Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Knife Tuesday

Options
FanOfFanboys
FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
edited August 2017 in Off Topic
So, technically the knife arrived Monday but I wasn't feeling well so here we are

The model of this knife is called the Backpacker. It is an all-around camp knife that is versatile enough for bush crafting and skinning 

The steel is 15n20, which is what they use to make giant sawmills from. Tough, toothy, and takes a beating

But the real pride and joy is the wood. It is over 200 years old. Reclaimed wood the Bill the Buther's ferry (William Poole)

If you have seen Gangs of New York you would recognize the name

Boom

Comments

• FanOfFanboys
    Options
    It will get a lot of kitchen use just because I can't have a knife like this and not use it as much as possible ha
    Boom
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    What's the black schmutz on the top half of the blade?
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Personally that's what makes that knife unique and sets if off from run of the mill knives in the vendor's knife show case. Just like my Gridlifter handle from LawnRanger - I know there is no other handle like mine in the world! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    with as many knives as I have bought from this guy with that on there you would think I would know or would have asked but never really thought about it

I just assume purely decorative but I will ask and report back. See what it is, if any benefit, etc
    Boom
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    I'm guessing carbon from the forging process?
  • RRP
    Options
    BTW - I see that is a Kydex sheath. I have several sheets of Kydex that I keep intending to make some custom sheathes myself for a a few of my favorite knives. I just have too many irons in the fire and you guys think retirement means lots of time on your hands!  =)
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    I'm guessing carbon from the forging process?
    Maybe. I have several knives from without that and I have seen hundreds he has made, both with and without that. So if it is then he has the option to remove. Which would also imply decorative, I think
    Boom
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    On Japanese knives that is called a kurouchi finish. It is what it looks like right from the forging  process. Mostly an aesthetic thing which you either like or you don't. It also lessens reactivity so it does have an actual benefit.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• FanOfFanboys
    Options
    RRP said:
    BTW - I see that is a Kydex sheath. I have several sheets of Kydex that I keep intending to make some custom sheathes myself for a a few of my favorite knives. I just have too many irons in the fire and you guys think retirement means lots of time on your hands!  =)
    nice!

I plan on ordering a large teklok for the sheath for carry
    Boom
  • RRP
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Cool!