Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My XL Egg Resoration

Options

I bought an XL Green Egg that had been in a fire and  I got it for $100 (Canadian).

The top and bottom ceramic shell is in perfect shape. I was told that the soot would never come off and that the hinge was unusable. They were wrong on both counts.

I've included some pictures of what it looked like when I picked it up, and what it looked like only 20 minutes later after using some  oven cleaner to remove the soot.  As you can see, it looks like new and it was super easy to clean.

Before:

20171025_161207thumbjpg161b16152a29ed2fc6459ab6181b2e5bjpg

After 20 minutes:

20171025_184041thumbjpgf72609d54acf48b275b72cbd41eeefd3jpg

The hinge is fine other than one spring that is slightly over stretched, but I hope to be able to get a replacement fairly easily. 

20171025_165557thumbjpg8a3578bf9e303de0d362b0d0cce0ecebjpg

It doesn't have a vent cap, but I hope I can find some used parts online. 

This weekend I'll replace the charred wood handle, which will be fairly simple. but sadly I'll lose the BGE branding on it.

20171025_165508thumbjpgafc885707bc808c0f0661346a0504027jpg

My biggest challenge is that there is no fire box. I'm hoping to find someone with a used fire box that was broken or cracked and repair that for use. 

If that doesn't prove feasible, I may just spring for a new fire box, but they run about $350.  I'd still be into this thing for way less money than new, or even used for that matter, but I'd like to keep my costs down as much as possible. 

Oh, and I was told  the thermometer was toast, but I removed it, cleaned it, and tested it, and it works just fine. 

I didn't try the oven cleaner  on the bottom slider, but some fine steel wool looks like it will clean it up just fine. Here's a quick test showing some soot removed after a few strokes. 

20171025_170212thumbjpg39063678bde7d626e049f68011a9b55djpg

If nothing else, I have a project and I'm having a ton of fun, which is worth a hundred bucks on its own.  Plus it's kind of cool to now to be able to say I have an Egg.  

If anyone has suggestions, warnings, thoughts, words of wisdom, I'd love to hear it. I'll try and update this post as I progress.

Brian

Comments

• jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    That’s an awesome find. Looks like you are on the road to becoming an egger! Welcome aboard. 

Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Great job so far. Looks like a fun project. Good luck, hope you get it done before the wall goes up. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    bncarty said:

Plus it's kind of cool to now to be able to say I have an Egg.  

Brian

Even better to say you saved an Egg...Nice work
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,054
    Options
    Welcome! The egg is a game changer! Congrats and what a great find!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,372
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    bncarty said:

Plus it's kind of cool to now to be able to say I have an Egg.  

Brian

Even better to say you saved an Egg...Nice work
    Tell the ladies "it's a rescue" and you're sure to get laid.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• bncarty
    bncarty Posts: 20
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome folks.
    To come clean, I've been a kamado user for five years now, just not an Egg. I'm very excited about the brand and about the size of this thing. 24 inches is soo much more room than my current 18 incher. And if any Eggheads in Eastern Ontario have any parts, I'd be happy to make the drive to buy them from you. Most importantly a broken firebox that I should be able to patch together with refractory cement. 
  • Gym
    Gym Posts: 366
    Options

OH!!!
    So your the guy that beat me too it on Kijiji! Consider us mortal enemies from this day forward!!!
  • MattBTI
    MattBTI Posts: 417
    edited October 2017
    Options
    @bncarty JB Weld has a product specifically for high heat environments that is non toxic, in case you land a cracked firebox. https://www.jbweld.com/products/j-b-extremeheat
    Pratt, KS
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Awesome.... Welcome....  you already passed the biggest hurdle... you will be the egging soon
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • bncarty
    Options
    Gym said:

OH!!!
    So your the guy that beat me too it on Kijiji! Consider us mortal enemies from this day forward!!!
    Sorry @Gym. I figured it would go fast, so I pounced. 
  • Photo Egg
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Keep an open mind with the fire box brand as others might fit. Just allow some expansion room. Assuming you have the fire ring and cooking grate you are almost there. Easier to piece together a Large BGE as there more readily available.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Buy some clay and make a firebox.
    Options
    I'm sure you could stack some firebricks on edge and make a ring with a few in the middle to set a fire grate on.  May have to trim a few or it may be a little wonky, but could be a decent temporary fix. Could even cement them together a bit.
  • chzplz
    chzplz Posts: 60
    Options
    Hello fellow Eastern Ontario BGE’er!  

If if you don’t find a daisy wheel and ceramic cap, I’d look at getting a smokeworks stainless steel one. It replaces both of them. 
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,738
    Options
    Welcome!!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• bncarty
    Options
    Legume said:
    I'm sure you could stack some firebricks on edge and make a ring with a few in the middle to set a fire grate on.  May have to trim a few or it may be a little wonky, but could be a decent temporary fix. Could even cement them together a bit.
    That's exactly what I was thinking too. Nice cheap fix if I can't find the real thing. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    Dont use steel wool on that stainless. It can embed iron particles in the stainless and then rust. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• bncarty
    Options
    Dont use steel wool on that stainless. It can embed iron particles in the stainless and then rust. 
    Thanks. Didn't know that. 
  • bncarty
    Options

I just wish the folks at BGE would sell parts instead of entire assemblies. I need one spring, but I would have to buy a $250 band/hinge assembly to get the spring....sigh. There's nothing wrong with the band or hinge, but the spring got over stretched in the fire and isn't doing its job. 

Anyone got a spring, or know where to get one spring?

• Photo Egg
    Options
    bncarty said:

I just wish the folks at BGE would sell parts instead of entire assemblies. I need one spring, but I would have to buy a $250 band/hinge assembly to get the spring....sigh. There's nothing wrong with the band or hinge, but the spring got over stretched in the fire and isn't doing its job. 

If you don't have any luck on the spring shoot me offline and I will track down a pair and send them north.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • bncarty
    Options
    So I have to ask, does anyone have two springs from an XL EGG that they'd be willing to sell and ship? Even if they are old, they'd be better than mine, which are literally toasted.
  • bncarty
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    bncarty said:

If you don't have any luck on the spring shoot me offline and I will track down a pair and send them north.
    Wow, thanks very much Darian. Super nice of you.  I'll give it a week or so then let you know.  
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    Bncarty, I have a broken XL firebox. It’s in 3 pieces. It’s yours if you want to pay shipping

XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • bncarty
    Options
    Bncarty, I have a broken XL firebox. It’s in 3 pieces. It’s yours if you want to pay shipping

Thanks for the offer.   I could patch that up and use it for sure.  Any idea what shipping would cost to my US shipping address in Ogdensburg NY 13669. I live 20 minutes from the US border, so easier to ship there and I could cross over to pick it up. I could patch that up and use it for sure. 
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    Pm me your address and Monday I’ll get you a quote. I can use the box for my new firebox to ship yours
    XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • bncarty
    Options

She's coming along. I made a new handle out of red cedar that I had left over from my deck. I made it a bit beefier than original so it fit my hand better.

And most of the black soot is off except for a few stubborn spots that require a bit more elbow grease. 

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,628
    Options
    Congrats on the great score, I saw it on Kijiji (Ottawa?) too, too far for me or else it could be sitting in my backyard now  =) 
    canuckland
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    Restoration looks to be coming along nicely. Keep us posted as you progress.