Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Veggies on the Egg

This is a kind of boring post. I am trying to cook a little healthier these days, and so last night I fixed chipotle chicken; when that was done, I loaded up a basket with veggies. The tomatoes are Juliet, which is kind of a roma grape tomato. I marinated them in olive oil, basil, maple syrup, Frank's hot sauce, salt and pepper, which was very tasty. The peppers and onions just had a bit of olive oil, s&p and garlic powder. Everything was delicious. Oh, and I had to get a new plant for under the Egg, as the petunia was looking straggly. So, like I said, nothing too exciting. But certainly a good meal.
Normal, IL 
Minimax

Comments

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    I love grilled veggies on the Egg. 

Looking good, @itzann
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Egged veggies are the bomb.  Good MM workout.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Boring? Tonight, I'm cooking green beans (pressure cooker), corn on the cob (grilled) and pork tenderloin (grilled). The pork was an afterthought. I am at Mom's house and have only her stove and my Akorn Jr. No egg, but I love the Akorn!!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• itzann
    itzann Posts: 35
    Carolina Q I didn't mean that vegetables were boring...just that my post was nothing terribly exciting, ha! Your meal sounds delicious. I have grilled a lot of pork tenderloin this summer (6 of them to take to a family reunion, 8 of them to serve at a shower, and several here and there to serve to company)...so I am getting pretty good at that....but need to branch out to something else...it is easy to keep grilling the same thing. Perhaps will try pizzas next...loaded with veggies to keep it sort of healthy.
    Normal, IL 
    Minimax
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    They look great!  I hardly ever grill veggies, and I need to work on that.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    They look great... veggies are vital
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Summer veggies on the grill are what produce is all about. Very nice....and far from boring. The colors pop. Enjoy.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Thanks for posting ... I like the idea of Maple syrup, will try that, with Canadian Maple Syrup of course.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • It all looks real tasty. I do like grilling squash( acorn, zucchini, and yellow) just slice 1/4" thick with s&p and olive oil.
    and grilled green tomatoes.
  • itzann
    It all looks real tasty. I do like grilling squash( acorn, zucchini, and yellow) just slice 1/4" thick with s&p and olive oil.
    and grilled green tomatoes.
    That sounds delicious! I might add a few onions to that, too!
    Normal, IL 
    Minimax
  • I've had to learn some veggie recipes, there are some good ones in the forums, since my son and daughter in law are vegetarian.
    I do an onion like a baked potatoe, skin it and wrap in foil with butter or olive oil, and garlic. On the grill for about half the time of a baked potatoe.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Very nice. I have learned that a good quality maple syrup is a secret ingredient that adds a nice dimension to many things we cook. Thanks for posting. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • itzann
    SciAggie said:
    Very nice. I have learned that a good quality maple syrup is a secret ingredient that adds a nice dimension to many things we cook. Thanks for posting. 
    Thank you. I get 100% pure maple syrup at Aldi's for a good price. Because my marinade for these Juliet grilled tomatoes was so tasty, I went ahead and tried it on sliced tomatoes (minus the olive oil)..that was also very good, and something to change things up when it comes to eating tomatoes at almost every meal right now.
    Normal, IL 
    Minimax
  • bjeans
    bjeans Posts: 191
    So nice! I haven't tried basketed veggies yet, or used maple syrup as a secret ingredient, but will now. Syrup from Tonewood Maple - www.tonewoodmaple.com is my go to. Nice people, small business. The syrup isn't mixed together from different sugarbushes like many grocery store syrups are, even if 100% maple. Super solids too - blocks, flakes. 

Your table is really nice. And there's a crescent moon in the lid of your mm. : )

Beth
    Ex LBGE owner and current BGE liker 
  • itzann
    bjeans said:
    So nice! I haven't tried basketed veggies yet, or used maple syrup as a secret ingredient, but will now. Syrup from Tonewood Maple - www.tonewoodmaple.com is my go to. Nice people, small business. The syrup isn't mixed together from different sugarbushes like many grocery store syrups are, even if 100% maple. Super solids too - blocks, flakes. 

Your table is really nice. And there's a crescent moon in the lid of your mm. : )

Beth
    Thank you! Good to know about the maple syrup. How do you use the solid maple sugar blocks/flakes? Thanks for the compliment on the little table. My husband and I built it, based on a simiilar table I had seen on the forum. When I took that photo I had to think for a minute where that crescent moon was coming from, ha. I have found with my basketed veggies to not overdo the olive oil or it will drip thru and smoke...I use just enough so that the seasoning sticks ...works a little better that way. 
    Normal, IL 
    Minimax
  • bjeans
    bjeans Posts: 191
    edited August 2017
    Thanks for the olive oil tip. I've just grated a cube over oatmeal and French toast, and used flakes the same way plus on salads, sweet potatoes, veggies - nothing creative.

The flakes are crispy so a nice last minute touch. They have a recipe I'd like to try for grilled Korean flank steak tacos using flakes. I may skip the shell. There's a maple pepper seasoning too, but I've been thinking about adding granules to regular pepper - or may buy it once.

https://www.tonewoodmaple.com/blogs/recipe-blog/maple-flank-steak-tacos

Thanks for posting the inspiration.

Beth
    Ex LBGE owner and current BGE liker 
  • Webass
    Webass Posts: 259
    For quick and easy, I buy the packaged fresh broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots. I add a cut up Vidalia/sweet onion and a red bell pepper.  Toss it all in olive oil and some seasoned, put it all in the basket and grill direct.  For a little variety sometime I'll add some sesame oil, szechuan, or siracha, just before taking it off.   

Lenoir City, TN -  Bama fan in Tenn Vol's backyard. 

LBGE, Weber Spirit 

• itzann
    Webass said:
    For quick and easy, I buy the packaged fresh broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots. I add a cut up Vidalia/sweet onion and a red bell pepper.  Toss it all in olive oil and some seasoned, put it all in the basket and grill direct.  For a little variety sometime I'll add some sesame oil, szechuan, or siracha, just before taking it off.   
    That sounds very good, too! 
    Normal, IL 
    Minimax
  • itzann
    bjeans said:
    Thanks for the olive oil tip. I've just grated a cube over oatmeal and French toast, and used flakes the same way plus on salads, sweet potatoes, veggies - nothing creative.

The flakes are crispy so a nice last minute touch. They have a recipe I'd like to try for grilled Korean flank steak tacos using flakes. I may skip the shell. There's a maple pepper seasoning too, but I've been thinking about adding granules to regular pepper - or may buy it once.

https://www.tonewoodmaple.com/blogs/recipe-blog/maple-flank-steak-tacos

Thanks for posting the inspiration.

Beth
    I took a look at that recipe for the Korean flank steak tacos, and the first part of it for the marinated cucumbers sounds delicious even as a side dish. May have to give it a try as we have some cucumbers to use up. 

You mentioned being a newbie to the Egg. I am as well, having just purchased the Minimax this spring. The forum has been a great help to me.
    Normal, IL 
    Minimax
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Not boring at all @itzann , veggies on the grill are very underrated.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166

Nice plate of good stuff there. Veggies on the grill are always welcomed at this abode.

Have you grilled fruit? It is my favorite dessert. Apples, melons, pineapple, peaches, berries, avocados and all else.

Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Agree with all above - grilled veggies are a fovorite - we usually just use S&P and olive oil.  That's all they need IMO
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • itzann

Nice plate of good stuff there. Veggies on the grill are always welcomed at this abode.

Have you grilled fruit? It is my favorite dessert. Apples, melons, pineapple, peaches, berries, avocados and all else.

Thank you! I sure do enjoy grilled veggies. You mentioned avocados, and my son-in-law grills those and they definitely are good. I hadn't thought of grilling fruit, but will add it to the list!

Normal, IL 
    Minimax
  • itzann
    Agree with all above - grilled veggies are a fovorite - we usually just use S&P and olive oil.  That's all they need IMO
    I also use a little garlic powder, but probably would taste pretty good without adding it. Sometimes I think we can mask some of the natural good taste of things with too much seasoning.... You are right...sometimes a little salt and pepper is really all that is needed. 
    Normal, IL 
    Minimax
  • Nothing boring about that post. Thanks for sharing. 
  • itzann
    Nothing boring about that post. Thanks for sharing. 
    Thank you! I cooked more chicken and veggies this weekend. I got a picture of the chicken this time. For the veggies, I included red yard-long beans, as well as zucchini this time.
    Normal, IL 
    Minimax