Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quick Question about Adjustable Rig

Options
I have done a considerable amount of reading on this forum about the AR and I just want to make sure I have things figured out before I pull the trigger.

If I purchase the Large AR R&B Oval Combo and get the rib video grate along with it +  purchase a spider and a 13in ceramic stone, will I be able to set up a three grate cooking situation?

I called the store today and Tom wasn't available, I spoke with Teri and she was helpful, I just want to make sure I have everything sorted out before making the purchase.

Thanks for all of your help and this forum has been a lot of fun to read over the last few months.

Comments

• coomdaddy
    Options
    Don't believe you can get three grates with just that setup.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    You probably want the extender.
    NOLA
  • Sundazes
    Options
    You will need the extender and grate that fits it.
  • girbim
    Options
    I have the oval stone for mine with the extender and an additional oval grate.  I use it most of the time.  Three grates with that setup would not work very well.   You would need the extender for your setup as others have stated.
    Large BGE

Minneapolis, MN
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Get a spare set of crossbars while you are ordering...  those things disappear like socks in the wash.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • prodjoe
    Options
    Thanks for the information everyone.  Placing the order this morning.
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    The extender is awesome great for pizza high in the dome. I love it. 6 racks of ribs easily fits.  

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• drumdudeguy
    drumdudeguy Posts: 165
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I have another question. I already have the Large AR R&B Oval Combo. The AR is very high in the dome. I've had trouble with the thermometer not registering properly when I cook on the top rack because it makes contact with the food. I don't cook large portions so I don't need extra space. That's why I have not purchased the extender. To those who use the extender, what do you do about the dome thermometer making contact with the food?
    Charlotte NC - Large Big Green Egg (2009) w/Nest and Handler
    Accessories: PSWoo, Woo, Adjustable Rig, Smokeware Cap and Temperature Gauge
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    Try and call Tom again.  Perhaps he's available today...

@tjv
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    @drumdudeguy - remove the clip from the thermo and use it as a spacer on the outside of the dome or insert your dome thermo thru a wine cork on the outside of the dome.  That way the thermo has additional spacing and will not be imapled on the food should it come in contact.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    You can give me a call. If I am not around, leave a message and I'll call back.  As it looks, I should be here most of the day.

Three grids on the Rig is easy to do, but what we find is most folks do not have a real need for it.  Folks new to the egg, think it's necessary, but after a chat, we usually talk them out of it and save 'em some cash.  Can always add a couple pieces to the Rig and get it later.......

here is a picture of the thermometer fix.

t  
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    prodjoe

what is it that you want to cook on three levels, theres usually simple options for alot of food as 30 chicken wings cooked in a basket on a mini. 3 levels would be a pain for any cook. ive done three levels with 2 brisket flats and 2 butts all at once for the rare event, just used basic grids and fire bricks and decided not to rotate a thing, worked fine but thats the only three tier cook ive ever wanted to do. more than a couple racks of ribs and its just easier to use a rib rack
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    I use the adj rig, two oval grids, the extender and round grate up top with spider and stone to get three levels....although the last time i did this i think i may have just used the stock bge grid in the basement.  I do know that two oval grids spaced just right with rig extender and round grip up top works well