Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flame Boss problems

Options
SPRIGS
SPRIGS Posts: 482
edited September 2017 in EggHead Forum
Made beef ribs today.  Started lump by lighting a tennis ball size in the middle.  Hooked up the Flame Boss and set it for 225 as it generally overshoots.  My target temp was 250.

Checked  it in an hour and it was at 240. Put meat on, set FB to 250 and made sure the daisy wheel was just barely cracked opened.

My beef ribs generally take 6-7 hours at 250. I checked them at the 3 hour mark to spin the grate so the front rib was now in the back.  Temp had creaped to 280. Checked them at 4 hours and the pit temp was 350.

I have no clue what caused the 100 degree overshoot.  Perhaps I lit too much lump initially but I don't think I lit any more than I ever do.

You guys ever have it overshoot this much?  Any thoughts as to the cause?

By the way - the ribs were over cooked.  I went to check them and they were reading 210-212 internal.  Oh well.
XL BGE

Comments

• stlcharcoal
    Options
    Do you have a crack in the base??
  • TN_Sister_State
    Options
    I've used mine about 50 times now and never had this issue.
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I would also check for gap in gasket between base and dome. If the FB fan was not pumping in air, you have to much natural air flow stoking the fire. Dollar bill test your gasket. To much air gap around Daisy Wheel and dome flute. Poor fit of fan and lower vent.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,733
    edited September 2017
    Options
    What temp did the FB pit probe show? 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    Unfortunately with the flame boss you can not damp down the amount of air that comes into the bottom so you have to make sure you control the air that is leaving through the top. You will just have to fiddle with the settings until you learn to dial it in on your setup. 
  • SPRIGS
    Options
    The FB probe showed 350.  I have used the FB probably 100 times a never had that problem.  It tends to overshoot the target temp but that is why I generally have it set for 25 degrees below my target temp.  

I'll for cracks and the dollar bill test.
    XL BGE
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,733
    Options
    Unfortunately with the flame boss you can not damp down the amount of air that comes into the bottom so you have to make sure you control the air that is leaving through the top. You will just have to fiddle with the settings until you learn to dial it in on your setup. 
    It has a variable speed fan so no need for a damper. The fan will blow at 20%, 50%, etc depending on what the controller tells it to do to maintain temp.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SPRIGS
    Options
    Cracked base.  Guess I'll be contacting the mothership tomorrow to get a new one.  Was hoping to avoid all of that but looks as though it has happened to me to.  
    XL BGE
  • Hungry Joe
    Options
    I understand that, it's like the Stoker though, fully open when the fan is not running. The CyberQ on the other hand has a damper that does make it easier to control the air going in when the fan is not running.  As long as airflow  is tight exiting it's not a problem, you are correct. It's a matter of learning how to control what you have.
  • Hungry Joe
    Options
    SPRIGS said:
    Cracked base.  Guess I'll be contacting the mothership tomorrow to get a new one.  Was hoping to avoid all of that but looks as though it has happened to me to.  

There is the problem! Good call from @stlcharcoal