Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First cook an unqualified success

Options
SmartyPantz
SmartyPantz Posts: 145
edited September 2017 in EggHead Forum
'Sup eggheads! I'm posting the pics from my very first cook on my XL BGE.  Went for a spatchcock chicken, acorn squash AND a ribeye steak.  Beer of choice was Superb IPA from our lcoal brewery Alewerks in my USS Iwo Jima mug. ('Merica)  For prep I rubbed the chix with Cavenders Greek Seasoning (I swear by it) and couldn't resist a sprinkle of Dizzy Dust. Cooked direct at 275 for 2 hours.  Then my baby was just screaming for it, so I took the chix off, cranked that biotch up to 700 and then did 5 min a side.  Steak was rubbed generously with Dizzy Pig Cow Lick Steak rub.  Best steak I've ever made. Hands down.  Chicken was awesome! Squash was best my wife has ever had, with a subtle smokey flavor. (They were on the whole time, Eben with the steak). Cheers to you nutz! Glad to be here. Happy Friday to you all. P.S. Thanks Johnny P for EVERYTHING!
When do y'all teach me the secret handshake?
XL BGE, 36" Blackstone, and a Wah Wah pedal
Williamsburg, VA

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    That is quite an intro post.  Congrats across the board.   Strong start for sure.
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.  
    And Friday night can have a life of its own around here.  Just sayin'
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Brad!  It took some time, but welcome to the party. 

The first cook looks like a hell of a meal.  Welcome and enjoy the journey. 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Looks like we got us lead off hitter here. Nice job there on the bird and brew.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Welcome... nice cook!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • jdkeithbge
    Options
    This cook goes to 11!  Nice job, and great avatar.  Welcome aboard.
    XL BGE, CGS AR & spider, 36" SS Blackstone, SMOBOT - Flower Mound, TX
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Nominated for best first cook of the year. Awesome work. You sure can tell the difference between people that have developed some serious skills on a kettle or such and those whose first real charcoal experience is on the egg. You were in complete control. I'm not knocking those that have been converted from the gasser, just following a different path to the same heaven. Well done sir. 
  • Rte1985
    Rte1985 Posts: 304
    Options
    Well played sir!  Great post,cook and pics! Welcome also
  • SmartyPantz
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    Nominated for best first cook of the year. Awesome work. You sure can tell the difference between people that have developed some serious skills on a kettle or such and those whose first real charcoal experience is on the egg. You were in complete control. I'm not knocking those that have been converted from the gasser, just following a different path to the same heaven. Well done sir. 
    My kettle never made it to 700 degrees! WOW! Made all the difference.  And thanks
    When do y'all teach me the secret handshake?
    XL BGE, 36" Blackstone, and a Wah Wah pedal
    Williamsburg, VA
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Way to jump in with both feet! JohnnyP will be a great influence. Nice looking meal right there. Welcome to the chaos!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Welcome! Awesome first post!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    That's a awesome first cook. Good work. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Woodchunk
    Options
    Nice Pantz

eggcellent
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Smokin' grass and kickin' ass!  Nicely done!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • MrA46221
    Options
  • CigarCityEgger
    Options
    Great post, looks like you nailed the inaugural cook. Beer looks good too!
  • havertyj
    Options
    Very nice first cook! Curious, did you do any slow cooks under 350? I recently bought my BGE and I was told to keep the first 4 - 6 cooks under 350. Recently went above that to grill steaks at my fifth cook.

Looks like a nice start to the grilling experience for you!

♦︎ John ♦︎ Large BGE ♦︎ Topeka, KS ♦︎ My Blog ♦︎
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Welcome to the playground.
    Strong post, food looks great man.
    Enjoy the Green Egg high.  B)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    I like, now get her dirty

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.