Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Aluminum LBGE table in progress

Options
2»

Comments

• SeanP
    SeanP Posts: 30
    Options

I cut the reinforcement wire. Then I laid out the broken glass that will become the top when I take it out of the mold.

I mixed the cement that had Charcoal color dye. The first batch I put on carefully not to move the glass around.

I put ½ the concrete in the mold then I put the reinforcement wire in. I added the rest of the concrete with some crushed glass in.

I vibrated it for about 2 hours to get the as much air out as I could.

I then covered it with white plastic to keep the moisture in so it can cure slowly and be strong.

This is my first time doing a cement top. I based all the steps off this project.

http://www.diypete.com/diy-polished-concrete-coffee-table-crushed-glass/

Wow, two hours is excessive. Hopefully all the aggregate didn't settle to the bottom. Looking forward to seeing the finished product. Great idea.
  • pinballLooking
    pinballLooking Posts: 127
    edited September 2017
    Options

I did not have a concrete vibrator I was just using a palm sander. I have the top on two steel welding stands. I was vibrating the stands it was working but not like a concrete vibrator. I used it on the sides also. Once I stop seeing air bubbling up I stopped.

I would have a better setup if I did it again and it would go much faster.      

Hopefully it worked I know there is a happy medium where the air is out the aggregate does not go to the bottom.

I can’t wait to take the mold off. Some people say wait 48 hours others say four days.

• pinballLooking
    edited October 2017
    Options

This weekend I sanded/sealed the top. It is ready to go on the table. I am very close to putting the table all together I just ran out of day light. I removed the top from the mold.

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
  • pinballLooking
    Options

I took some time and finished it. I will change out the feet for a table nest soon.

Here is a good reason to not just use feet over wood.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @pinballLooking beach/ocean glass?  Looking good as you progress. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • pinballLooking
    Options

Two small bags sea glass (Hobby lobby). A few Heineken beer bottles this glass was more fun than the other glass. :)

A few colored mason jars.

The mason jars were not colored the whole way through and some of it sanded clear but that just added more colors and variety.

• pinballLooking
    edited October 2017
    Options

I just called my local BGE dealer and the have the table nest in stock for $35. My wife will pick it up for me later today. I am going to make some diamond plate covers with small skirt that go over the top castors.   

• pinballLooking
    edited October 2017
    Options

The video I posted said you could use 50 grit diamond pads for sanding the first pass. These ware out way to fast. (all the other grit pads worked great) I went to home depot and bought 4” double row diamond cup wheel this work so much better to expose the aggregate. This did the job in a 1/10 the time it worked so well.

The reviews said that it worked on big countertop top and he loved it, he was so right.

Just a tip in case someone else wants to do this.

• Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Great job and info. No telling how much table building you have spawned
  • pinballLooking
    Options

I like it better with the nest table stand. Back to cooking tonight.

• Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    Great looking table.  Nice work!

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    And that......is how it is done. Very nice job!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • pinballLooking
    Options

Thanks, it is a very simple design but is holding up well. We have been enjoying it.

I am doing a first car project with my son and I aluminum welded a timing cover.

Without doing this project I would not have had enough practice/ experience to do that job.

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    How did you keep everything square while you were welding it?
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    Awesome
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • pinballLooking
    Options
    How did you keep everything square while you were welding it?

If you look at the first page of the this post the first image it shows the clamping. It is clamped to the welding table then I use a carpenter’s square. I welded all four corners then welded the middle supports.

I now have a Welders 2-Axis Welders Angle Clamps that would work prefect for that project.

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    Mrrrrph.... I really do have to get a welder now... grrrr
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    When I weld legs or something that needs to be square, I use magnetic squares or a framing square. Something I'm doing a lot of, I make a jig.

It will never be perfect, but a good technique is to make a couple "bumps" in one plane, tac on both sides of the "leg" or whatever it is.  Once tacked, you can bend it like a hinge, the weld should have some give before it breaks, then tack a third point. 

Be prepared to bust it apart and redo.

Welding is fun!