Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cuban Pork Enchiladas, Tacos, and More (Pic Heavy)

Options
TideEggHead
TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
The father in law called a few days ago and asked if I would smoke a few bbq butts for him and he was buying! We wanted a change up so Cuban pork was the plan for our butt. Then we took it a step further and went for enchiladas, tacos, and Cuban sandwiches. We had corn, black beans, and chips and salsa for sides. Tasty to say the least, it was so good I forgot to eat most of the sides haha.

I used a marinade of:
Orange juice
Olive oil
Lime juice
Garlic
S & P
Cumin
Onion
Bay leaf
Oregano

Other than that it was a standard butt cook.
250 degrees until IT of 165, pull, foil, and back on until IT 200=205 and then FTC.

For the enchiladas, I put those back on the egg at 350 degrees until all the cheese was melted.

I ran 3 butts: 2 bbq and 1 Cuban.

I will probably try some other types of Cuban marinades in the future, but this one did not disappoint! With all the other great posts on here, I need to work on my plating/pic game!
LBGE
AL

Comments

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Killer! I want to have dinner at your house. That looks great. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Sounds like we were on the same page last night. Looks amazing. Love me a good Cuban sandwich!

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• TideEggHead
    Options
    Sounds like we were on the same page last night. Looks amazing. Love me a good Cuban sandwich!
    We definitely were, although after seeing your method and results I am pretty jealous! I will have to give your method along with the banana leaves a run next time for sure. As brother @johnkitchens said, inadequate sums it up!
    LBGE
    AL
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Options
    Looks fantastic!  How long did you marinade the Cuban butt?  Any ideas on the measurements of each ingredient?  Any rub on the Cuban butt?

Looks and sounds incredible!  
    XL BGE
  • TideEggHead
    Options
    @SPRIGS here is the one I used, just double the recipe for a bigger butt, I did an 8lb butt. I used a Boston butt instead of a pork shoulder. I skipped the red pepper flakes and I only used about 1/3 of an onion, in hindsight I wish I would have used some cilantro!
    • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    • 1/2 cup orange juice
    • 1/2 cup lime juice
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    • 1 teaspoon cumin
    • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
    • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
    • 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
    • 7 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
    • 1 small sweet onion, sliced thin
    • 1 bay leaf
    • 3 pound pork shoulder
    I marinated it overnight and did not put any other rub on the meat. When I went to foil the meat I poured about 1 cup of the same marinade (made separately) over the butt in the foil before putting it back on the grill. Hope you have a lime juicer!
    LBGE
    AL
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,732
    Options
    Good looking cook!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Take a frggin bow!
  • JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461
    Options
    That’s some good lookin food there!
    Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV