Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stuffed Mushroom Appetizer

Options
I've made stuffed mushrooms a hundred times in the oven, but that was before my BGE. Was going to do these for guests this weekend along with spatchcock and thought it would be a good idea to try them on the egg this time. Planned on taking more pics, but the guests arrived early so this is all I got. Turned out delicious with a hint of smoke flavor. Definitely a party favorite.

All it was, is 2 packs of baby portabella mushrooms, 1 package of cream cheese, and 1 package of hot JD sausage. Let the sausage and cheese sit out at room temp for 30-45 min and mix together in a bowl. Wash the poop off the mushrooms and pull the stems out and stuff them. Cook indirect at 350 degrees for 25-35 minutes.

After the mushrooms came off, ran the egg up to 450 degrees, threw some apple chunks in the fire and put the chicken on.

BGE XL
NWArkansas

Comments

• LDR
    LDR Posts: 414
    Options

It all looks great!!  I have a tough time trying to find a stuffed mushroom recipe I like.  I got addicted to the ones at Steak and Ale, and then all the ones around here closed.

• HellrodKC
    HellrodKC Posts: 174
    Options
    I do a pretty similar recipe, I add finely chopped garlic, some shredded cheese, and a little bit of whatever rub I felt like adding that day. I only make them with sausage when we aren't having a full meal, like for a tailgate. When I don't use the sausage, I take the removed stems, dice them up, and cook them in butter for a few minutes to soften them up, and then mix those in with the cream cheese. It's a good variation!
  • Webass
    Webass Posts: 259
    Options
    Did you mix the sausage in uncooked?  I'd think it would create some grease but it doesn't look so from your pics.  They look delicious.  Gonna be on my menu for this Saturday's football cook. 

Lenoir City, TN -  Bama fan in Tenn Vol's backyard. 

LBGE, Weber Spirit 

• CanDid
    CanDid Posts: 106
    Options
    @Webass - Yes. I've tried it the other way once before (cooked sausage first) and they turned out awful. Sausage was overcooked, texture of stuffing wasn't right, bad all around. Just make sure you raise the mushrooms off the pan during cook.
    BGE XL
    NWArkansas
  • CigarCityEgger
    Options
    Looks great, I attempted stuffed mushrooms along with some chicken at the same time. Smoke penetrated way too much for my liking on the shrooms, but I'll know differently next time.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Job well done sire.  Love stuffed shroomies from the egg.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    Options
    Like @Webass I was curious about the uncooked sausage. My family loves stuffed mushrooms so I usually throw some on when I am doing an appropriate cook. I will have to try it this way. I would guess the grease would add to the flavor. Thanks for sharing!
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options

i like to stuff them with"S-CAR-GOAT"
    http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=460522&catid=1
    Thank photobucket for ruining the pics.  won't pay the ransom, but they are great.

• The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    LDR said:

It all looks great!!  I have a tough time trying to find a stuffed mushroom recipe I like.  I got addicted to the ones at Steak and Ale, and then all the ones around here closed.

You mean something like this?
    http://www.recipelink.com/msgbrd/board_14/2006/MAY/22565.html

Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    Nice cook... someone said grease but that pork fat, it'll cure all!!

Good choice in ale as well

Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    LDR said:

Check google they have several steak and ale  shroom recipes.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    LDR said:

Ruby Tuesday use to have a killer one. I use to hit them hard at the Atlanta airport. I don't believe they offer anymore. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow