Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Almonds

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've had smoked almonds off the Egg before courtesy of WessB. I would love to have something like this around the house for the fall. I was wondering if anyone else had recipes/methods for smoking nuts on the Egg. Particularly honey roasts or sugar coated, etc.

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    JoNuggs,
    You can find my almond cook in the cooks section of my website, if you haven`t already....as far as the other coatings, I have never done any other but would certainly like to try honey roasted or sugar coating....Hope someone with experience chimes in here...[p]Wess

[ul][li]WessB`s[/ul]
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    JoNuggs,[p]Here's a link to a recipe I like. Have fun![p]Tonia
    :~)

[ul][li]Honey Roasted Almonds[/ul]
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    JoNuggs,[p]Here are recipes for both hot and sweet nuts. You have to keep an eye on the sweet ones due to the amount of sugar. I like the egg white and water binder the best for both.[p]~thirdeye~[p]Chile nuts[p]Binders:
    2 Tbsp. Garlic Vinaigrette (or garlic olive oil)
    OR USE
    1 egg white + 1t of water[p]Nuts
    2 Cups peanuts
    1 1/2 Cups Pecan halves
    1/4 Cup roasted sunflower seeds
    (Other nuts work well too)
    2 Tsp. chili powder
    1 Tbsp. lemon juice
    2 Tsp. ground cumin
    2 tsp. red pepper flakes[p]If you are not partial to all of the chili seasonings, cut back and use some rub.[p]Using a indirect setup and a dome temp of 300°:
    Put peanuts, pecans, and sunflower seeds in bowl. Add additional ingredients and mix, coating all the nuts well. Spread onto single layer on baking sheet or pizza pan. Smoke lightly for 30-40 minutes, flipping nuts halfway through.[p]
    D*MN GOOD PECANS[p]1 pound large pecan halves
    1 egg white
    1 teaspoon cold water
    1 cup sugar
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1 teaspoon salt[p]Beat water and egg white until frothy. Mix well with pecans. Combine sugar, cinnamon and salt. Mix well with pecans. Spread on a large cookie sheet.
    OVEN: Bake for 225 degrees for about 1 hour or to your liking. Stir occasionally.
    BGE: Use an indirect setup with a dome temp of 300° until done to your liking. Stir occasionally. Smoke is optional due to the sweetness of the nuts.[p]With either method, keep a close eye on the color, stickiness and bottom burning of the nuts after 30 minutes. Sample every few minutes until done to your liking as the sugar is not as forgiving as just straight spices.[p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • chuckls
    chuckls Posts: 399
    Options
    almonds.jpg
    <p />JoNuggs,[p]Follow the link to the recipe..
    cookinalmonds.jpg
    packaged.jpg[p]Chuck

[ul][li]Chuckls' Sweet and Spicy Smoked Almonds[/ul]
  • Thanks for all the suggestions guys!