Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blackstone question

Options
How long does it take surface area to heat up? 
Memphis raised me, T-Town made me...Aint never been nothing but a winner

Comments

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Relatively quickly.  Depends on outside temp and how windy it is. 

I typically pre-heat it on low while I gather all my supplies.  Once I'm ready outside, I crank it up and am cooking in a few minutes. 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Just a couple minutes on the 36, ready to cook in 5 for sure.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • mgoblue0484
    Options
    Would you recommend the 28 or 36?

GO BLUE!

Fairfax, Va

• johnnyp
    Options
    Lol.  You're taking to a group of enablers. Go big or go home 
  • mgoblue0484
    Options
    I like the benefit of 4 burners. Plenty of room.

GO BLUE!

Fairfax, Va

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Real estate is nice, I'd go 36.  Even if cooking for two - bacon, eggs, toast, hash browns - takes up a lot of space.

You'll never wish you had gone smaller, imo.
    Phoenix 
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    36!
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    I agree with everyone above. Just my wife and I and the 36" gets used up majority of the time. Especially if you have friends and family over. If you're not using the whole surface you can just shut down whatever you don't need. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Scott805
    Scott805 Posts: 349
    Options
    I recently picked up the 22" and it has been working great for just the wife and I.  Last weekend I cooked breakfast for four and it was a little tight!

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I have a 17. More than enough room for my needs. Heats up quick, one lb canister seems to last forever. Cooked my 5th or 6th meal on a cylinder last night. Still not empty. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I have the 28 and it's fine for a family of four.  There are times though when having the 36 would have been nice.  I bought the 28 during the Wally World sale last January for 99 scoots.  I couldn't pass that up.  The 36 was not on sale and was waaaaay more.
    Flint, Michigan
  • BowTieMan
    Options
    Hey friends, how often do these go on sale?  Any chance they throw us a bone around Labor Day?
  • johnnyp
    edited August 2017
    Options
    BowTieMan said:
    Hey friends, how often do these go on sale?  Any chance they throw us a bone around Labor Day?
    Walmart always has big time close out pricing on seasonal items.

They likely won't have any advertised sales, but will drastically discount at the store level.  check often between now and Labor Day 

Last year, my local Walmart had blackstone 28s for $75.  Akorn Jrs were recently going for as low as $35.
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    I just got one and it seems to have a lot of yellow in the flame when turned up to high. Going to get it in a table with egg soon.
  • johnnyp
    Options
    Tspud1 said:
    I just got one and it seems to have a lot of yellow in the flame when turned up to high. Going to get it in a table with egg soon.
    Just my .02 here, but the blackstone isn't made of uber-premium materials.  Fully expect it last about as long as a gasser (meaning it may need replacing in a few years). That could make a table mounted version a real PITA.  

But if you decide to do it, post your build.  I'd love to see it! 
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    Hands down the 36..  you will love it.... 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    Tspud1 said:
    Just my .02 here, but the blackstone isn't made of uber-premium materials.  Fully expect it last about as long as a gasser (meaning it may need replacing in a few years). That could make a table mounted version a real PITA.  

But if you decide to do it, post your build.  I'd love to see it! 
    John is correct, unless you're able to shelter it.  My BS lives on a screened porch covered when not in use.  Should last a good while.  
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    BowTieMan said:
    Check brick seek, my local Walmart has them for $125.  I already have one so I passed. 
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
     I have both a 36" and a 28" version. I could not pass up buying the 28 for a hundred dollars last year. But the 36" is so much more versatile with 4 burners. You can have multiple heat zones. If you have the space and if the cost is no object the 36" Blackstone is pretty dam good!
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim