Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sriracha Stix - Ever try them?

Options
Hub
Hub Posts: 927
edited October 2017 in EggHead Forum
I was watching a video of the BBQ Pit Boys and noticed them inserting these seasoning sticks into one of their burgers just prior to grilling.  Upon closer inspection, I learned they were Sriracha Stix and that they come in four flavors.  The maker claims they are a much more effective, alternative way to marinade your food  I've never tried them or even heard of them until now.  I'm thinking I will give them a shot.  Anyone here use them? Good? No good? What is your favorite food to use them?

Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia

Comments

• Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    edited October 2017
    Options
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Will definitely be looking for those, never heard of them before.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    Never heard of them.

They're kinda pricey at $15 per bottle.

https://www.srirachastix.com/
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• maso
    maso Posts: 240
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Never heard of them.

They're kinda pricey at $15 per bottle.

https://www.srirachastix.com/
    I agree. Not sure how many come in a bottle, but that seems like a lot of sticks for one burger! I wonder how intense it is with, what, 3 of them in there? Obviously you could do less, but if that's what they suggest...
    Large BGE in Moore, OK
  • Hub
    Options
    The website says one bottle of stix is like multiple bottles of marinade.  Plus, there are promo code savings on the site and combo packs that are less expensive.  I ordered a four pack for $31.50.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Now that is moving the adult ketchup up an order of magnitude.  May become just a great stick to chew on.  
    Edit:  Thanks @Hub for the promo steer otherwise I woulda missed it.  4 pack enroute.  Promo code good for the month of October - "GRANDOPENING", top of the web page. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I'm not a huge fan of Sriracha, and suppose the stick's effects in burgers wouldn't me much more effective than a simple injection or mixing it right into the grind. So $15/bottle is more than I'd care to do. But how they use the binders, I suppose the cellulose gum and tapioca starch, to form spice holding spikes  seems like a fine idea for whole meat pieces. Probably nothing a home cook could fake.
  • danguba78
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Now that is moving the adult ketchup up an order of magnitude.  May become just a great stick to chew on.  
    Edit:  Thanks @Hub for the promo steer otherwise I woulda missed it.  4 pack enroute.  Promo code good for the month of October - "GRANDOPENING", top of the web page. 
    Thanks for flagging the promo code—4-pack on the way as a gift for my bride, who loves Sriracha. 
    Bridgeport, Chicago, IL
    XLBGE, MiniMax BGE
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    After the discount and shipping still worked out to $15 a bottle to the GWN. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Just received the below regarding the stix:
    "Greetings from Sriracha Seasoning Stix Team:
    Thank you for your purchase of our Sriracha Seasoning Stix. This message is in regards to your purchase order of our Sriracha Seasoning Stix.  We understand that you are highly anticipating your package to arrive, but due to the high demand of online purchase orders, we are currently sold out of the Classic flavor.  We apologize for this inconvenience.  We are expecting the Classic’s to come in this following week. We will send you an email notification once they arrive and provide you with the tracking number for shipment of your order."
    FYI-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    When you all get them, someone needs to eat one straight up. Or, mail me one and I will do a video review. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• lousubcap
    Options
    @milesvdustin I'm with you as I mentioned above...
    "May become just a great stick to chew on."
     I will have to see how it goes...

• Thomasc18
    Thomasc18 Posts: 197
    Options
    Hmm debating on purchase $35 not too bad. Not great...  oh well I’ll bite
    Madison, AL
  • Hub
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Just received the below regarding the stix:
    "Greetings from Sriracha Seasoning Stix Team:
    Thank you for your purchase of our Sriracha Seasoning Stix. This message is in regards to your purchase order of our Sriracha Seasoning Stix.  We understand that you are highly anticipating your package to arrive, but due to the high demand of online purchase orders, we are currently sold out of the Classic flavor.  We apologize for this inconvenience.  We are expecting the Classic’s to come in this following week. We will send you an email notification once they arrive and provide you with the tracking number for shipment of your order."
    FYI-

I got the same exact email.  I asked them to give me a extra jalapeno instead of the classic.  They immediately emailed back that they had done so, and provided me a tracking number.  I was both disappointed and impressed.
  • HeavyG
    Options
    When you all get them, someone needs to eat one straight up. Or, mail me one and I will do a video review. 
    As hot sauces go, sriracha is pretty mild so I wouldn't expect one of those stix to be any hotter.

Or maybe in stix form it has concentrated the heat??

We'll have to wait and see.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    I wasnt expecting a heat factor, but a disgusting factor. I love the sauce but a stick of it like a fun- dip sounds revolting to eat. In food i imagine it dissolves somewhat, and you only eat a little piece at a time. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• lousubcap
    edited October 2017
    Options
    After the above e-mail with the out of stock, on Weds I got one saying the shipment was on its way.  It just arrived-here's a pic of one of the stix ( around 1/8" diameter) and the quantity in each bottle.  

BTW- the stix has a quite high flavor density based on the raw taste test.  Will be fun to mess with.  
    Edit: The stix will not become a chewy stick for me.  
  • Hub
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Mine arrived yesterday, so today I bought some chicken tenders and some ground chuck to try them with.  Not sure if my first "stix" cook will be a burger or the chicken tenders, but one or the other in the next hour.  Good or bad I plan to post a review.  In all honesty, these things look and smell pretty cool.  I hope it works. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @Hub- standing by for your insights as the straight up chew-stick is not an option for me.  ;)
  • HeavyG
    Options
    I chewed on one (original flavor) just to see what the flavor/taste was like. The stix are very hard but I'm sure they dissolve fairly readily.

The heat level from just a tiny nibble of the stick was pretty good. My wife didn't like the smell of them -  I intentionally blew towards her as we played our usual after dinner Scrabble game - as she is not big on hot sauce stuff and she said she could feel it burning the back of her throat. So of course I kept doing it to throw her off her game. :) 

• Hub
    Options
    I tried two different flavors in two separate burgers.  One burger I did two and a half of the jalapeno sticks.  The other burger I did two and a half of the garlic sticks.  Both burgers were outstanding in all respects and bursting with flavor.  My only concern is that the sticks break fairly easily, and I think it would be difficult to get them into tougher cuts of meat.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @Hub - thanks for the review.  I'm with you regarding trying to load into a tougher cut but time will tell.  My weekend menu is such that I will have to try them out this coming week.  
  • Hub
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @Hub - thanks for the review.  I'm with you regarding trying to load into a tougher cut but time will tell.  My weekend menu is such that I will have to try them out this coming week.  
    The videos above speak of a tool that they make to insert the sticks into tougher cuts of meat, but I can't find the tool on their site and not sure if it's available or not.
  • HeavyG
    Options
    Perhaps a regular icepick to make a "pilot hole" might make insertion a bit easier?

• lousubcap
    Options
    A perfect side job for an instant read thermo.  Thanks @HeavyG.  
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    Bamboo skewer. Thermapen.