Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Cutting the cord

Comments

• I finally had enough of paying DirectV $147 a month so I called and bitched!  I ended up switching my cell service over to AT&T and now after all discounts I'm paying $40 a month for DirectV.  My cell bill was reduced by $10 switching from Verizon to AT&T.  I'm a happy camper!!
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    edited October 2017

I was leaning toward cutting the cord, but I recently read an article that has me a little shook.  Can't find the link, so I'll summarize.

Major players are seeing streaming for the cash cow that it is.  Specifically, Disney and CBS all-access.  With Disney planning a separation from Netflix and CBS all-access releasing highly-desirable exclusive content, There seems to be a market trend toward multiple streaming platforms instead of a handful of major players with consolidated content.  If you have to pay $10-ish for 7-10 platforms(Netflix, Hulu, Prime, Disney, CBS, HBO Now, sling + future diversification), it may become less desirable than having a singular, consolidated platform offering all of your content in one place (cable). 

These experts were predicting a return to traditional cable dependent on cable companies ability to improve offerings for mobile tech.

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Herky
    Herky Posts: 30
    DieselkW said:
    We like Playstation Vue, keeps my AMC addiction to Walking Dead alive (pun intended) and has all the sports with a big bonus... the virtual and automatic DVR. If you watch a channel, they automatically DVR that channel for 28 days so you can go back to any game, any episode, any time for almost a month before it disappears.

Big downside: If I'm looking for a college game played last Saturday, they show the final score. Helpful if you're keeping stats in your head, not so helpful if you want to watch a game you missed and don't want to know who won before watching it.

Adding Hulu and Netflix and CBS and Amazon Prime, all without commercials, has my monthly cost back up to my corded days, but so much more content without commercials I don't mind paying $100/month. 

I would pay double that to watch TV without a single commercial interruption.
    There is an option somewhere to turn that off.  I remember when they added that functionality and it asked me if I wanted to see game scores.  
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,523
    johnnyp said:

I was leaning toward cutting the cord, but I recently read an article that has me a little shook.  Can't find the link, so I'll summarize.

Major players are seeing streaming for the cash cow that it is.  Specifically, Disney and CBS all-access.  With Disney planning a separation from Netflix and CBS all-access releasing highly-desirable exclusive content, There seems to be a market trend toward multiple streaming platforms instead of a handful of major players with consolidated content.  If you have to pay $10-ish for 7-10 platforms(Netflix, Hulu, Prime, Disney, CBS, HBO Now, sling + future diversification), it may become less desirable than having a singular, consolidated platform offering all of your content in one place (cable). 

These experts were predicting a return to traditional cable dependent on cable companies ability to improve offerings for mobile tech.

@johnnyp

there are single site options out there.

if you would like to save a couple of grand a year...

IMO Best VPN =

https://nordvpn.com/servers/usa-2y-deal/?nvpqt=bnz&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9cGd44_X1gIVTQeGCh0UfQf_EAAYASAAEgLVmfD_BwE

Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    billt01 said:

IMO Best VPN =

I already use Kodi, I just don't view it as a long term solution.  Currently, streaming is legal due to a technicality.  I don't see that loophole staying open for much longer.  Telecommunication companies pocket's are too deep.
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

Don't know if it's just me, but I'm hardly watching any network TV anymore.  The political nastiness has worked it's way into everything -  (both sides).  

Have netflix now, probably will let that go.  I like some of the premium channel stuff - that I can download or subscribe individually.

I can't even remember the cord - cut directv back in 2008.
    Phoenix 
  • Proser
    Proser Posts: 271
    cheeaa said:
    Weird bump... lol... Just this weekend actually we bought 2 roku tvs. I bitched to the uverse retention and they cut me a pretty good deal for 12 months. We've been playing with the streaming services built into these tv's though and it's awesome. With YouTube on the tv's for the kids, we haven't turned the DVD player on since. Can't wait to try Netflix too. Once I figure out how to record live sports while streaming, we'll drop the cable. Any ideas on that?
    There are a couple of options for your local sports that I know of. Hdhomerun and the one I have used for a couple of years Tablo.  Both record OTA channels and you can access on phone or tablet to set recordings or watch
    Arlington, TX  1 large, 1 medium, 1 Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    blasting said:

Bit torrent has worked well and cost me zero over the last dozen years.  Movies, TV etc.  I've added a VPN the last couple years in order to be totally anonymous.  This cost somewhere around $40 per year.

Some sporting events and local news may be an issue.  But there are solutions for those too.

Which VPN service?
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • blasting
    4Runner said:h
    blasting said:

Bit torrent has worked well and cost me zero over the last dozen years.  Movies, TV etc.  I've added a VPN the last couple years in order to be totally anonymous.  This cost somewhere around $40 per year.

Some sporting events and local news may be an issue.  But there are solutions for those too.

Which VPN service?

Private intermet access
    Phoenix 
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    I finally had enough of paying DirectV $147 a month so I called and bitched!  I ended up switching my cell service over to AT&T and now after all discounts I'm paying $40 a month for DirectV.  My cell bill was reduced by $10 switching from Verizon to AT&T.  I'm a happy camper!!
    I thought I had a pretty good deal. How did you get the bill from $147 down to $40?
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Toxarch
    blasting said:
    4Runner said:h
    blasting said:

Which VPN service?

Private intermet access
    I use PIA. Great price when you pay for a year. I put in a router that sends all internet traffic for the house through PIA. I just wonder if they consider the router as a single device.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• They threw every discount my way plus when I switched cell providers got another $25 off the DirectV bill.  Also when I switched cell providers we got HBO for free.  
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    As soon as I find a streaming service with all the networks and DVR I will switch to that immediately. I can only get 2 of the networks with my antenna. I watch live sports so the networks are a must. I check every few weeks, really tired of paying Directv every month. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • billt01
    @Hi54putty

Why do you need a DVR. I haven't used one in years!!!!!
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    billt01 said:
    @Hi54putty

You must have more free time than I do. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Kcheves
    Kcheves Posts: 92
    Hi54putty said:
    As soon as I find a streaming service with all the networks and DVR I will switch to that immediately. I can only get 2 of the networks with my antenna. I watch live sports so the networks are a must. I check every few weeks, really tired of paying Directv every month. 
    Where do you live?  I haven't dropped DirecTV yet, but I've been using YouTube TV for the past month and it meets your criteria.  Not available everywhere, but it is rapidly expanding.  In San Diego, we get all the networks.  The DVR function is good with unlimited recording.  Shows are kept for 9 months.  The downside for live sports is that they don't automatically extend the recording, yet.  I'm sure it will improve over time.

"Semper ubi sub ubi"

San Diego, CA

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    This thread reminds me that I pay too much for tv and I watch too much tv.
  • Toxarch
    edited October 2017
    billt01 said:
    @Hi54putty

I only watch from the DVR. Skip a lot of commercials and get to watch when I want to watch. And I can do my own replays if I want.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

• blasting
    Kcheves said: I've been using YouTube TV for the past month 

I really like the YouTubeTV option.  Only thing it's missing for me is the Food Network.  I think I'll sign up for the free trial, but that is kind of deal breaker.  
    Phoenix 
  • Kcheves
    Kcheves Posts: 92
    blasting said:

I really like the YouTubeTV option.  Only thing it's missing for me is the Food Network.  I think I'll sign up for the free trial, but that is kind of deal breaker.  
    Definitely do the trial so you understand how the app and casting works.  You need a ChromeCast or AppleTV, and you use your PC/MAC, tablet or phone to stream.  I’ve been using an ATV, but have switched to a ChromeCast dongle, that I was given by Google when I paid for the first
    month.  I’m additon to Food Network, they don’t have HGTV or TNT.  Hopefully this gets addressed.  

"Semper ubi sub ubi"

San Diego, CA

• blasting
    Kcheves said:
    blasting said:

Definitely do the trial so you understand how the app and casting works.  You need a ChromeCast or AppleTV, and you use your PC/MAC, tablet or phone to stream.  I’ve been using an ATV, but have switched to a ChromeCast dongle, that I was given by Google when I paid for the first
    month.  I’m additon to Food Network, they don’t have HGTV or TNT.  Hopefully this gets addressed.  

I did sign up for the free trial.  So far, I like it.  I'll look for another source for the Food Network.  Food Network isn't something I sit and watch, but I like it playing when I'm working around the house.
    Phoenix 
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Hi54putty said:
    PS Vue has what you're looking for. All the networks, MLB Network if you're in to baseball, we have NESN (regional sports network), HBO and Showtime for a little more. 

Can be loaded onto an Amazon Firestick, AppleTV, Roku, your iPad, smartphone, etc. Give it a look, they have a free 7 day trial I believe. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • nlovold
    nlovold Posts: 194
    For those worried about dvr over air, check this device out.  I haven't personally used it, but have heard good things.  https://www.silicondust.com/
  • I cut the cord a year ago.  I have slingtv, Netflix, hbo, and amazon prime video.  It's @ $70 per month.  My old directv bill was $278 per month for a bunch of garbage we did not watch.  It's one of the best decisions I've made. 
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    Our 32" (if that) flat screen stays in the cleaning closet with the DVD player.  They come out once in a while so the kids can watch movies.  We do have Amazon Prime so my wife and I will watch shows on occasion.  I am not a reader, but have been reading more at night before bed.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    I have Cable internet from Comcast on my own modem, so that runs me $19.99 per month
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    edited October 2017
    I have wanted to cut the cord for sometime now, just too chicken to do it.  

I switched to AT&T last Dec, when they came out with the new unlimited plans that also offers no data DirecTV watching on your mobile device.  The 2-3 times I use that comes in handy.  However, the bad item is, I have to change to a different unlimited plan, and with that I lose my corporate discount through work, but save $25 on DTV NOW, and would only pay $10 a month for that low tier service, which fits our life.  

I was planning to go DirecTV NOW and get an antenna for OTA.  The new Mohu is coming out 10/8 and is $149 at BestBuy only (I think or is an exclusive).  I like the idea of the Mohu being the hub if you will of your streaming devices.  I think the integration it offers is worth the extra dollars.  

I'm with @blasting, FoodNetwork is a big item for me and we do the same here as you, just have it going in the background when doing things.  

I was planning to get a Roku device to handle the rest (Netflix, Amazon, etc).  

Edit: 

I may go to the new Fire TV.  Can get that plus a antenna for $74!  Or Fire TV and Echo Dot for $79.  I'd want to add the Ethernet connector, so that would add another $15.

http://amzn.to/2y4ubOU
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • billt01
    @tarheelmatt

when you get your fire TV in...shoot me an PM.....

I know a little bit about side loading them there things...
    Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    billt01 said:
    @tarheelmatt

I'll shoot you one.  Now, this is the new version, coming out Oct. 25.  Think it'll work with the new one?
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • billt01
    billt01 said:
    @tarheelmatt

I'll shoot you one.  Now, this is the new version, coming out Oct. 25.  Think it'll work with the new one?
    i would think so, but I won't know until we see the new code...
    Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga