Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cryo Belly Smell

Bare with me. I know. Generally there's a smell associated with cryo pork. Honestly I never want paid much attention to it as I can't always smell things. I do recall on occasion smelling it tho. 

My situation is this. Bought a belly and it sat in my fridge in the cryo for four days. Didn't pay attention to the date on package tho. Pulled it out and mixed up some Rhulman cure but omitted the sugar (initially). Based on some literature here and other BBQ sites I decided on 3% by weight (used a scale) plus half that in brown sugar as I wanted a neutral taste to see what I was working with. 

Put it it all on the belly. I was a little concerned that it wasn't enough rub to cover it all but didn't want to add more cure. So I went with it. In for 6 days. 

When i I first opened the cryo it smelled... different. Stronger than what I was used to but not like a rotting piece of meat (or chicken scraps left in the trash too long). Washed dried and let it set for a few minutes. Smell didn't get better or worse. And it's not real strong. Have to be right over it to pick up anything. 

Fast forward and pulled it out it out of the cure, washed off. Smell still there. Exactly the same strength. Decided to smoke it anyway cause I can throw it out later too. Finished with the smoke and smell is still the same!!

going to pull it out of the fridge to slice after work. Any thoughts or comments on it? I don't mind pitching but I would like to learn if it's truly bad or what. If smell is still there I'm going to fry a piece and see what happens with the smell and more than likely pitch it anyway. 

Also so does anyone see anywhere I messed up with my steps above? Cure amounts etc?
Large BGE in Moore, OK

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    I would give it to the guy at work you have issues with. If it's good, he'll think "hey, this guy ain't so bad" if it's not....

jkoc. Not my area of expertise at all , but error on the side of caution. Good luck!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    i wouldnt worry about it =) but then again i fed the dog some lamb off my plate this weekend and he got sick that night and again in the boat. =) i smell that light cryo smell even if its wrapped in butcher paper a couple days, not worried about that at all if the cryo looks intact and tight
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • maso
    maso Posts: 240
    Package looked good and no discoloration on the meat. Just that dang smell. 

But hell I did toss a $70 Brisket when my fire died out and I couldn't put a timeline on an overnight cook. It was going to feed two pregnant ladies so I took zero risk on that one. What's a $25 belly anyway. 
    Large BGE in Moore, OK
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    maso said:
    Package looked good and no discoloration on the meat. Just that dang smell. 

But hell I did toss a $70 Brisket when my fire died out and I couldn't put a timeline on an overnight cook. It was going to feed two pregnant ladies so I took zero risk on that one. What's a $25 belly anyway. 
    I would rather be a safe idiot that a sick smart guy. No matter what the cost. You are prolly just fine, but unless I was properly educated on the subject prior to the entire incident so I could properly analyze it, I would likely cut my losses. But hey, that's just me. Good luck. 
  • maso
    edited September 2017
    I hear you there @pgprescott and that's what I'll end up doing I'm sure. But seems like a good opportunity to science! Haha. I think I might try the salt box method I've seen mentioned on here next time. 

Can anyone on here who has done this before (home curing a belly) post a pic of the belly with cure on it so that I can see the coverage? Mine ended up not being as covered as I would've guessed it should have been. Certianly not like I use rubs normally. Maybe I just coat it too much with my normal rubs?
    Large BGE in Moore, OK
  • MattBTI
    MattBTI Posts: 417
    I go 5% by weight. 6 days on most "commercial" bellies. at least 7 on farm raised. I've had commercial bellies that usually weigh 12-14 lbs. The farm ones I get usually come in a 20lbs! Much thicker. 

I don't have any pictures of cure on the belly. I've done 50 lbs this month lol!

It doesn't seem like a whole lot, I agree. Were you getting a decent amount of liquid to draw out of the protein? I would say a 4-5 lb I usually end up dumping maybe 1/2-2/3 cup of liquid out of the ziploc after the curing process. 
    Pratt, KS
  • maso
    @MattBTI I got some liquid but more like tablespoons not enough to measure in cups (or fractions). Oh maybe three or four at most (which I realize is 1/4 cup). Maybe two. I didn't really pay attention to that honestly. 

Do do you miss the sugar in and then do 5% by weight? I guess I could do the math to figure out if 3% no sugar is appropriate. 
    Large BGE in Moore, OK
  • maso
    So it looks like the mix without sugar ought to be 3.5% but i don't know how much that extra half % would matter? 
    Large BGE in Moore, OK
  • MattBTI
    Not sure on that. I do use the recommended amount of sugar. I premix all mine. I've found that I like the original recipe. So I've never tinkered with it I've noticed an odor but only when the belly is fresh out of the bag. Never noticed anything post cure. I just put mine on the smoker. I'll take a pic of a bag. 
    Pratt, KS
  • maso
    @MattBTI I appreciate your help! I wanted to try a "neutral" belly this time around, so I used brown sugar at half weight of the amount of cure mix (no sugar). I did make a batch of the mix as well, and stored it in a mason jar. I figured this way, i could play with different sugars (honey, molasses, brown sugar, maple syrup come to mind). 

I did mark it all up in Excel and the mix with salt and #1 prague only is 3.46% by weight. I will adjust for that next round. Maybe that would change the liquid content. I didn't get the amount you did there, maybe half that. 

I did however have my very skeptical (and quite beautiful!) wife take a whiff of the bacon this evening. She said, smells like pork to me. I rolled the die and fried up a piece. Not sure what it matters, but there was no smell other than cooked bacon. Here's hoping!
    Large BGE in Moore, OK
  • MattBTI
    Good deal! Glad it worked out. 
    Pratt, KS