Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smobot Review

2»

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    Yeah, this isn't turning into one of those threads.  HeavyG, you pulled me into this thread, I gave you an honest opinion.  I give you grief occasionally over it, you respond in kind.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    HeavyG is like that guy that knows a lot about sports like he played like a machine, but when asked what position he played, crickets.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Legume said:
    Yeah, this isn't turning into one of those threads.  HeavyG, you pulled me into this thread, I gave you an honest opinion.  I give you grief occasionally over it, you respond in kind.
    I certainly understand, and I mean no offense and none is taken (on this or any topic).
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    HeavyG said:
    Legume said:
    I certainly understand, and I mean no offense and none is taken (on this or any topic).
    Yup.  And I've believed for a while that we are well beyond where you would post a cook, even if you wanted to.  It's become a game.  Dig in!
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    edited August 2017

@austinml Welcome to the party.  We're happy your here.  Post some food pics and don't worry about how they stack up.  Mine are mediocre af. 

Egg on and join in discussions.  just be aware that product endorsements are met with skepticism. 

as for the review, you're fine.  The review was fine.  Your disclaimer was fine.  This forum is pretty good at keeping spammers out (unlike the facebook page).  Everyone just wants to keep it that way.

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,166
    HeavyG said:

Your review was hardly the first time the SmoBot has been talked about here over the last couple of years. And I think it is good that one of the SmoBot creators is an active participant here willing to answers questions/concerns about his product.
    You are using active participant quite loosely. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,166
    HeavyG said:
    AustinML said:
    AustinML said:
    Coming out the gate strong with your 1st post big guy!
    Haha - thanks.  Long time lurker/moocher and I wanted to try to give something back :)
    Next time post a cook. That write up from a first time poster smells like Spam 
    Oh, I didn't realize that was an issue here ...

Oh yeah, there are a few people here who are very suspicious about people on this forum that don't post pictures of the food they cook. I'm sure there is a proper psychiatric term for that condition.

Some here are also quick to jump to wild conspiracy ideas. I'm sure there is also a proper psychiatric term for that condition.

Don't sweat it.

Your review was hardly the first time the SmoBot has been talked about here over the last couple of years. And I think it is good that one of the SmoBot creators is an active participant here willing to answers questions/concerns about his product.
    Posting a cook is a generalization statement. I don't care if it's an actual cook. Most people's first post is along the lines of "Hi, I'm new to the forum. Long time lurker. You guys are great. Here's a pic of my setup. I've cooked a butt and steaks but look foward to expanding my abilities".  Not a detailed product review that was posted on Facebook and copied to this forum complete with web links. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG said:

You are using active participant quite loosely. 
    That's fair. I should have said that "like other forum members who also have commercial products for sale he is active here in assisting members with any questions or problems they may have about said product".
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• HeavyG
    HeavyG said:
    AustinML said:
    AustinML said:
    Coming out the gate strong with your 1st post big guy!
    Haha - thanks.  Long time lurker/moocher and I wanted to try to give something back :)
    Next time post a cook. That write up from a first time poster smells like Spam 
    Oh, I didn't realize that was an issue here ...

Oh yeah, there are a few people here who are very suspicious about people on this forum that don't post pictures of the food they cook. I'm sure there is a proper psychiatric term for that condition.

Some here are also quick to jump to wild conspiracy ideas. I'm sure there is also a proper psychiatric term for that condition.

Don't sweat it.

Posting a cook is a generalization statement. I don't care if it's an actual cook. Most people's first post is along the lines of "Hi, I'm new to the forum. Long time lurker. You guys are great. Here's a pic of my setup. I've cooked a butt and steaks but look foward to expanding my abilities".  Not a detailed product review that was posted on Facebook and copied to this forum complete with web links. 
    What's ironic/funny is that with all this back and forth we're only contributing to keeping this thread alive rather than just falling quickly off the radar.

I think if this review is posted verbatim a second time under a different user account in the coming weeks then I would agree that there might be a spambot involved. :)

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,745
    I'd just like to know if the battery will work in frigid temps or if I need to plug it in?
    Stillwater, MN
  • HeavyG
    I'd just like to know if the battery will work in frigid temps or if I need to plug it in?
    Depends on how you define "frigid". All batteries will decrease in performance as they get colder. 

Around 32°F I don't worry about it. Much colder tho (getting into the teens or lower) and you may want to either run off an AC adapter or just place the battery pack near you grill where it will be warmer.

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Yes, the battery, actually 'battery pack' will work in frigid temps. The battery pack is no different than a battery that comes in a cellphone. My cellphone works in frigid temps, the Smobot will also.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • SBGonzo
    SBGonzo Posts: 137
    Thanks for the kind words, and for taking the time to make such a detailed review!
    Hi Reinhart36, any updates on the apps in development, release timeframe etc? 

Thanks 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,024
    SoCalTim said:
    Yes, the battery, actually 'battery pack' will work in frigid temps. The battery pack is no different than a battery that comes in a cellphone. My cellphone works in frigid temps, the Smobot will also.
    StillH20Egger also lives in Minnesota. My Auber controller would go haywire when left out in the Minnesota winter when plugged in. I'd have to wrap the controller in dish towels or the controller would shut off from the frigid cold. Hopefully the Smobot wouldn't have any issues but I know first hand how electronics don't like Minnesota winters 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,022
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,745
    WeberWho said:
    SoCalTim said:
    StillH20Egger also lives in Minnesota. My Auber controller would go haywire when left out in the Minnesota winter when plugged in. I'd have to wrap the controller in dish towels or the controller would shut off from the frigid cold. Hopefully the Smobot wouldn't have any issues but I know first hand how electronics don't like Minnesota winters 
    Now I'm concerned again, but thanks for chiming in with your experience. I switched to lithium ion batteries in my Maverick and have used that in slightly below zero temps with no issues, but I don't have a lot of experience with these battery packs. I suppose it's better to be safe than sorry and just run a cord and plug in for my winter time overnights.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I'm still trying to figure out how @SoCalTim knows about frigid temps. Although, Chatsworth is in fact, north of LA. Maybe it's colder in the Valley. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• HeavyG
    WeberWho said:
    SoCalTim said:
    Now I'm concerned again, but thanks for chiming in with your experience. I switched to lithium ion batteries in my Maverick and have used that in slightly below zero temps with no issues, but I don't have a lot of experience with these battery packs. I suppose it's better to be safe than sorry and just run a cord and plug in for my winter time overnights.
    Typically, USB battery packs have lithium batteries too so they would likely behave no differently from those in your Maverick.

I think if your weather is cold enough that you are concerned about the batteries and want to plug into AC the servo may be nearing the limits of its operation. 

Taking a quick look at some servo specsheets it appears that many have an operating range as low as -4°F. Given that it will be a bit warmer right at your Egg they may actually keep working at somewhat lower air temps. Perhaps some of those that have been using these for a few years can enlighten us to their winter experiences.

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    edited August 2017
    I'm still trying to figure out how @SoCalTim knows about frigid temps. Although, Chatsworth is in fact, north of LA. Maybe it's colder in the Valley. =)
    lol, good question. I took my egg & Smobot to Lake Tahoe was winter, freakin' evening temps were 5 degrees. I know 5 degrees ain't MInnesota weather, but the thing worked like a champ at that temp.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.