Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smobot Review

Options
AustinML
AustinML Posts: 15
edited August 2017 in EggHead Forum

I posted this review over on the Big Green Egg BBQers Facebook group and thought I'd post it here as well.  I included several pics at the bottom.

Full Disclaimer: I was a beta tester for Smobot. I purchased my beta unit at their suggested cost of the unit and used it regularly for several months. I worked with the two owners/developers to test new firmware/features. I then purchased a new unit through the company’s kickstarter to replace my beta unit. I am in no way paid by the company. I am a big fan of the device and use it with my BGE more often than not for cooks under 600 degrees (F). I also have never used a competing product.

Introduction: You can find out about the Smobot on their website and recently opened store here - http://www.smobot.com/. The smobot controls the temperature of your grill by adjusting a modified daisy wheel on top of the grill. Unlike some competing products, there is no fans or forced air systems to control temperature. The retail unit comes with the modified daisy wheel with motor, the control unit, and grill temperature probe, two food temperature probes, an AC adapter. Note - the pictured battery pack as only included for kickstarter backers.  Sorry for any confusion there.  The unit is powered through a micro USB connection either with the included AC adapter or a USB battery pack. Note: not all USB battery packs are compatible due to how the power can fluctuate out of various units.

Setup: Similar to other IOT (Internet Of Things) devices you may already have in your household. You essentially log a computer or phone onto the control unit’s wifi to configure it. In doing so you will connect the unit to your home wifi network to allow remote monitoring and control through http://mysmobot.smobot.com/. I use mine on my large Big Green Egg so the daisy wheel modification may be specific to my unit but I would assume it’s similar to other kamodo grills. Basically you unscrew the top of the existing daisy wheel off of it’s base and replace it with the smobot modified daisy wheel and motor. I’m relatively technically and mechanically savvy so found setup very easy but the instructions are very clear and easy to follow for just about anyone I would think.
To use on the grill, you simply place the modified daisy wheel back on top of the grill and open the bottom air intake all the way (I sometimes only open half way for low temp cooks - no reason). You then use the alligator clip to attach the temperature probe to the grill. Connect both the temp probe and the daisy wheel motor plug to the control unit. Connect power to the unit by AC adapter or USB battery pack to power the unit on. If everything is connected correctly, the daisy wheel will cycle open and closed and the screen will show the temperature of the grill probe. Obviously if you are using food probes you would connect those as well.

Use: Though I cooked dozens, if not hundreds of things on my beta unit, I wanted to cook 3-4 different types of cooks on the new unit. You can use the unit anywhere from basically as low as possible (I’ve done 185 with the beta unit just to test) up to 600. So far with the retail unit, I’ve cooked some pork butts at 250, some ribs at 250, chicken fajitas direct at 375, pizza at 450-500, and some chicken quarters indirect at 350. In all cases the temperature held rock solid at the set temp, only varying when I opened the grill to adjust or check things. Because the unit is designed to get to set temperature with very little to no overshoot, it may take a bit longer to get there then if you did it manually. I do find, I guess not surprisingly, that though it may take a little longer to get to set temp, I don’t have to fiddle with it as much to get it to hold temp. This may seem trivial and super obvious but when I have a group of people coming over for brisket or pulled pork it sure is nice to not have to worry about the grill drifting off temp or how long it will take to get stable.
While cooking, you can check progress through the mysmobot website which now auto-refreshes. You can also change the set temperature remotely through the website. One thing that is missing though coming soon is the ability to set alarms on the set temp and food probe temps. They also don’t have IOS or Android apps though those are on the roadmap as well to my understanding. To me these will be “nice to haves”. I’d be happy to update this review when those features are released.
Overall, operation of the unit is virtually silent. If you’re right next to it when the daisy wheel damper is adjusted you can hear the slight whine of the motor but that is it. It also seems to use slightly less charcoal than manual, likely due to less temperature overshoot and adjustment. I might just be really bad at manually temperature adjusting my egg though :)

Final Thoughts/“Should I buy one?”: For me, the smobot was a game changer. Bottom line, I cook more often on my egg because of it. While my wife likes to refer to it as “lazy bbq’ing”, I prefer “smart bbq’ing”. Many times I’ve been able to get the grill setup and cooking, then go run errands, take a nap, sleep through the night, etc. - all with peace of mind that my cook is going smoothly. I also like it for simple mid-temp type cooks where I can get the egg setup and lit, then go inside to prepare whatever is going on the grill, and not worry about where the egg is at or if it has overshot my desired temp. I know there are BGE folks that swear by the stability of their grill for slow and low cooking and consider temp controllers a waste. This is probably not for them. I”m at the stage in my life where I generally make “optional” purchases that make my life easier. The smobot definitely makes my life easier. I love mine and would buy another in a heartbeat.

I'm not a professional product reviewer (please hide your shock and surprise . . . ) so please let me know if you have any questions, comments, or concerns.

No automatic alt text available

Image may contain food

Image may contain 1 person food

Comments

• reinhart36
    reinhart36 Posts: 253
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words, and for taking the time to make such a detailed review!
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Coming out the gate strong with your 1st post big guy!
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • deadlyfrog
    Options
    Thanks for the review. Until they get a dedicated phone app with notification alarms, I'll pass.
  • papagriz
    Options
    Curious if they recommend a particular lighting strategy with this device. Typically, I will get the coals going with my torch in two or three places. Then I leave the top wide open until I know that the coals have caught. Then I will close the top lid but leave the daisy wheel wide open until I am 50 to 75 degrees below my target temperature. Then I put in platesetter, any other accessories I am using, and adjust the daisy wheel and then wait. Does this device allow you to skip one of these steps and be more efficient? Thank you very much for the review, by the way!
  • JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461
    Options
    This has been my limited experience. I use the side burner on my gasser to light a chimney of lump. Dump the burning lump into the egg. Open bottom vent to about half and put the smobot damper on top and let the smobot do its thing. 

For me, it takes about 45 minutes to get to temp. The time also lets the lump burn clean. I remove the PS Woo, throw in some fruitwood for smoke, replace the PS Woo and put the protein on. 

After that, I wait until my iGrill tells me I am at my desired internal temperature. 
    Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • Froman
    Froman Posts: 201
    Options
    What would you say are the pros and cons vs the forced air style controller?
  • AustinML
    Options
    Haha - thanks.  Long time lurker/moocher and I wanted to try to give something back :)
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,193
    edited August 2017
    Options
    AustinML said:
    Haha - thanks.  Long time lurker/moocher and I wanted to try to give something back :)
    Next time post a cook. That write up from a first time poster smells like Spam 
  • da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    @AustinML, Wow - serious review!  Two Questions:
    1. Sorry for the likely very dumb question, but I'm a bit confused - Is the bottom vent recommended to be set fully open regardless of the target temperature - and 100% of temp control is via the Smobot on the cap? 
    2. Looks like the motor and electronics are exposed - is it waterproof?  I egg year round in PA and a controller would be of most interest during lousy weather in addition to overnight.

Thanks again for such a detailed overview!
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • AustinML
    Options
    Froman said:
    What would you say are the pros and cons vs the forced air style controller?
    I've never used a forced air controller so take anything I say with a massive grain of salt.

Obviously noise will be better with something like a smobot - that's just simple a fan vs. no fan.  I would think fuel consumption would be better with something like a smobot but honestly, there are so many variables on how fast you burn through your charcoal that it would be really hard to definitively prove that.  I get the impression too that a smobot will have an easier time holding lower temperatures vs. a forced air system.  I've used mine as low as 185 degrees (really just to test if it could) without issue.

As for cons, I would think forced air systems would get the egg up to temperature quicker but maybe not.  I don't know how those systems handle overshoot.  As a side note, I did some ribs a while back and forgot to actually power on my smobot after I got the fire lit.  The temp quickly climbed to about 500 which of course made me panic.  However, once I powered on the smobot, it was able to get me down to 275 within about 30 minutes.  Obviously your mileage may vary here but when I used to do this manually, if I overshot that much I'd probably just shut the egg down completely, wait for the fire to go out, and start over.  Other cons?  I've heard other say the live by their dedicated phone apps and alarming systems.  Smobot doesn't have that yet but it is on their roadmap.  This has not something that is make or break for me but will definitely be a nice to have.

Hope that helps!
  • AustinML
    Options
    da87 said:
    @AustinML, Wow - serious review!  Two Questions:
    1. Sorry for the likely very dumb question, but I'm a bit confused - Is the bottom vent recommended to be set fully open regardless of the target temperature - and 100% of temp control is via the Smobot on the cap? 
    2. Looks like the motor and electronics are exposed - is it waterproof?  I egg year round in PA and a controller would be of most interest during lousy weather in addition to overnight.

Thanks again for such a detailed overview!
    1. Yes, exactly.  Sometimes for lower temp cooks I'll only open the bottom vent about half way but honestly I'm not sure it makes much of a difference.  But yes, 100% of the temp control is with the motorized daisy wheel on the cap.
    2. This is a good question and I'm not sure of the answer.  I will say, that similar to the stock cap and daisy wheel, you wouldn't want water to get in the egg during a cook.  I have cooked in full on Texas torrential downpours with the control unit in a ziploc bag and a deck umbrella over the egg with no issues (outside of getting soaked running out my back door and back).
  • AustinML
    Options
    AustinML said:
    Oh, I didn't realize that was an issue here - I just haven't seen much if any spam in my time following this forum.  I was just trying to be helpful.  I can definitely post a cook - I take pictures all the time.  But mine are soooo boring compared to all the cool stuff this group seems to cook.  Maybe I'll post next time I cook ribs as I can't seem to get those right and could use all your expertise.  I can nail a brisket pretty well these days but can't seem to get ribs right.
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    If anyone knows, I am curious to know how well the included battery pack will work in below freezing and even colder temps?
    Stillwater, MN
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    @AustinML - I mean, this could just be me, but it sure does seem very fishy (like a couple days fishy smell in the trash can out in our NC hot sun), that this really elaborate review was made, with the first post from someone, right out of the gate, and have the SMOBOT guy reply with the first comment AND just so happens this keeps getting bumped to the top?  

I dunno man... I dunno.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    @AustinML - I mean, this could just be me, but it sure does seem very fishy (like a couple days fishy smell in the trash can out in our NC hot sun), that this really elaborate review was made, with the first post from someone, right out of the gate, and have the SMOBOT guy reply with the first comment AND just so happens this keeps getting bumped to the top?  

I dunno man... I dunno.  
    That's the point I'm trying to make Matt. 
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options

I dunno man... I dunno.  
    That's the point I'm trying to make Matt. 
    **A Conspiracy?
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    As many on here already know, I'm a pretty straightforward guy and when I want to know something, I ask. 

As a beta tester for this product, did you receive a free or substantially discounted unit for your services/opinion/feedback? 

Were any social media/internet reviews part of the deal to receive the controller or be a Beta tester? I know this to be the case with products within and outside of the outdoor cooking marketplace. 

Im trying to understand why you are so compelled to push this product across multiple online platforms. 
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    You haven't seen any spam around here because nearly everyone here is respectful of the policies that BGE put forth so that we can have this free online community. 
  • papagriz
    Options
    @AustinML gives a full disclaimer at the beginning of his review. is there something specific in that disclaimer that violates the forum policies? if not, then there is really nothing to complain about. of course, evaluate his review knowing that he clearly has a relationship with the founders of the company and is a huge fan (or actually, no fan at all, right?! ha ha). anyway... i appreciate the in depth review, very helpful as i evaluate my temp control purchase decision.  
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    I agree it doesn't look good when it comes from someone who never posts on this site, but I appreciated that he lays everything out at the top of his review. He also states that he purchased one after extensive testing of the beta unit. I've seen far worse. For the record, it seems like far less ball-licking than is currently taking place over the newest Dizzy Pig rub, but of course that's another product I use and enjoy so maybe there's bias involved on my part. We're also free to not click on threads with Smobot in the title.
    Stillwater, MN
  • AustinML
    Options
    Oh wow, my apologies.  This is getting a little out of hand.  I'll just remove my post if it's going to cause so much controversy on a forum about a grill.  I was just trying to be helpful.  The last thing I want to do is cause any harm to a company and product I like.  

I tried to state this in a disclaimer but I purchased my beta unit at full cost.  I was in no way ever pressured to post anything on social media or push this product in any way, shape, or form. I have never met the two company owners and really only know them at all through a few support type e-mails and/or forum posts about their product. This is the reason I led with the disclaimer as I absolutely did not want to be taken as spam or paid advertising.

I had posted a picture of my unit on the BGE Facebook group and had many requests for a review there.  To be as fair as possible, I wrote the review there after cooking with the retail unit (vs. the beta unit) in hopes I could answer anyone's questions to help them decide to buy or not buy one.  I often look for these types of reviews before making a larger purchase.  So I was compelled to post the review on FB because it was requested there - and several people there thanked me and found it helpful. So I was then compelled to copy it here because I felt I had been a consumer of the information here for too long and wanted to try to give something back.  I am in no way, as I tried to state, a professional reviewer of any type of product.  I've attempted to answer any questions asked as honestly as possible and caveat those responses appropriately.  I'm not sure what more I can do to convince anyone otherwise.  
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    No worries. You're good. Egg on!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    Options
    Thanks for posting, wondered what this was all about. And, I got an answer on what to do with the bottom vent and pics to boot. 
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I'm sure I'll pull the trigger soon. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,353
    edited August 2017
    Options
    AustinML said:
    AustinML said:
    Oh, I didn't realize that was an issue here ...

Oh yeah, there are a few people here who are very suspicious about people on this forum that don't post pictures of the food they cook. I'm sure there is a proper psychiatric term for that condition.

Some here are also quick to jump to wild conspiracy ideas. I'm sure there is also a proper psychiatric term for that condition.

Don't sweat it.

Your review was hardly the first time the SmoBot has been talked about here over the last couple of years. And I think it is good that one of the SmoBot creators is an active participant here willing to answers questions/concerns about his product.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    @HeavyG I haven't had a diagnosis I've agreed with yet!

I just figure there are lurkers, and that's fine, and the rest of the people that post.  You share lots of opinions and info on egg and non egg topics.  Lots.  But it's an egg forum and you never share any food posts.  I guess to me, that's kind of the price of admission.  Just my opinion, which I am sharing.
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    AustinML said:
    AustinML said:
    Oh, I didn't realize that was an issue here ...

Oh yeah, there are a few people here who are very suspicious about people on this forum that don't post pictures of the food they cook. I'm sure there is a proper psychiatric term for that condition.

Some here are also quick to jump to wild conspiracy ideas. I'm sure there is also a proper psychiatric term for that condition.

Don't sweat it.

Your review was hardly the first time the SmoBot has been talked about here over the last couple of years. And I think it is good that one of the SmoBot creators is an active participant here willing to answers questions/concerns about his product.
    Nah man, I'm just a fan of "put your money where your mouth is", and that's all.  Talk is cheap.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,353
    Options
    So... @Legume / @tarheelmatt - what's the expected ratio of:

posts containing food pics : posts sans food pics

1:10? 1:100? 1:1? 10:1?

Just curious in case I decide I want to work towards becoming a 32° degree Egghead.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    So... @Legume / @tarheelmatt - what's the expected ratio of:

posts containing food pics : posts sans food pics

1:10? 1:100? 1:1? 10:1?

Just curious in case I decide I want to work towards becoming a 32° degree Egghead.

Don't over think it, just click the shutter homie. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Price of admission, to me, is helping out with questions, advice by experiences, paying it forward...which he's done, a lot.  He helped me out with a braided adapter recently for the BS.  

Everyone is entitled to use the forum as they please.  Helping others, learning, product recs, circle jerking, sharing food pics, ot pics, stirring the pot, making friends, etc etc.

His priorities seem to be in line.  To me, that's all that matters.

Take Michael's thread comments on a rub without pics for ex.

Makes one believe some have never opened a cookbook.  Now that, is concerning.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."