Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I just purchased my second egg and I am not happy with it

Options
2»

Comments

• charliebatutis
    Options
    Rte1985 said:
    I'm a pretty gracious guy.  Just give me your new egg and I will carry the burden and pain of having mismatched eggs.  You don't even have to thank me.  That's just the type of guy I am! ;)
    Well put. 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    I still have an egg with the side mounted over-center hinges......you would lock them into place with the ash tool.  I didn't have the short lived hinge with the lock bar, but I've had the center mounted spring band hinge for the last 12-13 yrs.  I just took home a new egg from my shop with the new hinge and took me all of 3-4 times to get used to how it opens.  The lid doesn't open as much, but it tilts back a little more.  Helluva lot easier to adjust too!!!!  If it's that big of a deal, get a new spring band for the other large.
  • buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    Options
    johnkitchens said:but
    I don't have room to center the table under the window. I wish I did.

John, the egg table's finish doesn't match TV stand's....wth?
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • brock9281
    Options
    @tybenj I have an older band for large with original hinges you are wanting. Band is used but in good working condition. Let me know if you want to trade bands. I'm located in Alpharetta, GA
    Atlanta, GA
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    buzzvol said:

It does. It may not show it in the pic, but it does. You guys are f'ng with me! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Roebuck
    Roebuck Posts: 45
    Options
    tybenj said:

The large eggs now come with a hinge like the ones on the XL egg. the only reason why I didnt get an xl for my second egg was because I can not stand the hinges on them.
    @tybenj - Why don't you like the new "XL" band kit for the large? I just ordered one hoping to fix my alignment issue. If it's for matching your first - I completely understand that.

Whenever I get around to swapping them out - I'll just have a old version Large kit lying around.
    Birmingham, Ala.
  • Roebuck
    Roebuck Posts: 45
    Options
    buzzvol said:

It does. It may not show it in the pic, but it does. You guys are f'ng with me! 
    That mortar work around that vent is probably driving you nuts too!

jk - beautiful setup
    Birmingham, Ala.
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    Rte1985 said:
    I'm a pretty gracious guy.  Just give me your new egg and I will carry the burden and pain of having mismatched eggs.  You don't even have to thank me.  That's just the type of guy I am! ;)
    Beat me to it!! :)
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,747
    Options
    if this ones a match we can trade

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Biggreenpharmacist Posts: 4,341
    edited August 2017
    Options

Exactly what I was gonna say. And the chevy inside isnt center of the window, either. 
    If only I didn't need steps to get into the house. That is the only thing keeping it from being even in the window. 

Remote controls aren't aligned. You kinda suck at this OCD thing. And dont get me started on your casters pointing different directions. 

Little Rock, AR

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options

Exactly what I was gonna say. And the chevy inside isnt center of the window, either. 
    If only I didn't need steps to get into the house. That is the only thing keeping it from being even in the window. 

Remote controls aren't aligned. You kinda suck at this OCD thing. And dont get me started on your casters pointing different directions. 
    I think I am now cured. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    Options
    I think I am now cured. 
    A successful intervention is so heartwarming. 
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • tybenj
    tybenj Posts: 58
    Options
    crisis adverted. i was able to swap out the new hinge for an older one on a display egg at work. now both eggs are in their home, on the table nests, with matching thermoworks thermometers. and i just fired it up for a simple strip steak with black truffle salt, red wine workchesture, ground tyme and black pepper. the old lady is out of town so I get to sit outside and have a cigar and some four roes while I wait for the egg to come up to temp  
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    Phew. That was a close one. 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Looking better.  Are you going to fix the ceramic top?
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    if this ones a match we can trade

Now I know what you mistake for the outhouse on Taco Tuesday night.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    The lack of symmetry would keep me up at night too.
    Options
    Looking better.  Are you going to fix the ceramic top?
    damn you... now im not going to be able to sleep tonight. haha
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Why does only one of the handles have "big green egg" on it? What brand of cooker is the one on the right with the flatter ceramic top?
  • Rte1985
    Rte1985 Posts: 304
    Options
    Why does only one of the handles have "big green egg" on it? What brand of cooker is the one on the right with the flatter ceramic top?
    Someone is going to have a stroke on this thread! :s
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,037
    Options
    blasting said:

Even. It has to be even!

@johnkitchens   John, you know I've always liked your set up, but... the handle on the left is a lot redder than the deep brown one on the right.  

It's probably just me.

I didn't even make it to the eggs.  The grout line thickness variation is running me crazy.

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    edited August 2017
    Options
    RRP said:
    RRP said:
     BTW sunlight does NOT fade them since the color is fired ceramic, not paint.
    So, pigments in glaze don't fade?  

I'm not an expert, but THAT is what I have always been told.  OTOH I have some fired ceramic vases and planters which I personally made 54 years ago that have sat in direct sunlight for all these daylight years and the fired color is still vibrant! 

Besides - have you seen some of the MULTIPLE century old ceramic pieces in museums?
    You mean the ones inside the museums and out of direct sunlight?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    Looks like one has a black Smokeware thermo, and the other has a silver BGE Tel-Tru.  What's up with that??????

• tybenj
    tybenj Posts: 58
    Options
    nope, both black smokeware thermos  
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    A Tel-Tru 3" thermometer is no more expensive than the Smokeware. Made in the USA vs China.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Options
    Mikee said:
    A Tel-Tru 3" thermometer is no more expensive than the Smokeware. Made in the USA vs China.
    Tel-Tru is made in America. Rochester, NY. I just double checked my month old Tel-Tru thermometer purchase 

@Mikee Did different sized Tel-Tru thermometers get sent outside the US for manufacturing? 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • stlcharcoal
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Mikee said:

Smokeware Thermo's are made in the US......$32.95 vs. $49.95 for the Tel-Tru's from BGE.  Looks like $39.95 for their standard 3" 150-750F probe off the Tel-Tru site.

• Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    Paid $38 or $39 for the Tel-Tru 3" which included shipping from St. Louis BBQ Store.

• Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    Options
    tybenj said:
    the problem is that the eggs sit less than a foot away from each other in the same table, and the fact that they are slightly different will bring out the inner OCD in me big time! haha 

I can see me doing that too....hahaha  sell your old one and buy another new one...
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!