Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Firecraft.com No Longer in the Lump Charcoal Game...

Brethren,

Apologies if this is old news, I've been off the forums for a bit, but I did a search prior to posting and didn't see anything.

Got my monthly email from Firecraft (been using them for years) advertising its "end of season" sale, and when I went to the site I noticed that it has changed a lot. As in there is no more lump charcoal for sale.

I called the company and asked and they said that they are getting out of the lump charcoal game and are solely focused on pellet grills and accessories.

Sad day for this family. Maybe the shipping and price increases got the best of them. Hope it doesn't portend a trend...
Manning our FOB in occupied Northern Virginia...

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    I didn't use them for mine...but a bummer just the same.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    There have been a couple of threads about this.

Doesn't seem too surprising - I can't imagine they were making much (if any) profit from shipping out big heavy bags of charcoal.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Used them several times for lump and often added a few other items just because they had great selection and the shipping was free at that point. Have had nothing but great experience with them, including their customer service when I had a minor issue. It's certainly less of a problem now that it's become much easier to get Rockwood through Ace.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Used them several times for lump and often added a few other items just because they had great selection and the shipping was free at that point. Have had nothing but great experience with them, including their customer service when I had a minor issue. It's certainly less of a problem now that it's become much easier to get Rockwood through Ace.
    Ditto for us - we would always pad it out with rubs and sauces and smoking woods. All of that is gone now. But yes, our local ACE has the Rockwood too, just a little more expensive than we were used to. But convenient, and as one of the posters said above, don't have to buy in bulk and store for prolonged periods of time between shipments...

Manning our FOB in occupied Northern Virginia...
  • For all Ace customers and future customers.....SIGN UP FOR THE REWARDS!!!!  They will mail you $5 off $15, $7 off $20, etc. quite often and on your birthday.  A lot of rewards programs are BS and more like rebates, but this one is legit.
    Could not agree more. I've always liked that they can actually answer non-BGE questions that I have so I don't mind paying a little more for stuff, but if I need something I almost always have a discount offer of some sort for them.
    Stillwater, MN
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    I used Firecraft and like what they offered....Always bought 5 bags to get the free shipping....guess I will have to find another supplier.  Glad this thread was brought up again as I missed the others.  Ace may be my go to place now...

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• Get my Rockwood now at local Ace and use my "rewards" card discounts to get $10 off per bag!  No brainer!
  • For all Ace customers and future customers.....SIGN UP FOR THE REWARDS!!!!  They will mail you $5 off $15, $7 off $20, etc. quite often and on your birthday.  A lot of rewards programs are BS and more like rebates, but this one is legit.
    When will I be able to buy direct off of your site? I saw that you mentioned that it was coming a while back. I don't have an Ace in my town. I checked with the closest one and they had never heard of Rockwood. They are egg dealers, but they didn't know about your product. 

I told them to stock it and they would have a lot of customers! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • johnkitchens said: 
    For all Ace customers and future customers.....SIGN UP FOR THE REWARDS!!!!  They will mail you $5 off $15, $7 off $20, etc. quite often and on your birthday.  A lot of rewards programs are BS and more like rebates, but this one is legit.
    When will I be able to buy direct off of your site? I saw that you mentioned that it was coming a while back. I don't have an Ace in my town. I checked with the closest one and they had never heard of Rockwood. They are egg dealers, but they didn't know about your product. 

It's coming.....should debut when the new California bags are ready (by end of October).  Not sure you're going to like the price though.  We don't have anywhere near the discount on shipping that firecraft (and moreover their sister company) had with FedEx ground.  

That ace can get them, just have them run sku 8400772.  Which store is it?  Unless they're in Arizona, California, or Nevada, they can order them right now.
  • JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461
    johnkitchens said: 
    For all Ace customers and future customers.....SIGN UP FOR THE REWARDS!!!!  They will mail you $5 off $15, $7 off $20, etc. quite often and on your birthday.  A lot of rewards programs are BS and more like rebates, but this one is legit.

It's coming.....should debut when the new California bags are ready (by end of October).  Not sure you're going to like the price though.  We don't have anywhere near the discount on shipping that firecraft (and moreover their sister company) had with FedEx ground.  

That ace can get them, just have them run sku 8400772.  Which store is it?  Unless they're in Arizona, California, or Nevada, they can order them right now.
    I get that California probably has more restrictions than other states, but why Arizona and Nevada?
    Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • @stlcharcoal time to bring the drop shipping pallet deal back?!! :)
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• JNDATHP said:

I get that California probably has more restrictions than other states, but why Arizona and Nevada?
    It's just their distribution map.  California is covered by two warehouses, and one covers NV, and the other AZ.  It was just easier to wait than to try to restrict it 
  • @stlcharcoal time to bring the drop shipping pallet deal back?!! :)

If anyone is temporarily SOL because of the change over, then yeah we can do that.  You'll need a commercial address and a dock or forklift.  Otherwise residential or liftgate is going to make it too expensive.  "Hold at depot" is NOT an option either.  Once you get a location secured, use the contact form on the website and someone will let you know what the total cost will be once we can get some freight quotes.
  • GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    @stlcharcoal How many bags are on a pallet? 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    GaBGE said:
    @stlcharcoal How many bags are on a pallet? 
    30, so they double stack in the truck.
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    @stlcharcoal. Will you be in any of the Ace stores in Lex Ky. I know you're in Versailles and that's close for me but it's a bit pricey. $25
  • I snagged 2 y cables for the flameboss 300 at 6.95 each. But agreed they have changed. I haven't bought from them in a long time because of dropping everything pretty much on site. 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    GrillSgt said:
    @stlcharcoal. Will you be in any of the Ace stores in Lex Ky. I know you're in Versailles and that's close for me but it's a bit pricey. $25

They can order it, but I don't know if they're going to stock it.  It's up to each store what they stock.  I really wish Steepltons would carry it.