Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mission impossible - Bark

Options
Tbonez3858
Tbonez3858 Posts: 102
edited August 2017 in EggHead Forum
I've been trying to get a decent bark on my Pork shoulders and Chuck for the last two years. I feel like I've tried everything with no luck.. I've used high sugar content rubs (even added turbinado), I've let the rub "melt" in, I changed heights of my adjustable rig and temps (mostly non-turbo) of the grill and I never get a thick dark bark....I see pictures of people managing a decent bark on the BGE but I've never been able to replicate it or have seen anyone thats been able to replicate it. 

The only difference Im using from most Eggers is I dont use a place setter. I use an adjustable Woo with stone for my XL from the Ceramic BBQ store. Outside of this simple difference Im stumped why I cant get a decent bark. I foil but its usually very late in the cook and there is virtually no bark before I foil. I typically foil the last 20 degrees and in most instances dont even foil through the stall.

....I've never had this issue with any other smoker (offset/vertical) I've used. Im cooking another Chuck today with dismal bark results. I hate to be negative but are there an words of advice before I start looking at Yoder or Assassin...LOL :)

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    Options
    How much rub are you using? Do you have a pic for reference? 
  • Tbonez3858
    edited August 2017
    Options
    This time I applied yellow mustard added loads of plough boys yard bird and added Turbinado. I put one coat on let it melt in the fridge over night and then put a heaping amount before it hit the smoker. There was literally 1/8 to 1/4 inch of rub standing on top of the meat.

I've used 1/2 of the large bottle of yardbird and Im betting this Chuck is probably inedible. I simply wanted to see if I went absolutely nuts with the rub if it would help.

How are these restaurants getting a 1/8 of an inch of dark sticky bark. Its like they are adding a secret ingredient to hold the rub together (butter)

I dont have a current pic but will take one when I pull it off of the egg...
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Stop foiling.  The only reasons to foil are to accelerate cooking and/or arrest bark development.
    Options
    Also, what temp are you cooking at?  Might be too high.
    Options
    The current is set at 225 on my CyberQ....Its bounced up to 250 a couple of times but its locked in at 235 right now.

Do you really think the last 20 degrees is enough to stop a decent bark? Im not arguing because I will try ANYTHING at this point.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    He'll, now I'm thinking you should try 275.
    Options
    The current is set at 225 on my CyberQ....Its bounced up to 250 a couple of times but its locked in at 235 right now.

Do you really think the last 20 degrees is enough to stop a decent bark? Im not arguing because I will try ANYTHING at this point.
    Yes 
  • Tbonez3858
    Options

Yes 
    Interesting...I will try anything at this point so I may pick up a shoulder and give it a try tomorrow.
  • EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    Options
    I quit foiling and find I get a better bark. I think that trapping the moisture in had an effect on what I had created and prevented further bark-ing. Just my 0.02$.
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Another for the no foil.  It's the retained moisture that causes any created bark to soften.  You will see a prompt difference with skipping foil.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Tbonez3858
    Options
    It sounds like no foil is the way to go...I will try my next cook and cut out the foil.
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Stop foiling.  The only reasons to foil are to accelerate cooking and/or arrest bark development.
    Bingo!
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Tbonez3858
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Thanks for the input...No more foiling and I will update with pics on my next cook
  • Tettletime
    Options
    I like to treat my butts like ribs, meaning I wrap with brown sugar, parkay, and honey for a couple hours, then let the bark firm up uncovered for an hour at the end. I get pretty good results this way, but I like my pork sweeter than most.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    No wrap and bump your temps up to 250-275.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Dumb questions, but you are not adding any liquid to your drip pan are you?  That will kill your bark as well.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Tbonez3858
    Options
    Yes...I am adding a very thin amount of water to the drip pan. I didnt think about that moisture/steam destroying my bark....
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Yes...I am adding a very thin amount of water to the drip pan. I didnt think about that moisture/steam destroying my bark....
    Elevate your drip pan and skip the water. 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I don't foil either and always get a good bark,  I normally cook at 250.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I have never foiled and always get a good bark. Have never used mustard either (won't hurt, but it's not needed, just a waste of a good hot dog condiment =)) My usual rub is a Tbls each of sugar, brown sugar, cumin, chili pwdr, pepper, paprika and 1 tsp each of salt and cayenne. I apply it until I can no longer see the surface of the meat, but no more.

Here are a few with that rub, cooked at 250°. Plenty of bark.

And this Cuban style marinated in homemade mojo criollo instead of a rub, no sugar other than what's in orange and lemon juice. Cooked on an Akorn Jr.

As the others said, I think the foil is the answer.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    I don't slather the meat with mustard and I don't foil. I do put water or apple juice in the drip pan and have always had great bark. 255 degrees until done.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Typo - 225 degrees not 255.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    edited August 2017
    Options
    ...I see pictures of people managing a decent bark on the BGE but I've never been able to replicate it or have seen anyone thats been able to replicate it...

Like @Carolina Q's pictures above, you can find LOTS of people on this forum who have great bark smoking in the Egg.  I promise, there is hope!  :)

I get much better smoke and I think everything just goes better at 250°-275°.  Every cooker is different, and maybe for an offset smoker, etc., 200°-225° is ideal, but for me, at least, in my Medium and Large BGEs, it's really clear, everything is better, especially good smoke, if I keep the dome temp above 250°

So, agreeing with others above:

• 250°-275° dome temp.
    • DON'T foil.
    • NO water in the drip pan.
    • Several chunks of hickory or other wood as per Stike's diagram below:

• Tbonez3858
    Options
    This is great info guys! I really appreciate it.....I've got additions to make on the next cook...

Higher temp
    No water in drip pan
    Make my own rub heavier on sugar...
    No foil...

I hope I turn the corner...Im starting to doubt my BBQ skills
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Dry the meat. Pat it down with paper towels. You want to start with a dry exterior to aid in the bark development. 

That and all the other stuff people have already  mentioned.

XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Markarm4119
    Options
    If higher temps, no foil, no water in pan and no mustard rub don't work, go all creme rule with a torch ! Just kidding, drink a few more beers while egging, it makes everything better !
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • Markarm4119
    Options
    Creme brule, damn spell check !
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • georgia boy
    Options
    I continue to wonder about the drip pan with no water suggestions.

What's the theory / logic behind using a drip pan, but not putting water in it?  Aaron Franklin recommends 250F with a pan of water.  He argues that the increased humidity is necessary for the smoke compounds to adhere to the meat (and thus taste more smoky).  I'm not saying he knows everything, and obviously an offset is different from an egg, but seems like it wouldn't hurt to add water.

Previous to reading his book, I never used a drip pan at all.  I've tried using the drip pan with water, but not systematic enough to really come to a conclusion.

So, my questions, @Tbonez3858 , @Theophan , @saluki2007 , @DoubleEgger , @Carolina Q , or really anyone else that cares to answer (just directing at those that have said they use water in this thread)

a) why no water in the drip pan?  particularly given the theory that smoke needs the humidity to adhere
    b) if no water, then why use a drip pan at all?  if it's dry, the fat will just burn in the drip pan.  other than maybe ease of cleaning, is there any reason specific to the cook of the meat?

Thanks,
    MBGE, LBGE since 2009.  Georgia Born, Nashville Made.
    ig: dewsouthbbq

• DoubleEgger
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Franklin cooks on a metal offset. The water serves as a heat sink and to provide moisture in a drier environment. The eggs ceramics don't require a water pan. A raised basic drip pan is used to keep the fat dripping from sizzling on the platesetter or pan and imparting bad smoke and flavor. 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    No moisture needed in the egg... Elevated pan to keep the fat from burning. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN