Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flameboss question

Options
BGE all set up and dialed in with FB300 @250.
So I throw 2 racks of ribs and a small pork shoulder on. Cold meat drops temp, kicks fan to 100%...the smoke is crazy now when it was all good smelling and ready. So is there a setting I need to do or just let it run wide open with the billowing smoke from 185 back to 250? I turned the pit temp down to 225 for now so it would only blow at 30 or so %.

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I think you did perfect...
    after you hit 225 and it holds for a bit start bumping back to 250. It might run by 225 a little. Where ever it stops, bump it up from there.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • clifkincaid
    Options
    And that is exactly what i did. I went 225,235,245 then 250. 
  • Surge
    Surge Posts: 56
    Options
    I think that is unnecessary. The temp dropped because you added cold meat. If it was set to 250 and had reached that point, no need to lower it to 225. Just put the meat on and wait. 
    Large Egg
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Surge said:
    I think that is unnecessary. The temp dropped because you added cold meat. If it was set to 250 and had reached that point, no need to lower it to 225. Just put the meat on and wait. 
    If I were not using a auto temp controler I would do as you said, and wait.
    The controller will over stoke the fire after adding a bunch of cold meat. Then it will have to choke/starve the fire to bring it back down.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Surge said:
    If I were not using a auto temp controler I would do as you said, and wait.
    The controller will over stoke the fire after adding a bunch of cold meat. Then it will have to choke/starve the fire to bring it back down.
    I've never had that problem when using my flameboss. It hasn't over shot yet.