Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New hinge for Large Big Green Egg

Options
drumdudeguy
drumdudeguy Posts: 165
edited August 2017 in EggHead Forum
I just "upgraded" my 2009 Large Big Green Egg with a new spring band, Smokeware Cap and Gauge, High-Que Gold Standard gasket, and a perforated intake door. The new hinge on the spring band is similar to the X-Lge Big Green Egg. They have relocated the springs to the outside of the hinge. The only downside seems to be that the dome doesn't open quite as far. It's a little harder to pour the charcoal in.
Charlotte NC - Large Big Green Egg (2009) w/Nest and Handler
Accessories: PSWoo, Woo, Adjustable Rig, Smokeware Cap and Temperature Gauge

Comments

• feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    Looks like a new grill, what is this perforated intake door you speak of?
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Welcome to the forum @drumdudeguy.  The face lift is looking fresh.

Phoenix 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Welcome brother. I can see what you mean about the opening. The smaller spread may be enough to be a dealbreaker for the new hinge for me. 
  • drumdudeguy
    edited August 2017
    Options

Also be aware, if you have the Nest Handler you will need new curved bars to attach the Handler to the Hinge. This is because the dome drops down in back. BGE sent me some for free.

• drumdudeguy
    Options
    The old girl looks like new!
  • GatoGordo
    Options
    Here's a picture of the perforated intake door I purchased on Amazon. A big improvement over the screen. Airflow seems to be improved and no sparks are escaping.
    My screen has burned through I keep meaning to replace it. The perforated version looks interesting. I did a search on Amazon, but did not find it. Could you post a link?
    LBGE, Stoker WiFi, UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Very nice. How much was your band? I almost stroked out when Roswell Hardware told me bands for my XL was $179
  • drumdudeguy
    Options
    GatoGordo said:
    Here's a picture of the perforated intake door I purchased on Amazon. A big improvement over the screen. Airflow seems to be improved and no sparks are escaping.
    My screen has burned through I keep meaning to replace it. The perforated version looks interesting. I did a search on Amazon, but did not find it. Could you post a link?
    Here's the link. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XQFV1WJ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Very nice. How much was your band? I almost stroked out when Roswell Hardware told me bands for my XL was $179
    Take a pill.  You have a Green Egg.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • drumdudeguy
    Options

My local BGE dealer didn't even know the new spring band existed. I had to order direct from the BGE Retail Sales Center in Atlanta 404-Egg-Head. The freight alone was $25. I believe the grand total including freight was $158. I really like the fact that when the dome is closed there is no tension on the springs at all. They can be removed easily. You don't have to use cable ties to hold the bands together when taking things apart. Alignment seems to be better too. Time will tell.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    I'm going to try and straighten the band. It's only got a slight twist. That's a lot of cash for a couple steel hoops. 
  • drumdudeguy
    edited September 2017
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    I'm going to try and straighten the band. It's only got a slight twist. That's a lot of cash for a couple steel hoops. 

It was a lot of money. The main reason I wanted a better spring band because I had to replace a couple of gaskets due to misalignment. And I would rather pay the money than go through those gasket replacements again. I think the old hinge was poorly designed. Just look at the new Kamado Joe air lift hinge. Why can't BGE build one like that?
  • drumdudeguy
    edited September 2017
    Options

Here's another picture of the springs on the new large spring band. Those springs can be removed easily when the dome is closed. No tension at all.

Big Green Egg does make a quality product! This Large BGE is 8 years old and the ceramic finish still looks great! This Egg is stored inside.

• GatoGordo
    Options
    GatoGordo said:
    Here's the link. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XQFV1WJ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I went ahead and ordered it. Thanks.
    LBGE, Stoker WiFi, UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Welcome brother!!  What area of Charlotte you located?
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • drumdudeguy
    Options
    Welcome brother!!  What area of Charlotte you located?
    North near Harrisburg.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Me too... I'm off Rocky River
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • CanDid
    CanDid Posts: 106
    Options
    .... Just look at the new Kamado Joe air lift hinge. Why can't BGE build one like that?
    Because that would require innovation, which can never happen in a complacent company.
    BGE XL
    NWArkansas
  • mhoutman
    Options
    Vey nice nice photos' I was just considering buying it in the Netherlands (where I live). Is the handle bar the same size as the standard (seems a tad wider ?)

This new spring design seems to solve the underbite issue, which was always my biggest concern 

The perforated intake is also an awesome idea; I think the silicon tabs will fit too ?!
    Dutch EGGhead and proud owner of a Big Green Egg Large, MiniMax and Mini
  • bigegger
    Options
    thanks for the post..i was always curious about upgrading hinges to open wider to accommodate another rack in my LBGE
    LBGE with 76" Challenger Cooking Island
  • unoriginalusername
    unoriginalusername Posts: 1,065
    edited October 2017
    Options
    My dealer replaced mine but with the same old style rather than the new one and said most people’s issues come from not installing properly. He tightened the bolts a lot more than what I had done following the instructions when I bought the egg, on his install the bolts were so tight the bands clamp right  together 

my felt got got burned while having an overbite so I just need to replace to see how it holds up or if eventually the overbite will return.

Need a a replacement intake door, thanks for the tip  
  • potameid
    potameid Posts: 5
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Late to the party here but just wanted to say “thanx” for the suggestions and confirming my suspicion that the handler I’m contemplating getting would need adapter brackets for the new hinge - and for showing what the adapter brackets LOOK like so I’ll know them when I do or don’t see them in the handler box. (At which point I’ll know to ask Bruce at HQ for them)

The perforated intake grate is a nice option too; I still have the original but this looks better.

i already had the smoke cap and I <3 it!

Your mates are interesting - are they the standard BGE wooden ones, or did you put custom cutting boards on the brackets?
    Off-grid in the Adirondacks

1 LBGE
    1 Smoky Joe
    1 Nectre Big Baker's Oven (Vermont Bun Baker XL)
    1 All-American Sun Oven
  • jkingrph
    jkingrph Posts: 3
    Options
    My BGE is about 12 years old and it was literally impossible to align the lid properly.  The new assembly lines it up perfectly.  I contacted BGE and they do not have the curved brackets for the nest handler on the web site, but Mark said to order a parts it(nuts and bolts) which was the same price and he would switch out.  I did so and ordered a new cover at the same time.   Later I found out about the rotisserie and have one of those on order from a dealer.