Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Previously Frozen Spares and Salt??

It doesn't say anything on the package except all natural ingredients. Salt is a natural ingredient as far as I know.
I'm smoking some full spares tomorrow on the Lang using Meathead's Memphis Dry Rub recipe. There is no salt in his rub recipe but he recommends rubbing with 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon per pound the evening before. He cautions about over-salting meats that have salt added in the cryovac package. I don't want to over salt.
The Smithfield site doesn't mention anything so does anyone here know?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    edited October 2017
    Does the label say anything about "enhanced" or any type of additive to the ribs?  I'm wondering why the comment about "natural ingredients"-sounds like there are more than just the ribs in the package.  No Smithfield ribs on-site here.  I would go light with the salt (dry brine) the night before just in case.  FWIW-
    Edit:  What sized Lang and how long have you had it?  Asking because I have had the runt of the litter (Lang 36) for around a year.  Enjoy burning sticks and always looking to learn more.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    If the ribs are the Smithfield All Natural in the cryovac with light green labeling they don't have any solution added.
    I use the Meathead Memphis Dust recipe, I leave the rosemary out, to me it doesn't belong in the mix.
    He is correct on the salt, I use 1/2 tsp Kosher salt per pound of meat.
    It's important to mention that ribs are not 100% meat, so if you base the salt off the weight of the rib rack, you will over salt. I usually note the rack weight and measure out the salt based on that. I generally just salt the rack evenly without using all the salt I measured out.
    I'm very generous with the Memphis Dust.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    I always rinse/soak and Pat dry my ribs unless I know for sure.
    Has really helped keep them more consistent
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • GregW
    Photo Egg said:
    I always rinse/soak and Pat dry my ribs unless I know for sure.
    Has really helped keep them more consistent
    I rinse my ribs also. I don't like the way they look/feel when they come out of the cryovac bag.
  • JohnH12
    JohnH12 Posts: 213
    The nutritional info shows 90mg sodium.
    Is that added or natural in the pig?
  • GregW
    Looking on the Smithfield site, I see sodium listed on the label for the Prime All Natural ribs.
    Apparently that't the natural amount in the meat.