Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Warranty Plate Setter

Options
MrCookingNurse
MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
edited October 2017 in EggHead Forum
I know they're called convectors now.... but that just sounds stupid to me.

My platesetter broke last weekend while I was smoking some chicken, and I went in to the local dealer and got a warranty replacement. They just gave it to me today said they had to approve it with headquarters. I'm taking home the convector now and it seems a lot more porous then they original plate setter I've had before. Any of y'all noticed any changes once they went from platesetter to convector? This one just doesn't look as solid as my old ones. 

I also didn't want to give me any paperwork on the one I picked up today. I'm assuming I only get the original three-year warranty with the first purses? Is this one not warranty for three years from now? I didn't ask all these questions while I was there because I had a van load of kids outside  and just got the new one and left. But now I'm thinking about it while I'm at home. 

XLBGE 

Comments

• MrCookingNurse
    Options
    TTT  :|

XLBGE 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I don't have an answer to your question unfortunately.  When my plate setters go I'm down for a woo and a stone.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,342
    Options
    Never had a plate setter. Went straight to CGS for an AR. Later added a spider and stone 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Sounds like your getting a bit of a run around.  Mine cracked at 2 1/2yrs, I took my old one in and left it with them, got my new one with a receipt showing $0.00'due and went on my way.   

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Thanks guys. I'm just curious if this one has any warranty, I'll call the store tomorrow and ask but if I get a few more miles and crack another one I would like a woo or AR setup. Was just curious. 

XLBGE 
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    MCN - I've always gotten paperwork on anything that is warranty replaced.  PS included.   

analyze adapt overcome

• MrCookingNurse
    Options
    @Mattman3969

yea I feel like she never wanted to do it anyway, and now they won't have to replace this one latter. I'm going to call tomorrow and try to get a receipt. 

XLBGE 
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    I would for sure.  

analyze adapt overcome

• chuckytheegghead
    Options
    The original warranty is for 3 yrs, whatever happens in 3 years is warrantable. You can’t get warranty on top of warranty indefinitely. 
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    @chuckytheegghead

that makes perfect sense. I still feel like this one should come with paperwork

XLBGE 
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    I'm pretty sure three years is three years. New or replacement shouldn't matter.  If yours breaks within 3 yrs it's replaced after 3yrs your on your own.  I'm almost positive the warranty starts the timeline again if replaced.  

analyze adapt overcome

• MrCookingNurse
    Options
    I emailed BGE mothership for clarification 

XLBGE 
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    I'm pretty sure three years is three years. New or replacement shouldn't matter.  If yours breaks within 3 yrs it's replaced after 3yrs your on your own.  I'm almost positive the warranty starts the timeline again if replaced.  
    You buy a new car, 3 yrs in the engine goes, they replace it. 3 more years the engine goes again, still warranty? It has to end somewhere. In this case 3 yrs. if he purchased a new platesetter the warranty would start the date of purchase and continue for 3 years.
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    You buy a new car, 3 yrs in the engine goes, they replace it. 3 more years the engine goes again, still warranty? It has to end somewhere. In this case 3 yrs. if he purchased a new platesetter the warranty would start the date of purchase and continue for 3 years.
    Hold tight, I'm not trying to turn this in to a revolving door of 3 year warranties. I just thought it was odd I didn't get a receipt and then I got curious what if this things breaks in like the next 6-8 months or soemthing. 

I emailed the big guys to see what they say. 

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    @Mattman3969
    @chuckytheegghead

Hello Ryan,

Thank you for the email and I am sorry that it has taken me a few days to get back with you.

Typically, there would be some type of paperwork or computer record documenting the fact that you were given a replacement part. The new plate setter does come with a 3 year warranty so I would ask the dealer if they could provide you with some form of documentation in case something happens within the 3 year warranty period.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any other questions.

Regards,

Bruce

XLBGE 
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    Wow, that’s surprising but good to know. Thanks for sharing the outcome.