Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smashburgers for breakfast? Sure, why not!

Options
Stormbringer
Stormbringer Posts: 2,069
edited October 2017 in EggHead Forum
I decided to make smashburgers for dinner last night. However, I got too engrossed in something else, and took the mince out of the freezer too late. Smashburgers for breakfast then! The pictures aren't up to usual standards, SWMBO is away and took the proper kit.

If you've not had smashburgers before, they are awesome, this is what I made this morning:

https://thecooksdigest.co.uk/2017/05/12/umami-smash-burgers/

Garnished with bacon, tomato, smoked cheese and some mayo.

Two different buns, I was also doing a comparison of Aldi and Heston burger buns for someone in the UK:

Burgers frying away on the MM using a lodge CI surface:

Using a "cloche" ... aka wok cover ... to melt the cheese:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
| Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
| My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

Comments

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Bacon is a breakfast food

Haven’t made these in bit- need to correct that soon. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Nice burgers, 2 of them looks like a lot for breakfast though!
  • Stormbringer
    Options
    Eoin said:
    Nice burgers, 2 of them looks like a lot for breakfast though!
    Haha! It was early, and nothing until dinner. Just cooked two 15 inch pizzas, now have ribeye steak on the go. Showcasing the BGE to some friends.
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    Great way to start the day.  Burgers look great.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • Stormbringer
    Options
    EggNorth said:
    Great way to start the day.  Burgers look great.
    SWMBO came home from her travels and said "You had burgers for breakfast??? Hmm ... ok, I like that idea actually." :D

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I decided to make smashburgers for dinner last night. However, I got too engrossed in something else, and took the mince out of the freezer too late. Smashburgers for breakfast then! The pictures aren't up to usual standards, SWMBO is away and took the proper kit.

If you've not had smashburgers before, they are awesome, this is what I made this morning:

https://thecooksdigest.co.uk/2017/05/12/umami-smash-burgers/

Garnished with bacon, tomato, smoked cheese and some mayo.

Two different buns, I was also doing a comparison of Aldi and Heston burger buns for someone in the UK:

Burgers frying away on the MM using a lodge CI surface:

Using a "cloche" ... aka wok cover ... to melt the cheese:

Breakfast.....it's the most important meal of the day!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Great for any meal!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Stormbringer
    edited October 2017
    Options
    @Eoin looks like the Smashburger chain is making its way into the UK :)

https://smashburger.co.uk/locations/

Someone I know is going to Wednesbury tomorrow, and he's had one of my smash burgers. He's going to compare their product. :D

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    You are my hero!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    Love this.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Photo Egg
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Burgers are the one thing I'm normally disappointed with when I grill them on the Egg. I normally do raised direct and the drippings cause such smoldering smoke that infuse the burgers with burnt grease taste. Did 8 burgers on my XL last night that look beautiful in the photos but I really didn't like the taste. 
    Just need to stop being lazy and pull out the Cast Iron Griddle or try higher heat indirect with drip pan I guess.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • CigarCityEgger
    Options
    Breakfast of champions right there, nice!
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Burgers are the one thing I'm normally disappointed with when I grill them on the Egg. I normally do raised direct and the drippings cause such smoldering smoke that infuse the burgers with burnt grease taste. Did 8 burgers on my XL last night that look beautiful in the photos but I really didn't like the taste. 
    Just need to stop being lazy and pull out the Cast Iron Griddle or try higher heat indirect with drip pan I guess.
    I have a half ceramic stone from a kiln supplier that allows me to split the grid on the XL. Indirect with a drip pan to cook through and then just sear direct.
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Eoin said:
    Photo Egg said:
    I have a half ceramic stone from a kiln supplier that allows me to split the grid on the XL. Indirect with a drip pan to cook through and then just sear direct.
    I will try this next time. I have Adj Rig and half stone. Just falls back to lazy on my part.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Me like it!

Options
    paqman said:
    Me like it!
    So did SWMBO, we're having smash burger and fried egg in a bun (with bacon, of course) at the weekend. :)