Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Myron Mixon BBQ class

Would you pay $275 to attend a Myron Mixon class? Just saw a grill store in Raleigh NC advertise this.

Comments

• That is pretty cheap. That must not be his class in Unadilla. It goes for around $700 or so. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • kjs
    kjs Posts: 111
    To each his own I guess.
  • Is this for a class at the store Raleigh? 

• I probably wouldn't pay that much for it, but it may be worthwhile. Are you going?

• kjs
    No, I have sticker shock. I have a wish list of goodies from CGS. I'd rather make that purchase, use this forum, the inter webs, and my local free public library before paying that for a class. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    It just depends on your skill set as well. $275 isn't much to shorten your learning curve. 
  • It just depends on your skill set as well. $275 isn't much to shorten your learning curve. 
    Michael is right. If you are a complete newbie it would probably be worth it, but if you are already comfortable with your skills then I would skip it. 

• cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    Ive read that even the 700 one is well worth it. And this is from guys who know how to que already. That said, i personally wouldn't do it though. 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited September 2017

@Botch just posted that he uses lighter fluid.  As eggers, doesn't that make him our sworn enemy? (Myron, not Botch)

Phoenix 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    There's nothing wrong with using lighter fluid in a stick burner...it's long gone by the time you put food on.

Where you don't light all the lump/charcoal/wood, it can contaminate the food.

Myron makes butt rub, so he's ok in my book.  I wouldn't pay money to take a BBQ class, even when I was a neophyte.  You can learn by reading, doing, trial and error.  And youtube ;)
    Mixon was a judge on a cooking show (episode filmed near me) and one lady had borrowed a few XL BGEs. He claimed he could taste lighter fluid in her food and scoffed at the use of lighter fluid on any grill. She did not use any lighter fluid but she found out that the person she borrowed the eggs from had before. So I was a little surprised when it was reported that Mixon uses lighter fluid.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

I was merely stirring ths pot.  I don't have an opinion on the man.  Maybe i will once i get around to reading his book.  It's been sitting on my shelf for a good 6 months now.

Phoenix 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Myron makes butt rub, so he's ok in my book...
    That's Bad Byron, not Mad Myron. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Myron makes butt rub, so he's ok in my book...
    That's Bad Byron, not Mad Myron. 
    My bad!  I should know this, my buddy who does the Gumbo at Brisket Camp knows Byron and I've had some Butt Rub find its way to me...
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    kjs said:
    Would you pay $275 to attend a Myron Mixon class? Just saw a grill store in Raleigh NC advertise this.
    @SoCalTim   ???
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • kjs
    $365 for the VIP treatment.
  • I have his book to read and as far as classes I can come on here two three times a day and learn all kinds of things about BBQ.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    GaryLange said:
    I have his book to read and as far as classes I can come on here two three times a day and learn all kinds of things about BBQ.
    Certainly we can learn a lot via forums, YouTube videos, cookbooks, friends/neighbors, etc. but it is often very useful to have actual hands on experience with a knowledgeable and experienced teacher who can really show and guide you in some techniques and to have an actual finished product that you can smell, feel, taste what a properly done piece of "x" should be like when done by/with an award winning champion.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    SSQUAL612 said:
    kjs said:
    @SoCalTim   ???
    Yes! I absolutely would, thing is I don't have any real time off til next spring.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • SoCalTim
    GaryLange said:
    I have his book to read and as far as classes I can come on here two three times a day and learn all kinds of things about BBQ.
    Gary, while that's fine, a book can only take you so far. There's lotsa tips tricks and shortcuts you can only get from an experienced seasoned pitmaster that you might not get in a book

I took Harry Soo's class twice, I learned what to look for in proper bark formation, I learned about the 'scratch' test and what it feels like.

I learned what I was putting too much rubs on certain meats and not enough on others

Books are great (and I use them all the time) but there's something about learning from and talking to a seasoned pitmaster who can cut years off your learning curve.

Good luck on your bbq journey my friend ~ Tim
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    I would be hard pressed to pay for a class with Mixon. Now I probably would pay for a Harry Soo class.
    Mixon is undoubtedly a successful BBQ guy, but I find him offensive. I've read that his TV persona is not anything like his off screen demeanor, but it's hard for me to get past the first impression.    
  • SoCalTim
    GregW said:
    I would be hard pressed to pay for a class with Mixon. Now I probably would pay for a Harry Soo class.
    Mixon is undoubtedly a successful BBQ guy, but I find him offensive. I've read that his TV persona is not anything like his off screen demeanor, but it's hard for me to get past the first impression.    
    It's funny you should mention his tv persona. Harry did mention he is not as he cones off on tv, abrasive and cocky, but rather a very humble polite man of the South.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    SoCalTim said:
    GregW said:
    It's funny you should mention his tv persona. Harry did mention he is not as he cones off on tv, abrasive and cocky, but rather a very humble polite man of the South.
    Especially when you're paying him 
  • GregW said:
    This ^^^^^^
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim said:
    GregW said:
    Especially when you're paying him 
    Tomato / Tomatoe
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    GregW said:

I had a similar frame of mind too.  Then one weekend we went to a local bbq competition.  After is was winding down, he was standing out front of his booth, just by himself.  I was watching him, and so were the little ones with me, I'm not one to pester popular people.  He noticed us and called us over.  We chatted for about 10 min.  He was very cool and down to earth, really nice to the girls too.  Really suprised me.  He wanted to take a photo with us.  One of those moments where I was reminded my first impression could be wrong.
    Apollo Beach, FL
  • A friend of mine who has an egg took his class a few years ago.  Said it was awesome and learned a ton. Said his persona on the tv is all an act. Said he was down to earth and pretty nice guy. 
  • SoCalTim
    steel_egg said:
    A friend of mine who has an egg took his class a few years ago.  Said it was awesome and learned a ton. Said his persona on the tv is all an act. Said he was down to earth and pretty nice guy. 
    Shhhhhh! @steel_egg  & @Wardster  These guys don't want to hear that! lol