Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Short Ribs vs Plate Ribs Question

I've been seeing everyone cooking beef ribs and it made me crave them. I usually do Plate Ribs but was looking at the Short ribs. Do most people braise their short ribs or just let them go? When I cook my Plate ribs I usually just let them go.

Live in Austin/From Arkansas

XL BGE

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    I braise short ribs around 2 hours mid cook to help them end up more tender. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    This might help clear things up.  Beef ribs are confusing.

Cuts of short ribs

British cuts of beef, showing the various cuts of short ribs.

Short ribs, by definition, are not the entire length of rib. When the rib bone is cut into a 3-to-6-inch (7.6 to 15.2 cm) length,[9][8] left as a section of meat (a "plate") containing three or four ribs[10] or cut into individual ribs with meat attached, the short rib is known as an "English cut". They may also be known as barbecue ribs, braising ribs, or fancy cut ribs.[9] A section of short ribs from the plate (ribs six through eight, with their intercostal muscle) is known as a "short plate".[4][7] Rib short ribs are almost always sold as a plate.[3]

When the carcass is cut across the bone to create strips of meat with multiple rib bones, the short rib is known as a "flanken cut." These may also be known as crosscut ribs, Eastern European-style ribs, Hawaiian-style ribs, Jewish ribs, Korean-style ribs, or "kosher ribs".[5][9] Flanken-cut short ribs incorporate at least two rib bones, and are often no more than 1 to 2 inches (2.5 to 5.1 cm) thick.[9]

Retail meat shops often do not differentiate between short ribs which come from the brisket, chuck, plate, and rib.[5] In the United States, short ribs from the plate are generally the least expensive cut, followed by medium-priced short ribs from the brisket and chuck, and premium-priced short ribs from the rib area.[5]

Beef short ribs are the equivalent of spare ribs in pork,[10][11] with beef short ribs usually larger and meatier than pork spare ribs.[10]

"Boneless" short ribs are cut from either the chuck or plate, and consist of rib meat separated from the bone.[9] "Boneless country-style short ribs", however, are not true short ribs. They are found primarily in the United States, and are cut from the chuck eye roll (serving as a less expensive alternative to rib steak).[12]

3 bone Plate ribs are always better than the chuck short ribs IMO. If you can get both the plate ribs are so much bett
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • I did some yesterday and just let it ride at 250 for a few hours til the IT was 200ish. Turned out pretty tasty 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    all i know about plate/short ribs is that they are not created equal. these i serve med/rare. these are insane

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I am in Brent's camp on this one. He suggested these to me a long time back and they hit the mark. They stay moist and still get some bark.

Just so I don't have to fool with moving them all around a bunch I braise first for 2 hours then let them finish. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Arkysmokin
    Arkysmokin Posts: 124
    Thank you all

Live in Austin/From Arkansas

XL BGE