Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Freezing Fresh Herbs???

Options
Mattman3969
Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
edited September 2017 in EggHead Forum
thinkin bout throwing some herbs the vac packed bags and freezing.  Anybody ever done this or have better ideas to keep Herbs fresh for cooking over the winter months?   

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.

Comments

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    My wife freezes parsley and cilantro to good effect.  We use these in sauces mostly they definitely lose their crispness but to no ill effect when cooked. I'm going to try my hand at drying and grinding some and then heating in oil for use this winter (like board sauces etc).  
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    @U_tarded do you vac pack of just ziplock?

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Matt, you wrap almost all of them in a Saran Wrap “roll up” and then keep in a zip lock. Pull out and unroll what you need over the winter. We do this with basil and sage. Parsley and cilantro do less well but ok. Good luck. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    @U_tarded do you vac pack of just ziplock?
    Ziplock, or Tupperware type containers.  Never really given much though to vac packing that would probably be better no ice crystal formation. 
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Use a regular ice cube tray. Put a few tablespoons of each herb in a cube and top with olive oil. After it's frozen, pop the cubes out and vacuum seal. Better yet, get an Aerogarden and grow them fresh year round inside.The large one on the left has Romaine lettuce and the smaller one on the right has basil, oregano, and thyme. The oregano and thyme have not sprouted yet.

Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    basil turns black in the freezer but the taste in sauce is still alot better than dried.  made basil salt this year will see how that stands up, keeping it in the fridge.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I haven't grown my own but we buy herb paste like this which is just chopped up herbs in oil. We love this stuff. I think making your own like @Dredger mentioned would be great. I think I might use ice cube trays and also a couple of small jars in case you want to move some to the fridge for fresh applications like herb butter or herb mayo.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.