Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Cutting the cord

Options

Comments

• ChrisSonn23
    ChrisSonn23 Posts: 280
    Options
    Cut the cord a few months ago. Went with the Playstation Vue. Has all the basic channels you would need and is only $54 a month. Have a FireBox in each room without the PlayStation and it doesn't miss a beat. Had DVR capabilities and I use a HD antenna for my local channels. Highly recommended.
    BGE Dealer and EggHead since 2013. Find our company on Facebook
    Large BGE
    Waterloo, IL
  • girbim
    girbim Posts: 25
    Options
    I never cut the cord, because I never had a cord to cut.  As TV went digital, I went with a system called SageTV to give me DVR capability.  Google bought that company and shut it down, so it really isn't available any more to new users.  I bought my parents a DVR+ from ChannelMaster. That system seems decent.  It looks like it is even on sale.  

I am not up to date on other options.  It seems like others will charge a monthly channel guide fee and others are better-suited for use with multiple devices.
    Large BGE

Minneapolis, MN
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I had my firestick side loaded with Kodi and now it's gone so the crack down is far and wide. And it's gone from my fire TV as well.
    When the Firestick updates itself, it will sometimes erase Kodi from the Firestick due to incompatibility. You just have to reinstall Kodi with the latest version and you are good. I recommend installing Wookie after that if you don't already. You can also turn off the auto update to stop it from happening again.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Toxarch
    Options
    blasting said:

Bit torrent has worked well and cost me zero over the last dozen years.  Movies, TV etc.  I've added a VPN the last couple years in order to be totally anonymous.  This cost somewhere around $40 per year.

Some sporting events and local news may be an issue.  But there are solutions for those too.

What VPN do you use? Been looking into adding a VPN to the router to cover the whole house network. I am thinking of going with HideMyAss VPN.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Toxarch
    Options
    cheeaa said:
    So, we're finally getting ready to cut the cord and are looking for the best options. Luckily for me, the wife is redecorating both living rooms so soon we will have 2 new 4k tv's to help.
    Before you start streaming video, be aware that you will need a lot of bandwidth to stream multiple 4k videos at the same time. Rural areas are lucky if we can get the bandwidth to steam one 4k video. So hope you are on FiOS or something. Also, check the download limit in your internet contract. Most all have a monthly cap on it and then start charging you a LOT for a little extra if you go over. A few devices streaming 4K video will reach that limit a lot faster than you think.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    Do you mean ditch cable for streaming?

netflix Hulu and hbo now
    Glad he's not jumping out of a plane. =)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • tz666
    tz666 Posts: 404
    Options
    I had my firestick side loaded with Kodi and now it's gone so the crack down is far and wide. And it's gone from my fire TV as well.
    Its still there, look under settings/manage installed apps and you can launch it from there. 

• tz666
    tz666 Posts: 404
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    When the Firestick updates itself, it will sometimes erase Kodi from the Firestick due to incompatibility. You just have to reinstall Kodi with the latest version and you are good. I recommend installing Wookie after that if you don't already. You can also turn off the auto update to stop it from happening again.
    I use wookie also, its the best I have found. Install downloader app on firestick and type in the address for the APKS files and save it as a favorite in downloader.
    http://wookiespmc.com/APKS
    goto program add ons in KODI and the wookie button is already there and will take you right to the install screen
    I have noticed now my Kodi or Wookie doesnt show up in previously used apps and I have to launch from the manage installed apps screen

• News2u
    News2u Posts: 335
    Options
    Cut the cord a few months ago. Went with the Playstation Vue. Has all the basic channels you would need and is only $54 a month. Have a FireBox in each room without the PlayStation and it doesn't miss a beat. Had DVR capabilities and I use a HD antenna for my local channels. Highly recommended.
    Build your own. YouTube has paint-by-number videos by the dozens on DIY attennas. Check out my thread from June 8:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1206412/smooth-landing-after-cutting-the-cord/p1

Beef...It's what's for dinner tonight.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    blasting said:

Bit torrent has worked well and cost me zero over the last dozen years.  Movies, TV etc.  I've added a VPN the last couple years in order to be totally anonymous.  This cost somewhere around $40 per year.

Some sporting events and local news may be an issue.  But there are solutions for those too.

What VPN do you use? Been looking into adding a VPN to the router to cover the whole house network. I am thinking of going with HideMyAss VPN.

This is the one I use.

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/buy-vpn/

Phoenix 
  • nolabrew
    nolabrew Posts: 246
    Options
    Just tell the nurses beforehand that you want to be the one to cut the cord, they get that request all of the time so it's not weird at all.  Be sure to tell them you want to keep the placenta because it's packed with vitamins and nutrients meant to sustain the mother after birth.  You may get some odd looks from the medical staff but trust me it's worth it.
  • cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    edited July 2017
    Options
    These are all great options. Thanks guys. Gotta tell ya, I didnt realize the antennae was so damn big. Lol

Anyone know how to record shows that air live (mostly hockey games) and watch later? 

Oh and crackdown or not, the kodi thing looks awesome

• TN_Sister_State
    TN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130
    Options
    Kodi is awesome. Found it again thanks to the help here.
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Read moar bookz!
    Options
    cheeaa said:
    These are all great options. Thanks guys. Gotta tell ya, I didnt realize the antennae was so damn big. Lol

Anyone know how to record shows that air live (mostly hockey games) and watch later? 

There are different size antennas. The farther away from the broadcast towers, the bigger the antenna you might need. I am a good 45 miles from the tower cluster. I have an old VHF/UHF antenna hanging from the rafters in the attic and it works great for picking up HD. If you are close, a small 1 square foot antenna will work.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

• Proser
    Proser Posts: 271
    Options
    cheeaa said:

I use Tablo to record OTA channels. It's easier for my wife to watch her network shows than to find them with Kodi

Arlington, TX  1 large, 1 medium, 1 Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone
  • tenpenny_05
    tenpenny_05 Posts: 286
    edited July 2017
    Options
    We cut the cord over a year ago, we share streaming service logins with friends and family. We have a Firestick with netflix, amazon, sling, and hulu for the price of our prime subscription. Also we have Kodi which is really awesome.  The only thing I would do different would be buy the fire box not the stick so you can have a hard wired internet connection and not rely on wifi.
    The best surprise was the digital antenna I bought at walmart for 10 dollars. It sticks on the wall behind our tv and I'm amazed how good the picture is. All the local channels and local sports games for free!
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Second hand Medium BGE, Second hand Black Kamado Joe Classic, Second hand Weber Kettle, Second hand Weber Smokey Mountain
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    I know someone that made this antenna for his cabin, works well, and he said it was easy to make
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Homemade-TV-antenna/
  • cheeaa
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    cheeaa said:

There are different size antennas. The farther away from the broadcast towers, the bigger the antenna you might need. I am a good 45 miles from the tower cluster. I have an old VHF/UHF antenna hanging from the rafters in the attic and it works great for picking up HD. If you are close, a small 1 square foot antenna will work.
    Thanks. This makes sense. I'm basically in the suburbs of stl so it probably wouldn't be bad. 

I appreciate the feedback everyone!
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    cheeaa said:
    Thanks. This makes sense. I'm basically in the suburbs of stl so it probably wouldn't be bad. 

I appreciate the feedback everyone!
    You've got it even better......

HTTP://www.antennasdirect.com is located in Ellisville.  You can head over there an get an open box one for a discount.  Plus they have all the amplifiers, splitters, etc if you need them.

My old house sat in a valley, so I had to get a directional......the unidirectional had a lot of fuzz.  They gave me four antennas to try and I just returned the three that didn't work.  That was ten years ago during the HD switch over.  They were operating out of storage unit place in Eureka and we're growing like wildfire.  Now they have a really nice building off Old State in Ellisville.

• News2u
    Options
    Started streaming with DirectTV Now in December when its promotional lifetime $35/mo introductory, no contract subscription kicked off. More than 100 channels including ESPN, CNN, HGTV -- the whole 9 -- and a trial subscription to HBO that's been running for like a year at no extra cost; don't know when it'll end & don't care.  We piggyback our son's HBO Now login. No regrets--navigating a bit annoying but far easier than Sling. Been satellite free for nearly a year and a half -- a distant memory since cutting the cord and using the satellite foot mount for a homemade antenna to reel in all local stations; it feeds all 3 of our flatscreens full strength HD signals using old satellite coaxial cables runs in the attic.Cording cutting savings has more than paid for our 65", 4K, High Dynamic Range Samsung.
    Despite the savings, we go to the local affiliates and DirecTV Now only as a last resort ... satisfying most of our viewing needs thru Netflix and Amazon Prime cuz we still can't stomach commercials.  
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,530
    Options
    you got options if you get an Android box where you can load APKs.

Terrarium TV
    MobDro
    Kodi
    ETC..

just do some google searches on the above 

you can definitely go down a rabbit hole
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• News2u
    Options
    billt01 said:
    you got options if you get an Android box where you can load APKs.

Terrarium TV
    MobDro
    Kodi
    ETC..

just do some google searches on the above 

you can definitely go down a rabbit hole
    Will do. Always lookin' for a better mouse trap.
  • cheeaa
    Options
    Weird bump... lol... Just this weekend actually we bought 2 roku tvs. I bitched to the uverse retention and they cut me a pretty good deal for 12 months. We've been playing with the streaming services built into these tv's though and it's awesome. With YouTube on the tv's for the kids, we haven't turned the DVD player on since. Can't wait to try Netflix too. Once I figure out how to record live sports while streaming, we'll drop the cable. Any ideas on that?
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I use and recommend Private Internet Access (PIA) for my VPN.
    Seems to be fast enough to stream with and they supposedly don't maintain any records.
    I bought a 2 year subscription when I was playing with a Nvidia Shield with Kodi.
    I quickly decided that Kodi was not for me and I went back to my Roku.

The PIA VPN is plenty fast to stream video with for me.
  • Toxarch
    Options
    I've been using PIA for a while now. There are a couple of websites, such as AT&T's login page, that doesn't like me being on a VPN. But I am fine with that. Low cost anonymous browsing and extra security against a hacker trying to snoop through my network.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,530
    edited October 2017
    Options
    for those Kodi Fans...

Throw the Mobdro and Terrarium TV APKs on there...

You will go to Kodi no more due to better quality streams and LIVE...yes...LIVE TV
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• News2u
    Options
    cheeaa said:
    Weird bump... lol... Just this weekend actually we bought 2 roku tvs. I bitched to the uverse retention and they cut me a pretty good deal for 12 months. We've been playing with the streaming services built into these tv's though and it's awesome. With YouTube on the tv's for the kids, we haven't turned the DVD player on since. Can't wait to try Netflix too. Once I figure out how to record live sports while streaming, we'll drop the cable. Any ideas on that?
    Use built in streaming all the time with our Samsung, but no ROKU interface. Course, now, ROKU yesterday dropped its Ultra streaming box price to $99 to counter the latest version of Apple TV's Johnny-come-lately 4K-HDR box, which now will have the Amazon Prime app. At half Apple's price with more features, tempted to add Roku to the mix. Learned after buying the Samsung, the sets sold in the U.S. are pre-set NOT to allow recording. Supposedly, it can some how be overridden.
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    We like Playstation Vue, keeps my AMC addiction to Walking Dead alive (pun intended) and has all the sports with a big bonus... the virtual and automatic DVR. If you watch a channel, they automatically DVR that channel for 28 days so you can go back to any game, any episode, any time for almost a month before it disappears.

Big downside: If I'm looking for a college game played last Saturday, they show the final score. Helpful if you're keeping stats in your head, not so helpful if you want to watch a game you missed and don't want to know who won before watching it.

Adding Hulu and Netflix and CBS and Amazon Prime, all without commercials, has my monthly cost back up to my corded days, but so much more content without commercials I don't mind paying $100/month. 

I would pay double that to watch TV without a single commercial interruption.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,865
    Options
    Not the childbirth thread I initially thought, however, in such circumstances I always turn to Hip-Hop of the early 90's.

These lads offer some insightful perspective;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgOWTM5R2DA

And they released an album with William S Burroughs, what better testament to lucidity can there be?

Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay