Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump shot

Options

Comments

• milesvdustin
    Options
    What is hazel charcoal?

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    Tell us more!
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Doesn't "lump shot" have a place in the adult film industry   ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,863
    Options
    What do you guys pay for charcoal?   I just had 15 kgs delivered for £18,  according to Google that $24.15 for 33lbs.
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,027
    Options
    Hard to tell. Is it briquettes or lump wood?
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,863
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Hard to tell. Is it briquettes or lump wood?
    Hardwood lump.
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    "Local Organic"... hmmm... in the US this term means it's not "Certified Organic" or, "Trust me, It's really Organic" ... wink wink nod nod... know what I mean?
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• Stuss
    Stuss Posts: 75
    Options
    If you are paying more than 13 to 15 bucks a bag (15 to 18 lbs) you are paying way too much….just my opinion

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    He's paying considerably less than that.
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    "Local Organic"... hmmm... in the US this term means it's not "Certified Organic" or, "Trust me, It's really Organic" ... wink wink nod nod... know what I mean?

It may have changed, but when I looked into years ago "certified organic" really only applies to food/drink, clothes, and bodily products.  There really wasn't any oversight or governing on anything else.  You want to market a pencil, smart phone, or whoopee cushion as "organic".....go ahead....no one can stop you.  Maybe they have updated it, because this whole "organic" buzz word craze kind of got out of control.  
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    But its not center cut.... ;)
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options

It may have changed, but when I looked into years ago "certified organic" really only applies to food/drink, clothes, and bodily products.  There really wasn't any oversight or governing on anything else.  You want to market a pencil, smart phone, or whoopee cushion as "organic".....go ahead....no one can stop you.  Maybe they have updated it, because this whole "organic" buzz word craze kind of got out of control.  
    My point ... in this case "Organic" really means nothing other than a feel good word on the packaging.

Jonathan, thanks for the info and education! 
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• HeavyG
    Options

My point ... in this case "Organic" really means nothing other than a feel good word on the packaging.

Jonathan, thanks for the info and education! 
    Even if following either FDA or USDA rules "organic" doesn't necessarily meet what many folks would expect from truly "organic" items. That's why some folks look for various third party certifications regarding "organic" foods.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• stlcharcoal
    Options

I was thinking about putting "dolphin friendly", "BPA free", "Conflict free", and "Non-GMO" on our bags for the same reason.  Has absolutely NOTHING to do with charcoal, but gives folks the warm and fuzzies.  
  • HeavyG
    Options

I was thinking about putting "dolphin friendly", "BPA free", "Conflict free", and "Non-GMO" on our bags for the same reason.  Has absolutely NOTHING to do with charcoal, but gives folks the warm and fuzzies.  
    Would probably help sales in Cali since you have finally decided to sell there.

I's also put "artisanal" on the bag. :)

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    HeavyG said:

@stlcharcoal - dolphin friendly would get my vote if you didn't already have it.  I don't guess that matters since I live in KY and we got no dolphins. Kinda like people from Virginia commenting about California sales.  No cards in the game but a lot of noise nonetheless.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited September 2017
    Options
    HeavyG said:

Haha.....yeah no kidding.  Probably need to take "made in Missouri" off the bags too.  :pensive:

Seriously this prop65 stuff is killer.....into it for five figures between the lawyers, six revisions on the bag artwork, printing plates, etc.  Crazy.
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • jamesj
    Options
    I found this site the other day.  It may be familiar to some of you so I apologies if so but great site so far, and very very informative.  
    This is for Lump:  http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm
    Main Site:  http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm
    Large BGE  Houston TX
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options

I've seen "Gluten Free" popping up on all sorts of food labels, you could add that for fun too.  From a can of hatch chiles:

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• VANcouverEGG
    Options
    Lump I bought visiting Bellingham. The description was a close alternative to hickory. Expensive ****. We don't have artisanal charcoal in Vancouver:). 
  • Vegas Eggus
    Options
    Hey STL Charcoal. I just called local Ace here in Vegas. They are not carrying Rockwood yet. I also looked on their website and it doesn't show up. I know you had indicated in a thread that they were expanding that distribution. 
    Do you happen to know if it would be available for order here in Nevada?  If so, any idea how to arrange?  
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Hey STL Charcoal. I just called local Ace here in Vegas. They are not carrying Rockwood yet. I also looked on their website and it doesn't show up. I know you had indicated in a thread that they were expanding that distribution. 
    Do you happen to know if it would be available for order here in Nevada?  If so, any idea how to arrange?  

NV comes out of the California warehouse, which we're not in yet.  Give it another month, it's coming!  :)
  • Vegas Eggus
    Options

NV comes out of the California warehouse, which we're not in yet.  Give it another month, it's coming!  :)
    Thanks for the update.