Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Wireless ceiling fan control

Options
Long story short, I have pocket doors going into my new house that I am building. Need to install wireless switches to control the fan. Dimming would be nice, but not necessary. Light on/off, fan speed is all I really need. No wires to the switch in the wall at all. I am going to use GoConex switches for the lights, they don't make something for fans. 

Any thoughts? I will have some work boxes in the wall that are 1.25" deep. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

Comments

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Are you also replacing the fan?

I use lutron Caseta wireless light switches.  You can connect the switches to a wifi bridge if you want and control the lights using an app on your phone and even Siri if you have an iPhone.  Hunter makes some wireless control for their fans.

edited September 2017
    Options
    Brand new construction, no fans installed yet. I looked at the caseta switches, dont see an option for ceiling fans.  

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I just use a good shoe, (or two, three...) from across the room. With some practice, you will get the hang of it. 

Ha it's Friday! ;)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Insteon has fan modules that can be controlled by their phone app. You'll need a hub for the Insteon system.

They also make a micro controller that can fit into junction boxes or behind fixtures. I don't know if this would work for a fan.

You could wire the switch terminal closed (i.e. always "on") and just control the fan or fixture through the Insteon app. 

I have several things on Insteon devices (landscape lights, patio lights, lamps, pool pump, fluid level sensor for mosquito mister tank) and have been happy with the system so far. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I'm confused you say no wires but there is power right?
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Lit said:
    I'm confused you say no wires but there is power right?
    hes looking for no wires to be running from the fixture to the switch. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Well, there's this...

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Why not get a fan with wireless built in? We have one in our bedroom and family room, works great. I think they are Hampton Bay?

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Lighting-Ceiling-Fans-Ceiling-Fans-Accessories/Hampton-Bay/Remote-Control-Included/N-5yc1vZbvo0Zp4Z1z0tey8
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    I'v got a 25 year old wireless Hunter. No doubt there are plenty more models with builtin wireless these days.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I had a wireless controller on a fan in my sons room a few years ago. One day we were all downstairs and I started to smell smoke, and the smoke detector started alarming. I went upstairs to find my sons room filled with smoke.  The wireless control module mounted in the fan had failed, it was literally on fire. If this would have happened during the night, it could have been a tragic thing.

This was an aftermarket fan controller. It cost me a very expensive American made Hunter Original fan, but the cost could have been unbearable. We were lucky.

In the future I will be very selective in buying anything to add to a ceiling fan to control the speeds and light functions. 
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Brand new construction, no fans installed yet. I looked at the caseta switches, dont see an option for ceiling fans.  
    There is no Caseta switch for the fan but their app can integrate the Hunter HomeKit enabled fans.  Not sure if the fans comes with a physical remote or not.  Hunter sells wireless retrofit kits for their fans; they come with a wireless dongle.  Mine had a bracket that could be screwed to the wall but we keep it in the nightstand drawer.

https://www.hunterfan.com/Accessories/Controls