Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New XL Purchase- Question on any recent innovations

Options
fourwinds
fourwinds Posts: 13
edited November 2017 in EggHead Forum
I have a 5 year old large. I'm going to move up to an XL most likely. I recall reading something earlier in the year about HQ possibly making some changes to the egg. Might have been bs, so I ask... Have there been any new innovations recently, or are there any coming around the bend. Hate to buy a new one and something else shinier comes out a while later. 

Comments

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Shinier or newer doesn't always equal better. It's not like buying  a new cell phone. A new XL will perform quite well...proven material and design that delivers the goods. 

Take the plunge and have fun with it. It's an awesome cooker. You can always add all the aftermarket swag as you see fit. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    The XL has gone through many changes over the years but nothing in the last 2 that I know about or future.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    In the last year, not much.  Comes in a single box rather than two boxes.  The new band has the clips to hold the dome,  and a fatter handle.  There's a change on the horizon for the metal chimney cap and plate setter size.  I really wouldn't hold out.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    In the last year, not much.  Comes in a single box rather than two boxes.  The new band has the clips to hold the dome,  and a fatter handle.  There's a change on the horizon for the metal chimney cap and plate setter size.  I really wouldn't hold out.
    Get a Smokeware cap and Woo2 with stone from Ceramic Grill Store.  Then never look back.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • fourwinds
    Options
    Get a Smokeware cap and Woo2 with stone from Ceramic Grill Store.  Then never look back.
    Am I being dense? I only see a XL Woo as being available with the stone for the XL egg. No mention of a Woo2. 

Think a 19" stone would work well instead of a 17.5" for low temp cooks? Less exposed meat real estate would be nice. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    edited November 2017
    Options
    fourwinds said:
    Am I being dense? I only see a XL Woo as being available with the stone for the XL egg. No mention of a Woo2. 

Think a 19" stone would work well instead of a 17.5" for low temp cooks? Less exposed meat real estate would be nice. 
    Now that you mention it, I think it is just Woo for XL.  Its same thing.  I have 17.5" stone and I think 19" drip tray.  That works perfect and allows good airflow.

Best thing would be to call Tom at CGS.  He will get you set up perfect.  He does not over sell or pressure at all.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • fourwinds
    Options
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Don't be surprised how much lump your XL holds. It holds a lot.
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    I have an XL with Woo & ADJ Rig.   Platesetter will not work with Woo on XL.  I have both 17.5 & 19 Stones.  19 on Woo for large chunks of protein & 17.5 on Rig in dome for reverse sear steaks.  
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • fourwinds
    Options
    Thanks for the info guys. Gonna try to get my reverse flow sold off and then hunt down an XL before I sell my large.
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    SSQUAL612 said:
    I have an XL with Woo & ADJ Rig.   Platesetter will not work with Woo on XL.  I have both 17.5 & 19 Stones.  19 on Woo for large chunks of protein & 17.5 on Rig in dome for reverse sear steaks.  
    I have the same set up and the plate setter works/fits with no issues on mine. 
  • ChillyWillis
    Options
    Why sell the large? I just got an XL to compliment my large and it's a fantastic set up. The XL is used mainly as a smoker or for bigger items and the large is used to grill up heaps of chicken/sausages etc. you can turn out massive amounts of food. We're gonna be the most popular house in the neighborhood next summer with that set up and the new pool!
  • fourwinds
    Options
    I went and checked out an xl this morning. Its large enough for my needs I can't  imagine needing to keep my large. I do have a blackstone if I need to mass produce food. I use it for kids parties. Easier and quicker.
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    SmokingPiney said: l
    Shinier or newer doesn't always equal better. It's not like buying  a new cell phone. A new XL will perform quite well...proven material and design that delivers the goods. 

Take the plunge and have fun with it. It's an awesome cooker. You can always add all the aftermarket swag as you see fit. 
    I hate my galaxy samsung s7 and would gladly take my old blackberry back.....
  • SSQUAL612
    edited November 2017
    Options
    SSQUAL612 said:
    Here's a previous thread from the Mfr of the Woo regarding XL and PS.  Sure you can make it fit, but not the most practical use of the Woo especially if you want to reverse sear some steaks at 250 then drop a cast iron grid on the woo just above the lump for a nice sear.   CGS does not recommend PS WOO on XL.  

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/2178382/#Comment_2178382

I do see they have added that you can use the woo on top of the PS and Standard grid for raising a pizza stone in the dome.  

https://ceramicgrillstore.com/collections/big-green-egg-xl-accessories-by-ceramic-grill-store/products/xl-woo-bge

Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    SSQUAL612 said:
    SSQUAL612 said:
    Here's a previous thread from the Mfr of the Woo regarding XL and PS.  Sure you can make it fit, but not the most practical use of the Woo especially if you want to reverse sear some steaks at 250 then drop a cast iron grid on the woo just above the lump for a nice sear.   CGS does not recommend PS WOO on XL.  

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/2178382/#Comment_2178382

I do see they have added that you can use the woo on top of the PS and Standard grid for raising a pizza stone in the dome.  

https://ceramicgrillstore.com/collections/big-green-egg-xl-accessories-by-ceramic-grill-store/products/xl-woo-bge

I agree that sure it’s not recommended but the previous comment was it would not fit. Personally, I don’t see how it would differ from the same setup in a large.  Taking the PS out of either Woo is cumbersome. 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    I'm with the previous posters.....don't sell the large.  Keep it!  You're going to be kicking yourself for doing it and then find yourself watching Craigslist for another.  I personally like two larges, just because then you can share accessories.  But the XL is nice for the grilling space.
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    I see they also updated their website. I’ll have to spend some time looking around. Also, in regards to the first link you posted, I wonder what the improvements to the XL are going to be. Did they ever tell us? Perhaps in another thread?
  • SSQUAL612
    Options
    I see they also updated their website. I’ll have to spend some time looking around. Also, in regards to the first link you posted, I wonder what the improvements to the XL are going to be. Did they ever tell us? Perhaps in another thread?
    Nope...didn't see anything so I'll PM Tom and see if I can find out.  
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    I would be happy to be a foster parent to your large and return it to you should you decide you need it! ;)

Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• SSQUAL612
    Options
    XL is great for big cooks, but I picked up an Akorn Jr after Heavyg posted the summer closeout at Walmart and it's a great addition...especially when I'm cooking for 2.  
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    I have an XL and would love to have a large to complement it and my 22 inch webber
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Enjoy the XL BGE. Count me among those who recommend waiting to sell. A used large really isn't going to depreciate much in another year or two so unless space is an issue I would wait until you've had both to know whether you still want to get rid of it. Also, it seems most of the time with non-technology type products the older versions are sometimes better because companies trying to cut costs will go cheap on materials or try to cut corners elsewhere to increase profits or avoid raising prices.
    Stillwater, MN
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    SSQUAL612 said:
    Nope...didn't see anything so I'll PM Tom and see if I can find out.  
    @SSQUAL612, thanks for the heads-up.  Yes the ceramic grill store website has a new look. The site offers more flexibility for ya'll and more capability for us. It's been in the works for a long time.  We still have a few things to do on it, mostly the redirects. 

On the xl adjustable rig, we did one major improvement. The front section of the top ring is gone - opens up full access. It's similar to the large rig now. This minor but significant change makes multi-level grilling a breeze. see couple pics below. The top grid is 13.25x20, a big work area to grill or bbq.

The cool thing about the change is all xl adjustable rigs can be upgraded, so no one is loosing out. No nuts, bolts or swiveling to worry about. Just drop the rig/grid on and go. The top ring is 5/16 304 stainless and welded at five points. The mill runs the 304 stainless special for us - makes this upgrade possible. 

We need to work the upgrade into the website material. We hope to start that this week. It's make the xl egg a fantastic multi level grilling machine. 

t

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • SSQUAL612
    Options
    @tjvThanks Tom...yes, please keep us posted on how we can upgrade our current XL Adj Rigs.  I’m sure others are interested in the convenience it offers.
  • SSQUAL612
    edited November 2017
    Options
    SSQUAL612 said:
    @tjvThanks Tom...yes, please keep us posted on how we can upgrade our current XL Adj Rigs.  I’m sure others are interested in the convenience it offers.
    @tjv Tom...original text had error in address.  Please keep us posted how we can upgrade our XL ADJ RIGS.   Thanks