not noticed any fiber shed from the gasket, and the gasket is holding up well. I expect this gasket to last for many years, and I would not be surprised to get 15 years out of it.

I highly recommend the Rutland gasket, and Ron is the best way to get it. He provides the correct length gasket and a nice instruction sheet.  His pricing is more than fair.
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    Rutland here. Never use anything else. Thanks again Ron !
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • whldch
    whldch Posts: 126
    Options
    I had similar concerns but went with the Rutland with Ron's kit and recommend highly.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,046
    Options
    I think we have been had.  This smacks of an attempt to cause Friday night drama.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I think we have been had.  This smacks of an attempt to cause Friday night drama.
    I concur, albeit a Sunday night.  Ron kindly sent me a Rutland I'm sure one day I'll need.  Haven't so far.  Yet he'll call me out as a bad guy despite my praise.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    Why?

analyze adapt overcome

• bgebrent
    Options
    Why?
    Because for some reason, unbeknownst to me, I've not installed the Gasket I bought from Ron.  And somehow that is offensive, which is ridiculous.  That's why.  
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    Can you get a refund?? 

analyze adapt overcome

• bgebrent
    Options
    Can you get a refund?? 
    LOL.  Truly laughing.
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    Do you have the original receipt?   Just in case...

analyze adapt overcome

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac blows on fuse, ignites troll thread that hadn't launched..  Nicely done.
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    Are you insinuating he's a troll whisperer?

analyze adapt overcome

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    I'm embarrassed to say I have 2 large sitting in a box uninstalled too. But I will get around to it. I swear. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    You never should've admitted that...    just ask @bgebrent

analyze adapt overcome

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    edited November 2017
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Why?
    Because for some reason, unbeknownst to me, I've not installed the Gasket I bought from Ron.  And somehow that is offensive, which is ridiculous.  That's why.  

I laughed when I saw this. Years ago before this forum was here I bought a rutland from Ron. I even sent him a small Home Depot gift card just because I thought what he was doing was admirable. It wasn't long before I realized the gasket wasn't going to help with my problem and I had my base replaced by BGE. I decided to go with the regular gasket after the base replacement and posted that on the old forum. For what ever reason Ron got offended and pushed me to take a full refund and my gift card back to which I refused. He was offended and I have no idea why but he pretty much ignored me on the other forum afterwards. I never mentioned it again until now. 

Not sure why he gets so butt hurt so easily.
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    I also have an uninstalled Rutland...will get around to it someday, just not high on the priority list since my OEM Gasket isn't fully burnt yet.
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    RRP said:
    Hey guys - what some here are saying offended me was my way of saying I want the buyers to be satisfied. My offer which sometimes comes across as being butt hurt is standing behind what I provide by eating the loss. I'd rather stand that loss than have someone bad mouth me and the product. Hey - I've even replaced some gaskets that were p!ss-poorly applied through no fault of mine! It's just my idea of being ethical and above reproach.
    That’s old school Customer Service Ron, which unfortunately is lacking in today’s times.   Always great to see when someone goes beyond what is expected to stand behind their product.  
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    edited November 2017
    Options
    FWIW, I never had a problem with the service Ron provided. Never said I did. Ron seems to have some problem with getting offended for no apparent reason.
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    I own a rutland and like it a lot. Install was super easy. One a big plus, you won't be able to see an over/under bite mark in the felt!
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options

Install the Rutland and you will never regret it.  Install the factory gasket and you will most likely be doing it again in a short period of time.  Yep, installing the Rutland is made easy by the instructions provided by Ron, but requires a little finesse and patience.  It's about a 4 beer job.  If you can smoke a brisket, you should have a little patience.  :)

Good luck!

The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • OhioEgger
    Options
    The problem for me is that it's nearly an 800 mile drive to Rutland, VT from where I live. So that's a very long day to start with. Then I have to find a hotel, then get up before dawn so I can stand on line outside the gasket store. When they finally open the doors, I'm chilled to the bone, hungry, and exhausted. If I'm lucky enough to be not too far back in the line, and they can sell me one, I still have that very long drive back home. Such an incredible hassle!
    Way better to just order one from Ron.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I use the Nomex replacement from Smokeware.  $20 for my Medium.  I replace about every year as I do a "clean burn" annually.  My reason is ease of install (takes me about 15 minutes).  That said, as you can see from the other responses, while the Rutland takes a bit longer to install, it last a lot longer.  One of these days I'll probably also do a Rutland.