Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My XL Egg Resoration

Options
2»

Comments

• EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    bncarty said:
    And I have to say a HUGE thankyou to EggHeadinFlorida  who went out of his way to ship me his old fire box and fire ring.  Those items will have me up and cooking in no time. 

Your quite welcome! UPS shows the 2 boxes being delivered next Monday :)
    XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    Nice work!  A little elbow grease never hurt anyone.  :)
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Options
    Gym said:

OH!!!
    So your the guy that beat me too it on Kijiji! 
    @Gym Your not alone on that point. Just sayin.
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • bncarty
    bncarty Posts: 20
    edited November 2017
    Options

My smokeware cap arrived today. She's lookin' pretty now with her shiny new hat.

Technically, I could cook with it right now, but I'll wait til she's all done. 

EggHeadInFlorida's firebox/ring will be here next week, and I'll cross into the US to get it next weekend...very exciting how quickly this is coming together. 

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Great story- egg looks better than new. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    bncarty said:

My smokeware cap arrived today. She's lookin' pretty now with her shiny new hat.

Technically, I could cook with it right now, but I'll wait til she's all done. 

EggHeadInFlorida's firebox/ring will be here next week, and I'll cross into the US to get it next weekend...very exciting how quickly this is coming together. 

And fire grate..... Don't forget the grate LOL
    XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • bncarty
    Options
    Oh I haven't forgotten the fire grate. It'll be great. Can't wait.
    Thanks EggHeadInFlorida.
  • bncarty
    Options
    My son picked up the XL nest, which was located just north of Toronto and being sold used. He delivered it to me and all it cost me was 100 bucks for the nest and lunch for him at Wendy's...pretty good deal I'd say. 

I don't have the XL in the stand yet, but she'll be in there soon.

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,678
    Options
    Excellent find. Short of getting it free, your deal is hard to beat.
    I would love to get a deal like that.

• Woodchunk
    Options
    What will be your first cook?
  • bncarty
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Woodchunk said:
    I think I'll fire it up just outside the garage where I'm working on it and do a few practice runs to see how the vent settings react. I've never used a smokeware vent cap, so want to make sure I've got the "feel of the wheel" before I dive in. I can adjust my Vision kamado temps, which I've had for 5 years, with my eyes closed, and lock in pretty much any temp I want, but if I can nail and hold 250 on the XL Egg consistently, I'm going to do my favorite, which is brisket...and it'll be a big one. 

That said, I may have missed the window on my restoration attempt though. It will be -9C here on Friday, and I'm not sure I'll be able to get my refractory cement repairs done on the firebox/ring in those temps. My garage isn't heated so, not sure what I'll do. If worse comes to worse, I may have to wait til spring... :(

Has anyone got any experience working with refractory cement in cold temps?
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    bncarty said:
    Woodchunk said:
    I think I'll fire it up just outside the garage where I'm working on it and do a few practice runs to see how the vent settings react. I've never used a smokeware vent cap, so want to make sure I've got the "feel of the wheel" before I dive in. I can adjust my Vision kamado temps, which I've had for 5 years, with my eyes closed, and lock in pretty much any temp I want, but if I can nail and hold 250 on the XL Egg consistently, I'm going to do my favorite, which is brisket...and it'll be a big one. 

That said, I may have missed the window on my restoration attempt though. It will be -9C here on Friday, and I'm not sure I'll be able to get my refractory cement repairs done on the firebox/ring in those temps. My garage isn't heated so, not sure what I'll do. If worse comes to worse, I may have to wait til spring... :(

Has anyone got any experience working with refractory cement in cold temps?
    The Refractory Cement is not toxic. I would bring it in the house for repair.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Most broken fireboxes are complete enough to where you can set them inside the egg without cement/binders and cook on the egg for quite a while.  Come spring, if you want to glue everything together, go for it.  In the mean time, start using the egg!!

PS... my firebox is currently cracked and I have a replacement in box waiting to go in to my large... just don't have any downtime to be able to do that right now.
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Nothing like a plan coming together. Very nice job and welcome aboard.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • bncarty
    Options

So after a winter shutdown due to a freezing cold garage, and a busy spring doing yard work, my XL Egg is finally done.

I posted an ad on a local facebook group and a guy offered to make me a cooking grate complete with handles and a support ring for a great price. 

It is super strong and fits perfectly. 

The first cook was a 10 lb pork butt that looked comically tiny on the grill. It lit easily and held 250 like a champ.  The XL will only be used for big, low-and-slow cooks, while my other Kamado will remain as my go-to day-to-day cooker. 

Considering what I started with, I'm pretty happy with the results. 

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,195
    Options
    Looks really good. Nice restore. 
  • Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Fantastic !!! What a great job
  • chuckytheegghead
    chuckytheegghead Posts: 1,201
    Options
    It turned out great. Way to bring it back to life. 
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Yeah but you got no warranty. Bwahahahahaha 

Great job man, awesome job. 
  • jimdgreat1
    jimdgreat1 Posts: 175
    Options
    Looks great!

XLBGE - LBGE - Charbroil gasgrill

Wichita Kansas

• Thomasc18