Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Stone Gets Too Hot

When I make pizza using a BGE pizza stone and deflector plate, the bottom of the pizza burns before the top of the pizza is fully cooked with a nice char on the edge of the dough.  What would you think about my placing the pizza stone on top of some bricks (instead of on top of the grate as I am currently doing) as this should surely reduce the temperature of the pizza stone somewhat??  BTW - the temperature on my grill thermometer (I think it is a Smokeware brand) reads 600-650 but I suspect the BGE might be hotter than that.  Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    When I make pizza using a BGE pizza stone and deflector plate, the bottom of the pizza burns before the top of the pizza is fully cooked with a nice char on the edge of the dough.  What would you think about my placing the pizza stone on top of some bricks (instead of on top of the grate as I am currently doing) as this should surely reduce the temperature of the pizza stone somewhat??  BTW - the temperature on my grill thermometer (I think it is a Smokeware brand) reads 600-650 but I suspect the BGE might be hotter than that.  Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.
    To make sure your thermo is accurate, test it in boiling water.  It should read 212 deg, if not, adjust.  If not adjustable, call smokeware and they will send you a new one.

Search the forum for pizza setups.  There is a TON of info here related to this topic.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Plate setter legs down. Put spacers between plate setter and stone. Aluminum foil balls, cooper tubing or clay planter legs work fine. There can be a significant difference between dome temperature and stone level. You want to watch stone level temperature. Try 550 degrees for 7-10 minutes. My only other thought is there are too many toppings. 
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932

As said above, providing a gap between your stone and platesetter is crucial.  I wouldn't necessarily use a brick(s) because that is still a large surface area for conduction.  grab a few stainless steel nuts from the local hardware store

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • What kind of dough are you working with?
  • I encountered the same problem. After reading up on it I cook with platesetter legs up, then grate, then 3 fire bricks arranged in a triangle (for stability) and then my stone. I also cook at 550-600 degrees. Having the stone about 3" above the felt line seemed to get my top crispier and kept my bottom crust from getting toward burnt. 
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814

Cooking height - The key is to get the stone close enough to the dome to get the right amount of radiant heat coming off the dome. If the stone is too far from the dome, the toppings will not be done by the time the dough is cooked. If the stone is too close to the dome, the toppings will burn by the time the dough is cooked. The proper height will depend on the dough recipe, cooking temp, dough thickness, and amount of toppings. Many find the sweet spot to have the stone 2-3" above the felt line - but remember you will need to dial it in for yourself. We all make our pizzas a little different so take all the advice as a starting point and make adjustments for your personal style.

What would you think about my placing the pizza stone on top of some bricks (instead of on top of the grate as I am currently doing) as this should surely reduce the temperature of the pizza stone somewhat?

Good idea.  Stone temp will not necessarily be reduced but the pizza will get more radiant heat from the dome.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    kl8ton said:
    To make sure your thermo is accurate, test it in boiling water.  It should read 212 deg, if not, adjust.  If not adjustable, call smokeware and they will send you a new one.

Don't know where the OP is located but subtract 1F for every 500ft of elevation. 
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,110
    edited September 2017
    Last time I made pizzas was my first actual success at it- all around.

I did Platesetter Legs Up, Grid, then my CGS Stone on top of Grid.  I ran the cook at ~450.

I use these Grill Mats to put pizza on while making it, then after a few minutes slide off and put the pizza directly on stone.
    https://www.amazon.com/Onh-Non-Stick-Grills-Charcoal-Electric/dp/B01D4GGJJW/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1504710947&sr=8-12&keywords=bbq+grid+mat
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • lbbf
    lbbf Posts: 33
    I find 500 by the dome thermometer is the right temp for me. Plate setter legs down, wok ring, grate, pizza stone. Takes about 9 min for everything to be cooked perfectly. I start looking down the top hole at around 7 min to be sure.
  • Find you a pizza joint who makes atrisan (sp :)) style dough fresh daily and buy it from them. You have to make sure you're not cooking w/ american style dough, if you are, dont plan to cook it over about 400. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Put some aluminum foil under your pizza stone.  It will act as a radiant barrier and lower the temp of the stone significantly.  Next question.
    I've had better results with dough that does not contain any sugar. 
    Pratt, KS
  • I had the same problem for years.. After much R&D heres the solution I've come up with. 

Legs up plate setter with 1 fire brick in the front plate setter "slot" with the grill grate resting on top of the legs, I then put the pizza stone on the grate. I use Parchment paper under the pizza and right before I place the pizza on the stone I wipe it with a slightly damp cloth (not wet.. this is very important). Once the top is almost done cooking I pull the parchment paper from the bottom of the pizza to brown the crust (my wife likes hers extra crispy, so I leave hers on until it's almost burnt). I also will rotate the pizza after looking at the bottom of the crust to even out the hot spots. 

I let my grill warm up for about an hour so that the dome really radiates on the toppings. Also when I cook Pizza I usually cook 5-7 pizzas. 

• unoriginalusername
    unoriginalusername Posts: 1,063
    edited September 2017
    I like my dome 800-900 which is too hot for the bottom of the pizza as well. So I have a rag in a bowl of water and I wipe the stone down to cool it before putting on the pizza. This gets me perfect crust and broiled toppings in about a minute and a half. 

I have a raised grill and put the stone on that. Plate setter in as well 
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    I use PLS-LU, grate, fire bricks, pizza stone, preheat ~45 minutes. cooking at 600-650 for 3-5 minutes. make sure the dough can handle high heat.
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Take the guess work out of it and get an infrared thermometer.    Just point it at the stone - I do a few pizzas a week and it's not uncommon for the stone to be 200 degrees below,  100 degrees above,  etc whatever the dome gauge says. 

I wait for around 575 when I use caputo 00, and about 525 if I get publix dough.

Good luck! 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • GoooDawgs said:
    Take the guess work out of it and get an infrared thermometer.    Just point it at the stone - I do a few pizzas a week and it's not uncommon for the stone to be 200 degrees below,  100 degrees above,  etc whatever the dome gauge says. 

I wait for around 575 when I use caputo 00, and about 525 if I get publix dough.

Good luck! 
    525 stone temp or dome?
  • Rte1985
    Rte1985 Posts: 304
    I do direct.  But I have the extender for my woo which puts my stone up in the dome.  Cook around 500-550 dome temp. Pies take about 7-12 minutes.
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    @Gallowayja I go by stone temp.  Typically whens the stones hot enough the dome will be around 600+, but again always take the stone temp.  
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300