Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to lock up an xl egg?

Options
2»

Comments

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    I doubt anyone would take it.  Just have it in a highly immobile position and get one of those .357 Magnum stickers to put in your alleyway.   
    And own one or two. 
    GLOCK 17 and .357 Magnum.  Absolutley positively scares the crap out of the bad guys!
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I doubt anyone would take it.  Just have it in a highly immobile position and get one of those .357 Magnum stickers to put in your alleyway.   
    That makes them break into your house when you aren't home to steal your gun.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• SmokingPiney
    Options
    200 plus pounds - not an easy mark for a casual thief to walk off with.......
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Upgrade to a XXL. Ain't no way they walk off with a 425# egg. I still haven't figured out how to get it from my garage to my back yard when the patio is finished...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Keep it out of site is the best way. There have been several posts in the past about eggs being stolen and pretty sure one was atleast a large if not an XL. People know what kamado s are now they are everywhere I would be cautious. Locking it up doesn't really help a small bolt cutter solves that. And as far as weight I am only 6' and 200lbs and loosening 1 bolt I could have it off your patio and in the back of a truck by myself in under 5 minutes. Your plant idea is good or if you can put a fence up they average around $15 a foot so if you only need a small section to seal off your area it might be worth it.
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    I U locked our nest to the deck railing — won’t keep someone from picking it up, but they’ll probably break it if they do and keeps the drunk frat crowd in the neighborhood from wheeling it down the street for fun. Some of my neighbors find random rocking chairs on their porches from blocks away sometimes...
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,863
    Options
    Hide in plain sight is my advice.   Thieves steal what they see, so I would suggest a second hand children's play-house or an old dog kennel with the floor cut-out.  Put that over the top when not Egg-ing.   My daughter's garden play-house was very light plastic with clip together corners.
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    That makes them break into your house when you aren't home to steal your gun.
    My buddy is a retired detective.  He told me the best deterrents are 1) a radio on so they Think someone is home 2) a dog that barks 3) good lighting and auto dimmers and 4) anything that indicates to a theif that he's not going to have an easy time if he breaks into your house such as a warning sign regarding a weapon, security system and cameras