Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Royal Oak Made in America

Options
13»

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Focker said
    Royal oak is pretty much all I use.  The stuff is great, and I see a few rocks here and there, but I cant believe people complain about that.  I've never seen a foreign object outside of rocks.  It may have been in there, but I don't inspect it.  It eventually is all ash when I clean out the egg anyway.  I've told my wife I want to be cremated in a XXL egg when the day comes.  She has instructions to use whatever charcoal is on sale.
    Good stuff....we are cut from the same cloth.
    RO 'til I die!
    Nothing against Rockwood.
    The smell just brings me back to my first green eggin' high days, how egged food tasted egged, how it smelled different than Blue K, like the smell of lighter fluid at the campground.
    I've tried the hot flavors of the month, always come back to RO.  Cherry wood is like that for me too, just love the smell of it burning.  JD chips, chunks are a close second.

Sorry but RO sucks. Rockwood is the shiznit. Clean in 10 minutes. Last time in Salado it took forever to stop smelling like a&&

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited August 2017
    Options
    henapple said:
    Focker said
    Royal oak is pretty much all I use.  The stuff is great, and I see a few rocks here and there, but I cant believe people complain about that.  I've never seen a foreign object outside of rocks.  It may have been in there, but I don't inspect it.  It eventually is all ash when I clean out the egg anyway.  I've told my wife I want to be cremated in a XXL egg when the day comes.  She has instructions to use whatever charcoal is on sale.
    RO 'til I die!
    The smell just brings me back to my first green eggin' high days, how egged food tasted egged, how it smelled different than Blue K, like the smell of lighter fluid at the campground.
    I've tried the hot flavors of the month, always come back to RO.  Cherry wood is like that for me too, just love the smell of it burning.  JD chips, chunks are a close second.

Sorry but RO sucks. Rockwood is the shiznit. Clean in 10 minutes. Last time in Salado it took forever to stop smelling like a&&

If I wanted to cook in 10, with neutral lump, I'd buy a gasser.
    Cuts into the drinking time, rook.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    The entire "clean neutral taste" thing befuddles me. If you really need this, why are you cooking over lump and not the kitchen oven? 

But I come from the smoker Q world where we accept and seek the smoke taste and nuances............. ;)
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Reefer82
    Reefer82 Posts: 11
    Options
    I've yet to try RO.    I've used Green egg, Kamado Joe Big Chunk, Cowboy, Simple Truth (local grocery brand when I was in a pinch), and Fogo.  So far I like the KJ and the Fogo the best.  The green egg imo wasn't really any better than the other two.  Maybe less sparking but burn consistency, temps, etc all pretty well the same.  The KJ and Fogo had a distinct difference in smell as well as taste, which were preferred by the family.  

The big chunks regardless of brand are great on the low n slow cooks.  I don't really sort bags but I do tend to buy 2 or 3 at a time and will toss some of the really large pieces aside for those special, longer cooks.  Makes for a predictable experience so I'm not stuck with what happens to be left.  Being newer to kamados having consistency while learning the ropes is nice.  I used about 7 large chunks for a butt yesterday which more or less filled the firebox of my KJ classic and it burned for 9hrs at arou d 275 and there's still easily enough left for another meal or two.  

I'll usually clean out the grill every couple bags, it only takes a few minutes and for me has kept things consistent.  I can tell the difference in control/temps when it's getting close to being ready to clean.  
  • charliebatutis
    Options
    This thread is great. Too funny!
  • SandyHookEgger
    Options
    This thread is great. Too funny!
    Lump discussions are entertaining.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Reefer82 said:
    I've yet to try RO.    I've used Green egg, Kamado Joe Big Chunk, Cowboy, Simple Truth (local grocery brand when I was in a pinch), and Fogo.  So far I like the KJ and the Fogo the best.  The green egg imo wasn't really any better than the other two.  Maybe less sparking but burn consistency, temps, etc all pretty well the same.  The KJ and Fogo had a distinct difference in smell as well as taste, which were preferred by the family.  

The big chunks regardless of brand are great on the low n slow cooks.  I don't really sort bags but I do tend to buy 2 or 3 at a time and will toss some of the really large pieces aside for those special, longer cooks.  Makes for a predictable experience so I'm not stuck with what happens to be left.  Being newer to kamados having consistency while learning the ropes is nice.  I used about 7 large chunks for a butt yesterday which more or less filled the firebox of my KJ classic and it burned for 9hrs at arou d 275 and there's still easily enough left for another meal or two.  

I'll usually clean out the grill every couple bags, it only takes a few minutes and for me has kept things consistent.  I can tell the difference in control/temps when it's getting close to being ready to clean.  
    @Reefer82 The Big Green Egg charcoal is Royal Oak. It says it right on the bag but it's not super obvious for obvious reasons. You can save a few bucks and buy the normal Royal Oak lump charcoal. The extra $ is for the label to say Big Green Egg on it.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited August 2017
    Options
    WeberWho said:

The Big Green Egg charcoal is Royal Oak. It says it right on the bag but it's not super obvious for obvious reasons. You can save a few bucks and buy the normal Royal Oak lump charcoal. The extra $ is for the label to say Big Green Egg on it.
    Kind of weird for me to defend or elaborate on the competition's business, but I'm a BGE dealer too and stock their charcoal.  So I'll throw in some food for thought here without giving too many details......

The statement above is only partially true.  With a big company with dozens of plants, a generic bag could be from any of them.  You might see a big difference depending where you are in the country due to the local woods, type of kilns (concrete vs steel vs retort), humidity, personnel, etc.  But with specific label it's usually only coming from one plant.  So, it *could* be more consistent from bag to bag with a smaller production label *if* it's only coming from one place.

Companies like Anheuser-Busch are super anal about having the same quality/consistency between operations (at least they used to be before InBev.)  I don't know if it's still happens, but every one of their breweries used to have daily samples flown to the St. Louis HQ for tasting and testing.   You're not going to see that kind of attention in the charcoal industry.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    If you're a lump-head, this might make for some interesting reading.

http://www.fao.org/docrep/x5555e/x5555e09.htm

Options
    Focker said:
    henapple said:
    Focker said
    RO 'til I die!

If I wanted to cook on crap I use a gasser. Ro is not good in the field of competition. Please. 

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    henapple said:
    Focker said:
    henapple said:
    Focker said
    RO 'til I die!

If I wanted to cook on crap I use a gasser. Ro is not good in the field of competition. Please. 

I think that's a super philosophy Will.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."